TCU postgame thread

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I'm curious why we don't have or won't run a screen pass to DM behind 3 offensive linemen. Lots of WR screens with WR blocking (Butler is good at it at least), but nothing to our best space playmaker. That seems like a great constraint play to keep the DL/LB playing honest, helping our run game. Croney or Lang would be fine too, wouldn't have to be DM.

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Ok, you're right. We had about a 1% chance of winning or tying the game in that last drive, but we didn't even attempt for that 1% due to poor play calling and offensive scheme.

And what really cost us the game was...... well.... the same thing.... poor play calling and offensive scheme.

So the exact same thing that cost us our 1% chance of winning on our last drive is what also really cost us the rest of the game too. So what are you saying again?
Executing in that situation is a completely different game.

DM misses holes and cutbacks, but when looking at where our offense is failing it isn’t worth discussing.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
The other thing I didn't like was conceding the last 50s of the first half. We knew we were getting the ball back to start the first half; it was a chance to steal a meaningful possession. Yes, there is a chance of a turnover but the probability of a turnover that negatively changes the score is very small.

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
The other thing I didn't like was conceding the last 50s of the first half. We knew we were getting the ball back to start the first half; it was a chance to steal a meaningful possession. Yes, there is a chance of a turnover but the probability of a turnover that negatively changes the score is very small.
Respectfully disagree. Campbell knew this what going to be a dog fight. I was uncomfortable with the play calling last week, but several on here changed my mind. Be smart, fundamental, etc. You don't go crazy with 35 seconds left like we are playing Madden. The strategy worked. ISU had a chance late in the game.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Executing in that situation is a completely different game.

DM misses holes and cutbacks, but when looking at where our offense is failing it isn’t worth discussing.

You're not saying it was DM's fault, are you? Please don't tell me that's what you're saying.

• Dislike
Reactions: FourTops

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So after the game CMC is thrilled about the progress he is seeing.

I know he has to say crap like that, it's what coaches do, but if it takes half the season to see enough progress to finally start winning, that can be too late. And if you actually want to ever win the Big 12 like you say is the goal, The Process needs to start clicking on week 1, not week 6.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I wont say I'm not concerned but ISU is not sneaking up on anyone this year. Plus both teams were desperate tonight and it was a road game. Against that defense with short time in the 1st half and getting the ball to start the 2nd half. It made sense to kneel and go into half

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
Gawd that offense sucks. Disjointed and stale. Not sure anyone knew what they were doing at times. Zeb was D3 level - his passes were anemic and wobbly. Not B12 caliber. D let too many 3rd down and long get away! Playcallibg was pathetic. 1-5 is looming and zero bowl is possible. Rise As One may become Cries As One! Get your heads out and score some f...ing points!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
So after the game CMC is thrilled about the progress he is seeing.

I know he has to say crap like that, it's what coaches do, but if it takes half the season to see enough progress to finally start winning, that can be too late. And if you actually want to ever win the Big 12 like you say is the goal, The Process needs to start clicking on week 1, not week 6.

When did it click last year?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Respectfully disagree. Campbell knew this what going to be a dog fight. I was uncomfortable with the play calling last week, but several on here changed my mind. Be smart, fundamental, etc. You don't go crazy with 35 seconds left like we are playing Madden. The strategy worked. ISU had a chance late in the game.
Making it a dog fight is nice, but being productive is better. Is our game plan and personnel utilization maximizing production?

We were in the game due to defense. There’s very little that a poor of offense contributes to that success on defense, unless one thinks things like getting more first downs, time of possession, and points adversely impacts our defense.

Sure, we could have more turnovers, but most INTs are not worse than a punt.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Offense sucked. Turnover for td killed the team. At minimum not flipping the field on the turnovers, hurt a bunch.

AllN4Cy

Sep 9, 2010
Grimes
We are absolutely lucky to be within 3 points. One touchdownon on extremely short field due to a turnover. Or offense is completely inept. Noland's run was the most shocking moment of the game. Our offense doesn't work when the qb refuses to ever keep the ball and run it. There HAS to be at least the threat the qb might run. One pass attempt over 20 yards. We look like Eastern Iowa with Nate Chandler and Ken O'Keefe. I gained respect for JGJ. Didn't want to leave even while pulling up a lung. Get an OC already.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I have to admit, I thought all the angst about hiring an OC was overblown. Not anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: awd4cy