Tips on Buying a Smoker for a novice?

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I got a Masterbuilt 30inch electric smoker on black friday last year for $100. It has been worth it to mess around with. I will upgrade next year I think, but that was cheap to start with.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I would say one of two things:

1) Get an electric smoker to start with. You can get a decent sized one in the $200-$400 range. I loved my electric smoker because it was completely mindless and turned out pretty good quality. Plug it in, give it chips, set a temperature and remember to come back in a few hours for more chips. It's an easy way to get started, and also get you hooked, on smoking meat.

2) There are small Traegers that aren't too much more then what you would spend on an electric smoker. I love my Traeger. Easy to operate and very versatile. For the money, it also can pretty much take the place of a gas/charcoal grill due to its different settings. You get amazing taste, it's easy to operate, and you can both grill and smoke.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would agree with the electric to learn. I bought one thinking I would be using it non-stop. Started out well and learned several things about what temps for what meats and what worked and didn't for the most part. Then I got busy the next year and don't have time to use it much. Its sat for a couple years. Not much invested, but still usable when time presents itself.

Sterling4Cy

Nov 13, 2006
I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker and has been a work horse. so easy and everything turns out awesome.
I also have an Orion Smoker, looks like an old milk can. Uses convection heat to smoke the meat. cooks in about 1/3 of the time. pretty neat idea really. everything turns our very moist. Only downside to it is it burns through a lot of charcoal. A lot. Plus it only cost me $150 at Bass Pro.

https://www.theorioncooker.com/

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I have a MES 30 & use the AMNPS for the pellets. When I get the pellets lit correctly, it's awesome, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a GMG fairly soon to make it even simpler.

Reactions: dmclone

ILikeTurtles

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2011
I looked around at different options. I went with a GMG Daniel Boone pellet grill this spring. I also just bought the Davy Crocket for camping and tailgating. They are a really versitle grill/smoker. Worth checking out different pellet grill brands. They are super easy to use, no messing around, set a temp and walk away. Haven't had a bad meal come off these grills.

How much can that little Davy Crocket hold? Say a few rack of ribs or a medium sized brisket? I'm a single dude and don't think I need a full sized smoker for just myself.

I got a Masterbuilt 30inch electric smoker on black friday last year for $100. It has been worth it to mess around with. I will upgrade next year I think, but that was cheap to start with.

I assume electric ones have a set and forget temperature control?

Last edited:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Before I bought my $200 Masterbuilt electric smoker I thought I would smoke things 10-12 times a year. I was thinking about spending $800 on a Rec Tec or $1,500 on a Yoder, both great brands. The Masterbuilt works great but I only use it 3-4 times a year and I'm happy I didn't waste the money on a more expensive option.

It's kind of like never having a sports car and deciding between a miata, camaro, 911, and a LaFerrari. Yes, the others will look and sound better but for my purposes, the MES 30 is all I need.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I assume electric ones have a set and forget temperature control?

Yes but I'd recommend buying a separate wireless dual probe meat thermometer such as the Maverick. The one built into the MES isn't very accurate.

Also keep in mind that with an electric smoker you're not going to get the smoke ring. It's purely cosmetic but just be aware.

ILikeTurtles

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2011
Also keep in mind that with an electric smoker you're not going to get the smoke ring. It's purely cosmetic but just be aware.

Hmm but you'll still get the smokey flavor? It's not just a glorified outdoor electric over?

One guy above mentioned buying a pellet smoking tube in an electric for more smoke

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
Yes but I'd recommend buying a separate wireless dual probe meat thermometer such as the Maverick. The one built into the MES isn't very accurate.

I completely agree with both of these points. Especially the 2nd. My father-in-law had an electric Masterbuilt smoker that he liked until he had bbq off of my Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC). The PBC is a charcoal smoker and isn't a true set it and forget it smoker, but it's as close as you can get for charcoal. The FIL ended up going with a $1,000 Traeger that he got for $800 at a farming store in Oski I believe because his son is a farmer and had a farming account. Love his Traeger and would definitely recommend it to any looking for a true set it and forget it electric pellet smoker.

Chad

Sep 10, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I also started with masterbuilt electric and it worked ok until the heating element went out. Then got a Weber Smokey Mountain, that had the best taste by far but was a pain to clean, was a pain to haul out of the garage to set up. Bought a GMG with WiFi, while it was more convenient the taste wasn’t as good as the WSM and temperatures varied really bad left to right on the grates. I tried a bunch of different mods and couldn’t get it less than 50 degrees variance so sold it.
Agree with others that overspending on your first smoker probably isn’t a great idea. If you take good care of your first smoker you can likely sell it on Craig’s list and then upgrade if you find it’s worth it.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Hmm but you'll still get the smokey flavor? It's not just a glorified outdoor electric over?

One guy above mentioned buying a pellet smoking tube in an electric for more smoke

Yes, you still get the smokey flavor. I also bought something similar to what he recommended. Mine is a A-maze-n Pellet Smoker [AMNPS] and it allows me to smoke 12+ hours without adding any additional pallets. It's very useful but a little tricky to get going.

https://sitesdoneright.com/blog/2014/07/how-to-use-amazen-pellet-smoker-amnps

Actually this link provides about everything you need to know about the masterbuilt. I wouldn't go out of my way to get one with a window since they are pretty hard to keep clean and see through. Mine is the MES 30 and it has a TON of room and the racks can be moved for even more room.

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I love my 22 Weber Smokey Mountain. I can get 15 hour plus burn times with the minion method and I even go to sleep at night on overnight cooks without adding any fuel or messing with the dampers. About as set and forget as you can get on a charcoal smoker.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
I was like you when I first started looking. Wasn't sure what to get, didn't have experience with smokers, and didn't want to completely miss the high heat searing capability from gas grill. I ended up going with the GMG Daniel Boone. It has been great so far. I'd say I've done more "grilling" than true smoking on it so far. But the thing cooks great. No flare ups. If I took off the burner plates I'm sure I could get more high heat, but also more mess and flare ups.

Sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas I'm sure there will be deals. I got mine $200 off last year.

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa
I love my 22 Weber Smokey Mountain. I can get 15 hour plus burn times with the minion method and I even go to sleep at night on overnight cooks without adding any fuel or messing with the dampers. About as set and forget as you can get on a charcoal smoker.

I have the 18"WSM. Love the extra taste Charcoal gives the meat. I added the Pitmaster IQ controller and its pretty much set it and forget it now.

https://pitmasteriq.com/

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
This.

https://masterbuilt.com/product/mb20072918-digital-electric-smoker

My team gave me this as a gift several years ago. Ribs, brisket, pork butt and turkey breasts all smoked perfectly. Several flavored wood chip options to play with and have been extremely pleased with flavor of smoked meat. Only complaint is width is a little tight for a full packer brisket.

This. We bought my dad one last year for "Christmas" but gave it to him early so we could smoke the Thanksgiving turkey. I've also had smoke chicken wings. I would LOVE to really get into smoking, but I have plenty of other hobbies. I've contemplated many times though picking up a digital smoker as it just seems beginner friendly and allow us to ease into it.

Edit: I think this was what we bought https://www.charbroil.com/deluxe-digital-electric-smoker You'll get some good sales coming up with Black Friday soon.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Traegers are cheating. They're also the one your yuppie father in law buys to overcook a pork loin or undercook a butt then ask you why they can't pull it.

Buy a 18.5" or 22" WSM and do it right. Charcoal is essential to smoking in my opinion. If you're only planning on doing 1-2 butts, 1-2 loins, or a single brisket at a time just get a Weber 22" kettle grill and smoke in that. I do it all the time when I'm lazy and don't want to drag the WSM out.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron