Fighting Halgerson's

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
How many times did they stop play with an injury? It was almost embarrassing that every time we got on a roll one of their players went down and they got a free timeout to plan the stop. I remember TCU being bad at this but tonight was the worst. There needs to be some type of rule you get X injuries and after that you start losing timeouts. I think 1 was the only player hurt bad enough to be taken off the field. The rest were miracle players that returned shortly after being knocked out.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
How many times did they stop play with an injury? It was almost embarrassing that every time we got on a roll one of their players went down and they got a free timeout to plan the stop. I remember TCU being bad at this but tonight was the worst. There needs to be some type of rule you get X injuries and after that you start losing timeouts. I think 1 was the only player hurt bad enough to be taken off the field. The rest were miracle players that returned shortly after being knocked out.
People are more prone to getting hurt, not injured when they are tired. I don't doubt they needed their time necessary to recover from whatever happened in the moment. We played hard tonight. That was the worst ass beating I've seen in a long time, and that's any game, not just an ISU game.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
People are more prone to getting hurt, not injured when they are tired. I don't doubt they needed their time necessary to recover from whatever happened in the moment. We played hard tonight. That was the worst ass beating I've seen in a long time, and that's any game, not just an ISU game.
After the first two, I started watching them when they got to the sidelines. With the exception of the guy that was carried off the field, they were miraculously healed when they hit the sidelines. I didn't like the fact that our fans started booing the "fallen" players - there's always the chance that the player IS injured...but WVU was really milking it tonight.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
After the first two, I started watching them when they got to the sidelines. With the exception of the guy that was carried off the field, they were miraculously healed when they hit the sidelines. I didn't like the fact that our fans started booing the "fallen" players - there's always the chance that the player IS injured...but WVU was really milking it tonight.
I wasn't there, so you may be right, but have you ever take a shin to shin contact at full speed? Or had a guys helmet hit you directly into the thigh pad and give you a bone bruise? You can't play right away, but you can shortly there after if you're tough. Maybe it was a little of both?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I wasn't there, so you may be right, but have you ever take a shin to shin contact at full speed? Or had a guys helmet hit you directly into the thigh pad and give you a bone bruise? You can't play right away, but you can shortly there after if you're tough. Maybe it was a little of both?
Could be. But it really did get old, really fast.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
Same stuff, just a different year for the fighting Holgerson's. My son and I discussed that an injured player should not be allowed back in the game until the next first down is made. At least there would then be some "penalty" for faked injuries.

Other ideas are welcomed.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Same stuff, just a different year for the fighting Holgerson's. My son and I discussed that an injured player should not be allowed back in the game until the next first down is made. At least there would then be some "penalty" for faked injuries.

Other ideas are welcomed.

I'd be in favor of has to stay out until one of the following if the game had to be stopped for an injured player:

-end of quarter
-timeout taken
-change of possession

Feigning injury should not be a tactic to stall momentum.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I'd be in favor of has to stay out until one of the following if the game had to be stopped for an injured player:

-end of quarter
-timeout taken
-change of possession

Feigning injury should not be a tactic to stall momentum.
I was talking about this the other day with someone. I suggested that if a player's "injury" stops play, they must have to sit out at least 3 consecutive plays after their removal. I was at the game 2 years ago when they pulled this same "fake injury" crap. It definitely worked to their advantage that night - not so much tonight.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
It was pretty hot out there. I’m sure they were cramping up. The worse one was the guy 2 yds from the sideline, he couldn’t possibly have limped over to their bench. Come on.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I was at Iowa-Wisky last year when Iowa had like 20 yards until the 4th quarter.

Games like that and last night are like lobsided high school games yardage wise, although last night didn't feel totally over until the safety just because you don't know when Grier's going to get a big play.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
I think it was in the 2nd half, not sure the play or player, but I remember a WVU player taking a nasty fall and bending his ankle or leg awkwardly. He needed assistance back to the sideline.

Hope he was okay. It look pretty bad on the tele, even though they didn't really show a lot of it.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I normally wouldn't read too much into this, but WV is pretty well known for doing this.

Two years ago when they were here they were doing it too. I actually thought it was worse then than it was last night.

Notice that it happened a lot when we made a big play and then tried to go tempo, and all of the sudden there's a WV player on the ground. It seems as though they're instructed after an opponents' big play to try to stop any momentum gained by that big play.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGuy5

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA

Same exact thing with West Virginia 2 years ago. It's always a defensive player hurt when we have momentum from a big play.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
They had players dropping all over the place, only to immediately report to the sideline and wait.
Watching from home there were 3 WVU injuries that looked legit:

there was that WVU player who actually sustained multiple hits during one of Purdys scrambles who somehow went through the entire concussion protocol in 1 play and reported back to the field

There was a db who looked like he tweaked something on a deep pass, but he didn’t drop on the field until a play later

There was the one WVU player who looked like his knee exploded in the 4th quarter - that was nasty

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I normally wouldn't read too much into this, but WV is pretty well known for doing this.

Two years ago when they were here they were doing it too. I actually thought it was worse then than it was last night.

Notice that it happened a lot when we made a big play and then tried to go tempo, and all of the sudden there's a WV player on the ground. It seems as though they're instructed after an opponents' big play to try to stop any momentum gained by that big play.

Hey, if they want to spend their time prepping for the appropriate way to stall for time instead of going to the "Brock Purdy School of Blitz Avoidance", fine with me.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Hey, if they want to spend their time prepping for the appropriate way to stall for time instead of going to the "Brock Purdy School of Blitz Avoidance", fine with me.
I'm especially excited for the Butler Exhibit of Buck Nasty Burnz; 'How to make people.look like boys amongst men.'

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I mentioned this in the game thread. There was one play in the first half where #2 on their defense completely whiffed on an attempt to tackle Kolar, who gained a solid amount of yards, but was “hurt”. He then re entered no more than a play later

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I guess I was not paying that close of attention to who got hurt and came right back in. It did seem like there were a lot of guys that got injuries. A couple of them looked like they tweaked an ankle trying to tackle DM.