SI.com MMQB Mentions Campbell

Aug 26, 2014
I love the guy too, but I'm just hoping for some meaningful November football for a couple of years before we lose out on the sweepstakes for his services. Anything beyond that, I'm just setting myself up for heartbreak.
You just have to believe this time. He is going to be here for the bulk of his career and we will have some ups and downs, but more ups than we have ever seen in my lifetime, that's for sure.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm with you. I was completely surprised by his name in the article. Of course we've all heard the rumors about big college programs, but this is the first I've heard his name and NFL interest. I'm sure the McVay success in LA has NFL GMs looking for other young, energetic coaches to build around.

McVay is a little different, though. He had two or three years of experience as an NFL coordinator plus several years as a position coach when he got the Rams job. I think Campbell is great, but looking at it from the outside a guy with a .500-ish record at a P5 program and no NFL experience would be a tough sell to season ticket holders.

Aug 26, 2014
You just copied an old post and replaced CFH with CMC, didn't you?
No, different situation. There was too much cheating in college basketball recruiting and Fred just couldn't take it anymore so he left.

Aug 26, 2014
CMC does not have the winning record for the transition to the NFL yet. I say this not to be a Debbie Downer but he's had 1 winning season at a P-5 school and a few winning season at a MAC, thats just the facts of it right now. A few more successful years here, then maybe.
He could get almost any job he wanted in football right now. Everyone is fully aware of his talent. The good news for us is, he's right where he wants to be.

Reactions: khardbored

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
Think again. Bringing a Lombardi trophy to Cleveland is his dream job.

Also googled Massillon High School.... its pretty interesting

Football came to Massillon in 1894 with the first high school game between Massillon High School and Canton Central High School. In the early years, the players consisted of working boys because most boys did not attend high school. By 1904 more boys began attending school past 8th grade. 1909 was Massillon's first undefeated football team. From 1910-1920 high school football in Massillon grew and improved, and by 1916 they were named the Scholastic Champions of Ohio.[2] The school mascot, the Tiger, was adopted from the city's former professional football team known as the Massillon Tigers.

Paul Brown, a 1925 graduate of Washington High School, returned to Massillon in 1932 to begin his renowned coaching career. In his nine years at Massillon, Brown posted an 80–8–2 record which included a 35-game winning streak and six state championships.

Famous resident football player, coach and founder-owner of the Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals Brown is memorialized in statue form in front of Massillon, Ohio's "Paul Brown Tiger Stadium".
The Massillon Tigers are historically one of the winningest high school football teams in the United States, second only to Valdosta High School in Valdosta, Georgia. The Tigers have compiled a current record of 853 wins, 283 losses, and 36 ties as of the end of the 2015 season. Along with the Canton McKinley High School Bulldogs, the Tigers represent one half of what many consider to be the greatest high school football rivalry in the nation. It is the only high school contest in America to feature odds in Las Vegas. In 126 meetings (1894–2015), Massillon leads the series 68-53-5. Massillon and their fierce rivalry with Canton are subjects of the 2001 documentary film Go Tigers!. A total of 23 professional players, 3 NFL coaches and 14 collegiate all-Americans have graduated from Massillon High School.[citation needed]

The Tigers play their home games at Paul Brown Tiger Stadium. The stadium currently holds 16,600 people and is named after former Tiger player and head coach Paul Brown. Besides being the regular season home of the Massillon Tiger Football team, the stadium hosts Ohio High School Athletic Association state football playoff games, divisional championship games, as well as numerous other activities such as band shows and other sports including soccer.

Every fall, the booster club provides a live tiger cub named "Obie" who is on the sidelines for each home football game. So strong is the tradition and history, the booster club provides each baby boy born in Massillon a miniature football.[citation needed]

In summer 2008, due to the success of the Tigers' athletic programs, ESPN nominated the city of Massillon as a candidate for Titletown USA.[3] The final results ended with Massillon finishing in the top 4.

L

LincolnWay187

Why can teams like okie state keep gundy while winning and wr couldn't keep campbell? I think we will have him at least 3 more seasons

Aug 26, 2014
LOL

I love CMC but you're in lalaland if you think your statement above is true.
In college, any job that could potentially come open at the end of the year, CMC would be at the top of the list for. That's just a fact.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Three words: T Boone Pickens
This.
Gundy (and his agent) have over the years floated his name for other jobs to get Boone to pay up. It's worked because oSu (TBP) knows they'll likely never do better and keep a Gundy level coach. Remember, both Jimmy Johnson and The Hat were there and split. And as stated Gundy is an oSu guy.

Matt Campbell is a different situation at ISU. Of course we'll try hard to pay him but we don't have a Boone Pickens...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron