One door closes, another one opens.

Isu4meandyou

Nov 18, 2017
This Thread is dedicated to Jamie Pollard, the best AD Iowa state has ever had. You can say he failed with Jackson and Rhodes, but they were loyal sons, forever true. They deserve our respect, they wanted the best for ISU, but it just wasn't in the cards. Jamie however has absolutely cemented ISU's place in history as an institution that embraces their coaches, student athletes, and fans as family. Unfortunately the door closed on KJ and CPR, but I personally thank them for the blood, sweat, and tears they gave to ISU. But that door closed and it opened the doors for Kevin Dresser, CMC, and Steve Prohm. I don't think Iowa State's Athletics have ever been at a higher pinnacle than what they are achieving now, and what they are going to achieve in the next few years. One or more of these guys are going to get us a national championship, I guarantee it. Thank you JP for making it all possible, without you we would not be where we are, thank you sir, from this Cyclone fan(ATIC).

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
This Thread is dedicated to Jamie Pollard, the best AD Iowa state has ever had. You can say he failed with Jackson and Rhodes, but they were loyal sons, forever true. They deserve our respect, they wanted the best for ISU, but it just wasn't in the cards. Jamie however has absolutely cemented ISU's place in history as an institution that embraces their coaches, student athletes, and fans as family. Unfortunately the door closed on KJ and CPR, but I personally thank them for the blood, sweat, and tears they gave to ISU. But that door closed and it opened the doors for Kevin Dresser, CMC, and Steve Prohm. I don't think Iowa State's Athletics have ever been at a higher pinnacle than what they are achieving now, and what they are going to achieve in the next few years. One or more of these guys are going to get us a national championship, I guarantee it. Thank you JP for making it all possible, without you we would not be where we are, thank you sir, from this Cyclone fan(ATIC).
Without energizing the fan base with the Chizik and Rhodes hires, Campbell never comes here.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Open Letter Time?

Seriously though, the OP's affection for JP is well-placed. He is a great AD. He is personable, responsive and welcoming to everyone. I'd also add the McDermott hire as one that failed, but he turned around and took a risk with Hoiberg that succeeded tremendously and turned us back into a bball program of stature. On balance JP has been great for Iowa State University!

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Saw JP and wife at the Bradley Pink Cross Country Invite last Friday...he was there watching both the men's and women's teams compete. It was snowing and pretty cold, but there they were cheering the teams on! I know his son runs on the men's team, but he has been fighting some injuries/ailments.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
The upgrades in facilities and the growth we have had under Pollard have been tremendous. Jaime Pollard has the coaches in place and the programs have improved so much that Iowa State is in a very good position as we approach the coming television contracts and the Big 12 Conference future.

IMO the Big 12 is in a good position. Stay at the same number of teams with 10 unless we can gain a true P5 school that wants to bolt their conference. Maybe the Arizona schools. I would take Mizzou and Colorado back.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

Corny post but the sentiment is true.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Open letter season ended September 1st.

But OP isn't wrong. (Well, except maybe for the guaranteed national championship part.) Solid 64th post, OP.

Reactions: khardbored

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He’s here at the right time. I’m thankful that we’ve had a competent and professional AD that hasn’t derailed the natural growth of Cyclone athletics. His hiring of Hoiberg was an absolute home run, and he needed it imo. CMC appears to be the same.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
JP has been one of, if not the, most influential people on Iowa State University as a whole in recent history. The growth of our athletic department has been amazing, and let's face it, in today's society the athletic department is the face of the university for many.

Glad we have him, and hope he stays here until retirement to finish the job he has started. Either way he has left Iowa State in a much better place.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I agree JP has been great, but for me the key has been his long term strategy and vision for athletics, esp football.

Knowing our FB "history" he emphasized a positive gameday experience - make it fun at least, if it can't be about supporting a winning team. The Jr Cyclone club, emphasize fun tailgate atmosphere, better concessions and concourses, video boards and music, etc etc. It was all about making the experience of attending more enjoyable, even in defeat. And it worked. I think he knew Cyclone fans would come if you just made it fun.

At the same time, the facilities for the players were vastly improved, which helped recruiting both players and coaches.

He spent a lot of money betting on the future and it has worked. That to me, is the cleverest part of his leadership.

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy and STLISU

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
The upgrades in facilities and the growth we have had under Pollard have been tremendous. Jaime Pollard has the coaches in place and the programs have improved so much that Iowa State is in a very good position as we approach the coming television contracts and the Big 12 Conference future.

IMO the Big 12 is in a good position. Stay at the same number of teams with 10 unless we can gain a true P5 school that wants to bolt their conference. Maybe the Arizona schools. I would take Mizzou and Colorado back.

Let Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska, and Texas AnM burn as the traitors they are. Maybe one of the arizona schools and Arkansas.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
McDermott and Chizik were both good hires on paper. They were two of the hottest names in their respective sports at the time and it was impressive we were able to land them. Unfortunately, this does happen but neither hire should be a red mark on JP's resume. He also takes a lot of heat for "running" Cael Sanderson out the door. Iowa State didn't simply have the resources at the time to invest into wrestling and our the money generating sports were WAY behind in the arms race. Yeah, it sucked that Penn State basically wrote him a blank check but there was nothing JP could do. The man has done an amazing job and has been extremely loyal to Iowa State.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

Dear Mrs. Pollard,

We agree that Jamie has been a real blessing to ISU. Thanks for the post!

LSFT,
Cyclone Fanatic

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron