Iowa State is the Big 12's Most Interesting Weirdo (according to USA Today)

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It amazes me that people who get paid to write about things seem to do very little, if any research on these things and know so little about these things. It's your ******* job. You should be spending 8 hours a day just learning things about sports. Seriously, what are you doing with your time? The worst aren't these people making a meager living while writing, it's guys like Bayless and Wright who have made careers out of not knowing anything.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This is a significantly less quality version of several articles written about this team 1-2 weeks ago.

That, and the writer doesn't know how to do math or look at a schedule - we're already averaging more than 25 points per game (26.9) with games against KU, Baylor, K-State, and Incarnate Word left on the schedule.

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
I read this article last night and just thought... hmm i don't think they've watched any of our games but it has a great title and its good to get the publicity from outlets that aren't just local.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
"...we are talking about a team that might go to a bowl game this year averaging less than 25 points per game."

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I highly doubt we end up averaging < 25/game. We're averaging 39 in the last three games since our "less potent Freshman replacement Brock Purdy" took over the reins.

And I'm pretty much at the point where I just let all of the "less talented" stuff roll off my back. This team is talented and isn't just winning on scheme. Just ask the Tech defender that Montgomery stiff-armed to the grass on Saturday.

...or the multiple Big 12 d-backs that Hakeem Butler has literally thrown down or thrown aside while blocking or running with the ball.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Didn't see this posted anywhere. If so, mods feel free to merge.

Not sure if I agree with everything they have to say but it is interesting.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/10/27/iowa-state-is-the-big-12s-most-interesting-weirdo/
giphy.gif

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The gist of the article is correct...

They're dead wrong about Kempt/Purdy of course- and only pass rushing 3. Heacock has been very creative with blitzes lately.

Its like someone getting a math problem right but when you read their work as to how they got there its all ****** up.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
If you just count the Purdy games we'd be ranked 11th in FBS in scoring. It's also worth pointing out that most teams play some cupcakes for their first few games of the year so if anything their scoring stats are inflated compared to ours.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If you just count the Purdy games we'd be ranked 11th in FBS in scoring. It's also worth pointing out that most teams play some cupcakes for their first few games of the year so if anything their scoring stats are inflated compared to ours.

I'd like to think ISU would have scored at least 30 in the SDSU game.

And probably more vs. Iowa as a result of having some experience and film.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don't think CMC desires a potent offense but rather an efficient one.

Forgive the math I'm going from memory here. If you look at Tech's true net offense it was far less than what the stats showed.

They threw the ball 56 time for 326 yards one td three picks. To start the pick six negates the TD but when you factor the yards lost from not punting each time and further subtract the return yards your looking at 56 plays which netted Tech between 125-150 yards. Add that to only 100 or so yards rushing and you see how dominant our D actually was on Saturday.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
"The Cyclones don’t have an athletic advantage over many Power 5 teams"

Yeah... Chuck Bruce and Hakeem Butler say hi.

Reactions: ca4cy

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don't think CMC desires a potent offense but rather an efficient one.

Forgive the math I'm going from memory here. If you look at Tech's true net offense it was far less than what the stats showed.

They threw the ball 56 time for 326 yards one td three picks. To start the pick six negates the TD but when you factor the yards lost from not punting each time and further subtract the return yards your looking at 56 plays which netted Tech between 125-150 yards. Add that to only 100 or so yards rushing and you see how dominant our D actually was on Saturday.

Tech had 24 carries for 30 yards rushing. I think they subtract the two sacks out of that, but still impressive.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Please let this program sustain success long enough to shrug these false assumptions everyone has about ISU. The narrative that we are at a significant talent deficit is so lazy a writer should have their press pass pulled for suggesting it. We had better players than Texas Tech at most positions.