When did you become a Cyclone?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Born early 80s and was kinda born into it but definitely the bball games in the early 90s with Thigpen and Hoiberg.

Hilton today seems more like an organized kinda crazy...when the seating was different it was a hornets nest.

I don't know if he was the reason but **** you Bruce V anyway.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
1976, my older sister's freshman year in 1976. (We had no family connection to the school prior to that, so no such tradition).

I remember when she came home on some weekends talking about how good the team was, after she had attended a few games and experienced it.

If memory is reliable, the first game I was able to see on TV (possibly a WOI statewide feed?) was that same season, at Colorado. ISU was ranked that week, I think. It was rare to get television coverage during regular season unless you one of the handful of mega-programs.

I don't recall that much about the game, I do remember Iowa State losing. That's the year CU went to the Orange Bowl and ISU didn't get a bowl bid, I only realized that in retrospect reading The Bomb the next spring.

If that's the game I'm thinking it is, announcers made a point prior to kickoff that it was an unusual start time -- it was 11 a.m. Central, i.e., 10 a.m. Mountain time. Fans who remember that era more clearly can verify/dispute that.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I’m still mad Braswell got screwed by the NCAA

Right? Apparently KU and Adidas can steer $100,000 to a kid today and probably get away with it. Jeff Braswell gets a ride to Des Moines for a class and a McDonalds meal and gets declared ineligible. wtf

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
I was born and raised rooting for the bad guys (TOE), in fact even went to the Tom Davis basketball camp, but never disliked the good guys growing up. Came time to choose a college and I wanted into a good engineering program, and finally began to see the light of the indoctrination that I had received growing up in southeastern Iowa. From my first visit on campus I was hooked and will be a lifelong Iowa State fan.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Grew up Iowa fan. Was Cyclone neutral my freshman year, went to home BB/FB games and watched/listened to road games but wasn't really living and dying with the results. Became a real Cyclone fan my sophomore year when we snapped the losing streak to Iowa in '98. It got really intense the next year when we dominated the Big 12 in hoops the Fizer/Tinsley year.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
The last year at the Clyde.

I think that was the same for me if it was 1972, my freshman year. George Amundson, Mike Strachan, Jerry Moses, Ike Harris, Keith Krepfle, Merv Krakau, Matt Blair: the names I remember. We tied with Nebraska, scoring a touchdown in the last seconds, only to have our kicker miss the extra point. I don't actually recall but I'll bet it was wide right.;)

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That was my first game in the student section, I remember it well. I believe it was one of the first ever college overtime games, as the overtime rules went into effect that year and that was week one.

As to the OP question: I fall into the birth category. My parents are both alums, along with my grandfather (when it was ISC), at least 12 aunts and uncles, 2 siblings, 7 first cousins and too many to count extended family.

Your drinking, swearing, and tomfoolery caused my Grandmother to bail before my virgin ears caught fire. Thank you so very much for that. Then we lost.

:(

That game was the first regular season college game ever decided in overtime.

It was the second game overall -- they had OT for the prior bowl season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Las_Vegas_Bowl

Toledo (and Gary Pinkel) has the first OT victory in the history of college football.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
We moved to central Iowa in 1973 when I was 5. I went to a football game at Clyde
Williams with my Dad and Grandpa. I was hooked.

Reactions: Spanky

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
We moved to central Iowa in 1973 when I was 5. I went to a football game at Clyde
Williams with my Dad and Grandpa. I was hooked.

Reactions: cyclones500

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I grew up in NC Iowa & our family took many trips to Ames for "shopping," movies or dad taking us out for pizza. My older brother was a wrestler and we were big-time followers of the sport & began attending ISU wrestling events (this was back when ISU was the better program). I just naturally started liking all Cyclone sports teams. My brother and I would both go on to attend and graduate from ISU.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Early 70s. My dad took me to Clyde Williams and sat in knothole section. Awesome memories of being down on the field playing football with my brother after the games.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
This game in 1996. My grandmother (rest her soul now) took me. I was 9.

View attachment 59191

https://cyclones.com/news/1996/9/7/899698.aspx

AMES, Iowa--Cory Wedel's 41-yard field goal in overtime as Wyoming rallied from a 15-point deficit for a 41-38 victory over Iowa State.

Trailing 38-23 midway through the fourth quarter, the Cowboys (2-0) scored a pair of touchdowns to force overtime. Marcus Harris caught a 12-yard touchdown pass -- his second of the game -- from Josh Wallwork and Greg Kuhn caught the two-point conversion to close Wyoming within 38-31. Len Sexton's three-yard scoring run with 1:53 left tied the game at 38-38. Wallwork passed for four touchdowns.

Heisman Trophy candidate Troy Davis scored on a pair of touchdown runs from one yard out to help the Cyclones (0-1) to a 21-7 lead.

We had seats right next to the student section. They were a little rowdy.

We left after the third quarter, thinking we had the game in the bag, and obviously Iowa State happened. We heard it on radios while walking through the lots.

Got my Cyclone fandom started off on the right foot.

Miss you, Grandma June.

I remember Mac took the ball first in OT. EVERYBODY said ‘what are you doing?!’ He thought the offense was playing well so we should take the ball first. Smh.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
Going ISU football games in the early 1980's. My uncle was on the ISU student athletic committee in the 1970s that was involved in building what is now Jack Trice Stadium. Thus, the whole family had season tix from the time the stadium opened. Growing up in Nowheresville, IA in the 80's could be rather boring, so naturally I looked forward to Cyclone game days that were mini-family reunions in the fall. Grandma would pack up the trunk with savory fried chicken, every flavor of potato chips you could buy at HyVee, endless bags of Snickers bars, delectable homemade chocolate peanut clusters and all the Cokes I wanted. My aunt, uncle and I would throw a mini-football around in the grassy drainage ditches before and after games. Actually watching a game in a 50K seat stadium was a big thrill for a young lad from a town without out a stoplight (unless you count the one flashing yellow light on main street). Family, food, fun and fellowship were all wrapped up in Cyclone football.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
When I decided to go to Iowa State in the fall of my senior year in high school (2004). I grew up a K-State fan.

I was born in Kansas and moved to southwest Iowa when I was 6 years old. That junior year of high school I remember starting to pay attention to the Iowa State games, but I really only remember that they beat Nebraska (big deal) and then lost to Missouri to end the season and miss out on the Big 12 Championship game. I remember listening to that game on the radio at my dad's shop.

Once I arrived on campus, I became a 100% Cyclone for life.

Reactions: cyfamily

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
When Troy Davis ran all over everybody for his two seasons. Was gifted season tickets from a sweet older couple in State Center IA, when I was still in elementary school. Best gift ever.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron