Pat Forde on Kansas' hoops recruiting (FBI-related)

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
UnsteadyTautAsiansmallclawedotter-size_restricted.gif

This be Bill Self right now. The sad part is that the more I read about this, the more I think Self will prevail.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Pretty much confirms what we already knew, that cheating has greatly helped KU avoid becoming some version of the Nebraska football of college basketball. Cheating has been a major contributor to their elite success over the past several decades. Recall that the notorious cheater Larry Brown stole them their title in the 80’s, and now Shoeless Self has illicitly brought them tremendous success. I can’t say the latest news now taints KU’s success, as it’s always been a little asterisk worthy.

That said, KU fans aren’t wrong in saying most of their peers in terms of success have also benefited from such behavior. And in that sense, I prefer not to see the Big 12’s flagship basketball program be the fall guy for the bluebloods.

Last edited:

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Self knows. I said he knew. How can you read one thing but not the other? He knows, but there's no evidence that he knows. They all know. Self has a working relationship with his shoe company just like all the other schools that recruit top basketball players have. The shoe company helps with recruits but the relationship is set up so that nothing gets back to the school with the exception of Louisville because Pitino was so cocky he wanted involved.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Self knows. I said he knew. How can you read one thing but not the other? He knows, but there's no evidence that he knows. They all know. Self has a working relationship with his shoe company just like all the other schools that recruit top basketball players have. The shoe company helps with recruits but the relationship is set up so that nothing gets back to the school with the exception of Louisville because Pitino was so cocky he wanted involved.

His texts and the testifying that he thanked Adidas for landing a recruit is not evidence he knew what was happening?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It’s been clear for awhile that Self’s defense has long been “tell me what you can prove and then I’ll tell you what I didn’t do”. Appalling leadership and incriminating enough to get fired by any institution with integrity.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

Disagree. Unless I see evidence that points somewhere else. Self didn't know of payments. I don't think this is widespread as the trial is making it out to be. Most of it is done through legal channels, i.e. AAU teams. There is a difference between shoe companies helping to get recruits and shoe companies just paying cash to players to go somewhere. And interestingly enough, from what I have seen from the trial so far, Ptitino is somewhat vindicated Tesitmony has been that Pitino knew nothing about payments to Bowen's dad and there is no evidence to show he knew.

In addition, you have some guys that never paid anybody they were just saying they needed money to pay players and then they kept the money for themselves.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Disagree. Unless I see evidence that points somewhere else. Self didn't know of payments. I don't think this is widespread as the trial is making it out to be. Most of it is done through legal channels, i.e. AAU teams. There is a difference between shoe companies helping to get recruits and shoe companies just paying cash to players to go somewhere. And interestingly enough, from what I have seen from the trial so far, Ptitino is somewhat vindicated Tesitmony has been that Pitino knew nothing about payments to Bowen's dad and there is no evidence to show he knew.

In addition, you have some guys that never paid anybody they were just saying they needed money to pay players and then they kept the money for themselves.

I'm glad you aren't pretending you're an ISU fan anymore but an Iowa/KU fan (the worst kind of fan alive) trolling an ISU message board makes me wonder if you need to seek help

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
No it's not evidence that stands up in court. Shoe companies are allowed to help recruit, that doesn't mean they pay kids. In the court of law you have no real evidence and actually the only evidence you have is Adidas reps saying in court that KU didn't know about payments. This is court not some message board gossip. Sure, you and me can assume Self knew something was going on with payments but there's no actual evidence of that and that's exactly how the schools have it set up.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
This trial is ongoing and there are two more trials to come including those of assistant coaches who were arrested by the FBI. This isn't going to get any better for Ku over time. I can see Self taking an NBA job.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
No it's not evidence that stands up in court. Shoe companies are allowed to help recruit, that doesn't mean they pay kids. In the court of law you have no real evidence and actually the only evidence you have is Adidas reps saying in court that KU didn't know about payments. This is court not some message board gossip. Sure, you and me can assume Self knew something was going on with payments but there's no actual evidence of that and that's exactly how the schools have it set up.

So if Self didn't know about the payments, what did he thank them for? At very least he knew that Adidas was providing benefits of some sort to a player. That means he knowingly played an ineligible player.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
This trial is ongoing and there are two more trials to come including those of assistant coaches who were arrested by the FBI. This isn't going to get any better for Ku over time. I can see Self taking an NBA job.

You do realize that those trials have nothing to do with KU or recruiting don't you? They deal with payments to the coaches and sometimes to the players but in order to secure the services of agents or financial advisers when they go pro.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Shoe companies are allowed to help recruit players. They got a commitment from a player and he thanked his shoe company that is very involved in recruiting. That doesn't mean money changed hands. We might assume Self knew there might be money involved but there's no evidence that Self knew. He was just thanking his business partner. Don't mistake this for me believing Self didn't know anything. I think he and all the other top coaches recruiting top players know money is being handed out. They may not know exact figures but they know these shoe companies are paying kids. But the system is set up so there's no evidence they know.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I'm glad you aren't pretending you're an ISU fan anymore but an Iowa/KU fan (the worst kind of fan alive) trolling an ISU message board makes me wonder if you need to seek help

Yep. Nice when the trolls get caught in the bright light. Scatter on home cockroach.

Reactions: CyTwins

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron