• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Actually putting some thought into this.... We can't really have more than one football player up there....given the history

Football candidates:
Pop Warner
Jack Trice
Troy Davis

Taking Jack Trice

Basketball candidates
The Roland Rocket
Hoiberg

Johnny Orr all the way

Other
Pete Taylor because he was and is the voice of the Cyclones

.....and finally Megan Taylor. Because a lady needs to be represented, she was amazing on the court, and all of central Iowa crushed on her.

Jack Trice
Johnny Orr
Pete Taylor
Megan Taylor

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Trice
Cael
Fred
Celia

That was harder than I thought it would be. Fred, Cael, and Trice were no brainers for me and Seneca, Troy, Gable, Mccarney, and many more were really hard to turn down for the last spot. Just came down to me thinking there needed to be female representation and while she became a well known Cyclone athlete for a tragic reason, Celia is somebody who should be honored and remembered forever.

Reactions: CubsClones1

ISU85

Jun 3, 2015
Rule applies that if I have to google who you are. You don't make the list Nawal El Moutawakel.

Anybody who won an Olympic gold medal deserves consideration. And from her Wikipedia page:

"King Hassan II of Morocco telephoned El Moutawakel to give his congratulations, and he declared that all girls born the day of her victory were to be named in her honor."

Even Fred Hoiberg can't match that.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Anybody who won an Olympic gold medal deserves consideration. And from her Wikipedia page:

"King Hassan II of Morocco telephoned El Moutawakel to give his congratulations, and he declared that all girls born the day of her victory were to be named in her honor."

Even Fred Hoiberg can't match that.

imagine Trump having the power to name babies.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Actually putting some thought into this.... We can't really have more than one football player up there....given the history

Football candidates:
Pop Warner
Jack Trice
Troy Davis

Taking Jack Trice

Basketball candidates
The Roland Rocket
Hoiberg

Johnny Orr all the way

Other
Pete Taylor because he was and is the voice of the Cyclones

.....and finally Megan Taylor. Because a lady needs to be represented, she was amazing on the court, and all of central Iowa crushed on her.

Jack Trice
Johnny Orr
Pete Taylor
Megan Taylor

There needs to be a female on the Mt Rushmore even though there are candidates that are more qualified that have a thingy between their legs.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Cael Sanderson
Jamie Pollard
Fred Hoiberg
Troy Davis

Honorable mentions: Johnny Orr, Jeff Grayer, Georges Niang, Gary Thompson, Jack Trice, Dan McCarney, Dan Gable and Bill Fenelly.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
A Mt. Rushmore for all ISU athletics can’t be done correctly because it is apples and oranges. Mt. Rushmore is specifically presidents. So the candidates need to be more specified. Would Mt. Rushmore be correct if it was for all US historical figures? Probably not. We need to specify on future Mt. Rushmore threads a category. Is it for ad’s, coaches, players? More importantly I nominate Cy as Crazy Horse. I can see it now Cy mounted on a rearing horse pointing to JTS and/or Hilton.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think I'm going the route of the 4 most influential people across major sports and administration that had the biggest impacts.

Pollard - when it is all said and done and his days at ISU are over I don't know if there is 1 single person who has done more for the athletics department as a whole than Pollard has since he arrive in September 2005. Just look at all the facility upgrades, season ticket records, and growing success in several sports that have happened under his watch along with being a great ambassador for the school.

Fennelly - took a doormat program that struggled to put 100 people in the stands when he arrived in 1995 and has turned it into a respected national program that has consistently been amongst the best in attendance in the country to go with 17 NCAA appearances in 23 seasons at ISU.

Orr - this one is tough because you can make arguments for some players to take this spot too. But my reason is he's the father of Hilton Magic and if he had not taken the ISU job it's hard to tell what the program would look like today. He brought in a winning culture and built the foundation for coaches to have success after him.

Jack Trice - football is the hardest one to pick I think because we just haven't had sustained success over the years. I guess my reason for picking Trice is that his name is on the stadium and his story is so inspiring that it's hard to think of another person who will ever have the lasting legacy he has. Campbell could bring a national title to this program but I don't know how even that could compete with Jack Trice losing his life playing for this school and going through what he did during that time period. Read his letter and put into perspective of the time he wrote it and it is a perfect example of someone you want representing Iowa State on the football field.

Reactions: VeloClone