Roster?

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Great! And now maybe this board can quit being so darn touchy. Confusingly worded or not, the OP's desire for an updated roster was reasonable.

• Funny
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Todd Small listed at 125. Think that's a good thing for us. Good depth at a problem weight and he can still bump to 133 if Gomez needed a break.

Reactions: crablegs

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Todd Small listed at 125. Think that's a good thing for us. Good depth at a problem weight and he can still bump to 133 if Gomez needed a break.

Agreed. Not many 33s. I'm assuming the plan is that one of many 25s can bump up if needed.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Any idea who would be considered the favorite to land the 125# spot between Mackall and Small?

Safe bet is Mackall, but Small has a lot of talent. I have no insider knowledge whatsoever, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw both of them this year, granted that Small can hold 125 all season.

Mackall is a good addition for us at a weight of need, but he hasn't really shown anything that says "shoe-in starter" to me. I think it'll be a tight battle between them.

...but I've been wrong plenty of times before.

Just hoping we find somebody that displays some consistency.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
New roster up. Such a young team... 45 total guys listed only 4 seniors and 7 juniors. 76% of roster underclassmen including 26 true or RS freshman

https://cyclones.com/roster.aspx?path=wrestling
Kind of typical for big D1 programs. A lot of guys will end up at Grandview, Wartburg, Coe, Upper Iowa, Simpson, etc. in the next year or 2. Some great depth finally though. Some young guys with talent who can contribute if they put in the work and stick it out.
Some notables..
Small at 125
Judge and Leisure at 149
Jennings at 157
Mulder and Stotts at 165
Sherry at 174
Colbray and Tessau at 184
Dan Eslick?

Reactions: VirginSturgeon

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Safe bet is Mackall, but Small has a lot of talent. I have no insider knowledge whatsoever, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw both of them this year, granted that Small can hold 125 all season.

Mackall is a good addition for us at a weight of need, but he hasn't really shown anything that says "shoe-in starter" to me. I think it'll be a tight battle between them.

...but I've been wrong plenty of times before.

Just hoping we find somebody that displays some consistency.
Mackall has been hurt. He will impress big time this year if he can stay healthy. He was a darn good recruit coming out of high school. He has the talent.

Reactions: Boxer007

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Mackall has been hurt. He will impress big time this year if he can stay healthy. He was a darn good recruit coming out of high school. He has the talent.

Just curious: can you sketch out his pedigree? If its been done before, feel free to chastise me.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Just curious: can you sketch out his pedigree? If its been done before, feel free to chastise me.
For some reason my post didn't go through. As stated already, he was a top 100 recruit. Very solid on his feet and solid defense. Beat some good kids in high school. Struggled the last couple of years wrestling up at 133 and being hurt. My prediction is that he will be right there with Moody/Schwarm for 2nd best in the coference. I think he beats them both and is top 12 this year.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron