MLB: The New Bartman

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
fan got Altuve's Home run called an out last night in the Astors Vs. Red Sox game. Now this guy won't suffer near what Bartman went through since the Astros did just win it last year and the Cubs were at that point still the loveable losers.

In my opinion. He should have been called out. Betts looks like he is going to catch the ball. I am not sure if the ball had crossed the line. However, if you look at betts arm at the point of the fan hitting his glove. It was straight up and down and not over the wall. Then again I am a Red Sox Homer so obviously I am bias. Here is the play if you have not seen it.

https://deadspin.com/fan-robs-jose-altuve-of-game-tying-dinger-or-maybe-rob-1829829092

• Disagree
Reactions: norseclone

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I think Betts makes the catch, but I don't know how you can assume that and it seems pretty clear that the ball was over the wall. The fan wasn't really reaching out that much. His arms were partially extended but it's not like he was leaning out over the wall, ala Jeffrey Mayer (sp?). Of course that was screwed up too. Bad call imo, but of course Joe West was involved so that should surprise absolutely no one. If you're going to put umps down the outfield lines, it ought to be somebody that has some actual range of motion and will hustle a little bit.

The best things the Astros organization could do today is come out with a very strong, public defense in favor of that fan so this doesn't turn into Bartman 2.0. Whether the call was correct or not, he did absolutely nothing wrong.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I think Betts makes the catch, but I don't know how you can assume that and it seems pretty clear that the ball was over the wall. The fan wasn't really reaching out that much. His arms were partially extended but it's not like he was leaning out over the wall, ala Jeffrey Mayer (sp?). Of course that was screwed up too. Bad call imo, but of course Joe West was involved so that should surprise absolutely no one. If you're going to put umps down the outfield lines, it ought to be somebody that has some actual range of motion and will hustle a little bit.

The best things the Astros organization could do today is come out with a very strong, public defense in favor of that fan so this doesn't turn into Bartman 2.0. Whether the call was correct or not, he did absolutely nothing wrong.

I agree. Joe West sucks. The Astros manager already came out and said that didn't cost them the game. Which is just coach talk though since that would have made it a tie game in the 9th. I still think they got it right. Jeffrey Mayer can go to hell. Just sayin

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
As an unbiased fan, that was probably the hardest fan interference call I've seen.

It looks like the ball is directly over the wall when contact is made. The fan in the white shirt has one hand on the yellow line on the top of the wall and his body is leaning towards the field, but his other arm is stretched straight across parallel to the top of the wall. He is the best point of reference and there isn't any way the ball at the point of contact isn't within a few inches of straight above the wall in either direction.

Betts is making a very difficult play, but his timing also seems perfect. Without being blocked by the fans hands it certainly appears the ball would hit the inside of his glove. Would he make the catch? There's no way to know for sure, but I don't think anyone could say definitively 'no he wouldn't' or 'yes he would.'

Based on all of that and my understanding of the rule, I think you probably stay with call on the field of an out. But it's very much a subjective call that could go either way.

Reactions: Knownothing

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
The Astros took a 5-4 lead at one point, I think the 5th inning, so them losing the game had nothing to do with this interference call.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
As an unbiased fan, that was probably the hardest fan interference call I've seen.

It looks like the ball is directly over the wall when contact is made. The fan in the white shirt has one hand on the yellow line on the top of the wall and his body is leaning towards the field, but his other arm is stretched straight across parallel to the top of the wall. He is the best point of reference and there isn't any way the ball at the point of contact isn't within a few inches of straight above the wall in either direction.

Betts is making a very difficult play, but his timing also seems perfect. Without being blocked by the fans hands it certainly appears the ball would hit the inside of his glove. Would he make the catch? There's no way to know for sure, but I don't think anyone could say definitively 'no he wouldn't' or 'yes he would.'

Based on all of that and my understanding of the rule, I think you probably stay with call on the field of an out. But it's very much a subjective call that could go either way.

Again, not his fault, but it's too bad the security guy blocks the view of the camera right on the wall. That makes the whole thing pretty clear one way or the other.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
BTW if you ever want to see some conspiracy theorist. Go to the Houston Astros message boards. Those people are crazy on like ten different things that MLB is out to get them on.

On this play I admit I am a homer and thought he should be out. However, I really think he should have been out since the field guy called him out. The other part is changing the rule. They need to make it a no opinion rule one way or the other. Not sure how they can do it but they should do it.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I thought if the ball was out of the field of play, aka, over the wall, that fan interference couldnt be called? Am I incorrect?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I thought if the ball was out of the field of play, aka, over the wall, that fan interference couldnt be called? Am I incorrect?

That is correct but there is no view to prove if it was over the fence at the time. Betts arm is straight up and it appears as though the other guy is leaning forward. So it's a judgement call.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
After all these years and especially after the Bartman incident you'd think fans would just get the heck out of the way if they are sitting in the first row and a close play is coming at you. I get it, first instinct is wanting to catch a ball but also you don't want to jeopardize your team's chances to win the game and possibly become public enemy #1 to the fans if that play possibly affects the outcome of a big game. No baseball is worth that price IMO.

As for Joe West, he is a joke and needs to hang it up. Angel Hernandez is right up there with Joe too for not being shy about inserting himself into game situations too. Here's a clip that involves some guys I can't stand in Hawk Harrelson and Ozzie Guillen but it's a perfect example of Joe West trying to make himself a part of a game and Hawk was spot on his criticism of Joe.

• Winner

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
BTW if you ever want to see some conspiracy theorist. Go to the Houston Astros message boards. Those people are crazy on like ten different things that MLB is out to get them on.

On this play I admit I am a homer and thought he should be out. However, I really think he should have been out since the field guy called him out. The other part is changing the rule. They need to make it a no opinion rule one way or the other. Not sure how they can do it but they should do it.
I didn't know @ISUCubswin was an Astros fan too

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This one drives me crazy. You heave a heavy, dense object coming at you at a high rate of speed, and you're expected to just sit there with your hands at your side and see what happens? Of course you put your hands up to protect yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: algonacy

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
This one drives me crazy. You heave a heavy, dense object coming at you at a high rate of speed, and you're expected to just sit there with your hands at your side and see what happens? Of course you put your hands up to protect yourself.

You can get out of the way

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
You can get out of the way

You can't really think it's that easy, right? You are shoulder to shoulder with people. You are trying to judge the trajectory of the ball and where it might land, which some MLB players even have trouble doing. You may try to lean out of the way, but you're also going to put your hands up.