Friday OT - I Used To Eat Sardines For Dinner

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm in Minneapolis right now and asking every person and no one has heard of this phenomenon. I'm calling shenanigans

You also have to ask if they are 30 or over. Cinnamon rolls for lunch got outlawed, I asked the head cook at the local school a couple years ago and they are not allowed anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: Angie

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
A northern Iowa high school, which I will not name, was famous for their bad/strange school lunch. One of their more spectacular achievements was "burrito surprise." That's how it was listed on the day's lunch menu.

From all outward appearances, it appeared to be a normal burrito. It was a typical frozen burrito, heated up in the oven and served to hungry high school students. The surprise came when you cut/bit into it. Inside, in addition to the expected burrito filling: ground meat, beans, cheese, was a full sized hotdog. Not exactly what you'd expect in a burrito. Then came the dawning realization that hotdogs had been served for lunch the previous Friday.

The lunchroom staff had an excess of leftover hotdogs that they didn't know what to do with. So, they decided to thaw out a bunch of frozen burritos, open them up, shove a hotdog in there, close them back up again, and then cook/serve them several days later.

A few people claimed to have enjoyed them. Many, many more did not.

@Stewo: Do not let a mess section read this. You'll regret it forever.

• Funny
Reactions: Stewo and NWICY

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
We had wiener winks. Hot dogs wrapped in toasted bread. I liked those but god knows how they got the bread to stick without tooth picks.

Retangle pizza was great. Chili and cinnamon rolls were great but such an odd combo.

We had these peanut butter dessert bars that were sort of like blondie brownies without the chocolate chips. And Kickapoo bars.

You know what's a super-unfortunate name? "Weiner winks."

Regional Iowa thing....grew up in central Iowa and never had it. Moved to NW Iowa and everybody does it.

My fave...peanut butter bars with peanut butter frosting.

I grew up in central Iowa and we had them at least a few times a month! We'd often do kolaches instead of just regular cinnamon rolls w/chili, though (cinnamon roll w/apple streusel stuff in the middle). We have a couple who brings cinnamon rolls to every chili cookoff at work.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Man, all of your lunches sound better than the ones we had.
I actually liked taco salads the most. It was just a regular salad with a few tortilla chips and a little bit of cold taco meat.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
We had wiener winks. Hot dogs wrapped in toasted bread. I liked those but god knows how they got the bread to stick without tooth picks.

Retangle pizza was great. Chili and cinnamon rolls were great but such an odd combo.

We had these peanut butter dessert bars that were sort of like blondie brownies without the chocolate chips. And Kickapoo bars.

I almost forgot about wiener winks (or forgot what they were called). We had those, too. And Kickapoo bars, those rocked, even though the name doesn't sound too desirable.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
The greasy, flimsy rectangle pizza as many have noted - that was always a highlight even though it was bad really. S*** on a shingle was decent usually (sliced turkey w gravy, not ground beef).

Anyone else have the bag milk with stabby straws? My kids think it's an urban legend and don't believe me...

You had sliced turkey on your **** on a shingle?? We had to deal with whatever Carl Budding came with, and it was always beef. Always.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
One of my least-favorite meals in elementary school was "baked luncheon loaf" (a generic name for Spam) and sauerkraut. It still makes me queasy thinking about, decades later.

... I have a feeling I'll get some Dislikes for that assessment.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
One of my least-favorite meals in elementary school was "baked luncheon loaf" (a generic name for Spam) and sauerkraut. It still makes me queasy thinking about, decades later.

... I have a feeling I'll get some Dislikes for that assessment.

This thread is about school lunches?? In that case, give me burrito bar all day.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Taco, and I would chop it up and make it into a kinda-sorta taco salad.

I would mix corn with my make-shift taco salad, and other kids would bash me for that. I would come back with "do you know what a taco shell is made of?"

Reactions: Angie

Help Support Us

Become a patron