Clear path to B12 Champ Game

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If we lose to Texas, then they will have to lose 2 other games for us to finish ahead of them. This is all assuming OU finishes first of course.
So, let’s just go ahead and beat Texas?

I’ve been interested in the tendency of people here to play up opponents as huge challenges as game week begins. We saw how that played out against OSU and WVU, and people still tried it with Tech.

Seriously, folks. Without our own mistakes, the score should have been what, 40-17? 40-10? Maybe even 40-7?

Now I’m just waiting to see who the first person is who suggests just how “tough” KU really is. After all, they just won a game, right?

Really.

• Agree
Reactions: Naddafinga

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
There are two elements to making the conference title game, the game at Texas and the three other conference games. At this point it appears the Texas game would be close to 50/50 on a neutral field, so we will be a moderate to slight underdog there. The other three we have somewhere between an 80% to 85% chance to win each (so a little over a 50% chance to sweep all three).

The odds of making the title game with a loss at Texas are extremely slim. The odds if we beat Texas, but lose one of the other three are better but still not great. (We would be helped by having the head-to-head tie breaker over WV and UT.) If we beat Texas and win the other three, the odds of making the title game are about as good as they are slim if we lose to Texas (roughly 95% and 5% respectively).

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Just watched the end of game shenanigans with OSU and UT (Herman going ballistic)... When we play Texas - especially if it's for something special like conference champ game we will win for 1 simple reason. Hermann and his squad while maybe - maybe - more talented, they lack the emotional discipline at the most crucial moments and will be reflection of their coach.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's not a clear path but it's fun that it's a possibility heading into November two years in a row.

Suppose it was like that in '04 and '05 but that was also relying on the North Division and bottom of the south division.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
The goal is to WIN the CCG. Not just make it to the CCG.

We have two very winnable games coming up. We need to clean up a lot of issues if we want to head into Austin and then Dallas and burn down the whole power structure of the Big 12.

We need to just focus on getting better every week and the rest will sort itself out.

To address the OP's point, UT losing cleared away a major roadblock. If ISU wins out, ISU will hold head to head tie breakers against 3 of the 4 other teams still in the hunt. UT and TT would have 2 conference losses and we would edge them out. WVU drops one mor game and we are in ahead of them. Would need OU to drop 2 more games to edge them out.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Have to take care of KU/Baylor first but then we would only be a 7 point dog or so at Texas.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So... ISU wins out, WVU beats OU at home, loses to UT on the road, WVU\OU\UT win out otherwise... 4 way tie at #1?

I believe with the tiebreakers that would be an ISU-Texas CCG

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I’m all for optimism and I really hope we end up in the Big 12 Championship but I’m still not convinced this team can win out. At Texas is going to be tough, even if they did just get beat by Oklahoma State
Where was his optimism? It was just stating a fact.

Reactions: heitclone

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
So, let’s just go ahead and beat Texas?

I’ve been interested in the tendency of people here to play up opponents as huge challenges as game week begins. We saw how that played out against OSU and WVU, and people still tried it with Tech.

Seriously, folks. Without our own mistakes, the score should have been what, 40-17? 40-10? Maybe even 40-7?

Now I’m just waiting to see who the first person is who suggests just how “tough” KU really is. After all, they just won a game, right?

Really.
I'm confused.Just because we rolled some teams doesn't mean other teams can't be challenges.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Haven't seen it posted elsewhere yet, so I will just say . . .

UNDEFEATED IN OCTOBER FOR 2 YEARS RUNNING!

So, once again we are entering November with actual meaningful discussion about the Big 12 Championship game and not just about being the spoiler.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I mean, we hope those mistakes get fixed but its not like those mistakes aren't along the lines of things we've seen since day 1. We've been atrocious on special teams most of the season and teams have identified and keyed in on those weaknesses. This is who we are as a team and until we show we've fixed that should consider that in any sort of prediction on the future.

That being said, our remaining schedule is all 'winnable' games. Most of them are games we should win barring a major fuckup. Texas is the big challenge. Winnable, but we certainly won't be favored.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
We care about 2 things.
1) We win out
2) Somebody beats WVU

That's it.

Personally i think it would also be fun to say we finished #1 in the regular season standings.

We'd also be the #1 seeded team after the tiebreakers in that scenario, i believe.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Haven't seen it posted elsewhere yet, so I will just say . . .

UNDEFEATED IN OCTOBER FOR 2 YEARS RUNNING!

So, once again we are entering November with actual meaningful discussion about the Big 12 Championship game and not just about being the spoiler.

Also,

2 WEEKS IN A ROW OF HOLDING THE OPPONENT'S RUSHING TO LESS THAN THE LENGTH OF THE BUS THAT BROUGHT THEM TO THE STADIUM!

Kudos to Jeff Woody for this great stat a few weeks ago.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Just watched the end of game shenanigans with OSU and UT (Herman going ballistic)... When we play Texas - especially if it's for something special like conference champ game we will win for 1 simple reason. Hermann and his squad while maybe - maybe - more talented, they lack the emotional discipline at the most crucial moments and will be reflection of their coach.

is he a total **** or what? He made Mike Gundy look like a prince

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
things get more complicated if we end up in 3-4 way ties.

If ISU, OU and UT all finish with 2 loses, the head to head also is a tie because we all would be 1-1 against the other two.

We should win tiebreaker since our other loss was to a team lower in standings. That is we beat the teams higher in standings. So also root against TCU.

If WVU also joins the other 3 at 2 losses, that would mean they beat OU and lost to Texas. We would be 2-1 vs others and so would Texas and we would play Texas.

There are other less likely scenarios that could complicate things and keep us out, but if WVU loses one more and we win out, chances are very, very high we win any tiebreaker.