Jack Trice as Most Intimidating Stadium

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Slightly off topic, but I felt like the crowd did a pretty good job of getting back to their seats for the start of Q3 against WVU. The stadium felt full all night long. My bet is that consistently good football becomes "must see" and that people find their way to their seats in all areas of the stadium when there's action on the field. The whole re-entry thing will take care of itself. As for SEZ, can't blame folks for warming up behind the glass now and then.

I have also been impressed with how much earlier more fans are getting in the stadium. Our usual goal is to be in there about 30 minutes ahead of kick. We are certainly on the early side but the place is generally full at kick where that used to take a while after the kickoff for people to decide to come in.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
The paddles are not banned, but they are required to stop the paddling before the ball is snapped. That has just been instituted in the last year or two. They used to beat those things the entire time that the visitors had the ball. That has been precluded now.

As someone mentioned, Woody said you don't even hear those things on the field. I think it makes your fan base look desperate and imbecilic.

Who you calling imbecilic?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I would love to see a section use paddles like they do down at Oklahoma State. When they hammer those things on the sides of the walls, it's very loud and intimidating. K-State does the same thing.

Jeff Woody actually commented on OSU's paddles on KXNO a couple weeks ago. He said that they really aren't that loud and weren't a distraction at all.

Edit: Cyclonedave beat me to it.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Now, let's take it to the next level with some serious foot-stomping on the metal flooring in the Sukup South End Zone and lower level corner sections, especially when an opponent is on offense on the south end. Ben Bruns has talked about how foot-stomping on the metal was part of the design for the new south end zone.

It needs to be you guys in Sections 17, 18, 19, 23, 24, 25 (lower level corners) leading the way (as it is probably unrealistic to think that it will start with the Sukup Club folks).

Would not want them to spill their beers or mixed drinks.....

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I would love to see a section use paddles like they do down at Oklahoma State. When they hammer those things on the sides of the walls, it's very loud and intimidating. K-State does the same thing.

I'd love to use a paddle on you for such an outrageous, stupid opinion. :D

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
Jeff Woody mentioned in a podcast that those paddles can’t even be heard on the field. Basically said it was a waste of effort and better off just yelling.

Also heard Jeff talk about this. You can hear them on the TV broadcasts, makes me wonder if they place sound dishes or microphones near them to enhance the perceived atmosphere?

LowOverhead

Jun 15, 2015
Was SE Iowa
Hilton was a sterile environment without the sound of the aluminum bleachers of the armory. Stomping on concrete did nothing but make shin splints. Thank gawd the Magic replaced the aluminum.

Please no slapping paddles. Damned annoying on TV. It must have some prestige or honor to say, “I’m a slapper”.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

I’ve been to games in Stillwater. You have no clue they are even doing it. You can’t hear them in person.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We have mobile tickets and got the lower bowl section right next to the SEZ club for West Virginia. Stomping on the bleachers was the best thing ever! It's definitely a tempting reason to pay more to get tickets in the lower bowl in the future.

This is the spirit of what I was hoping for in this thread. If everyone in the lower level was stomping, the south endzone would be so intimidating!

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
I’ve been to games in Stillwater. You have no clue they are even doing it. You can’t hear them in person.

Yea, but they must be true fans if they can slap it all game long. Ah, to be young again.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Damn exhibitionists.
sling-slingers-stretch-featuring-nick-offerman-megan-mullally-large-6.jpg