OL going forward

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Guess I will be that guy: It was pretty clear the OL was not good last week, and I'm not sure we can give Iowa the credit for all of that. I saw CMC stated that the interior of the OL actually played pretty well, and it was mostly the tackles that struggled.

First, I am calling BS on the interior playing well, no one was getting any push at all as far as I could see.

Secondly, if the tackles are the root of the issues, what are the options, other than hoping the starters improve or the defenses in the Big 12 are not as good?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Guess I will be that guy: It was pretty clear the OL was not good last week, and I'm not sure we can give Iowa the credit for all of that. I saw CMC stated that the interior of the OL actually played pretty well, and it was mostly the tackles that struggled.

First, I am calling BS on the interior playing well, no one was getting any push at all as far as I could see.

Secondly, if the tackles are the root of the issues, what are the options, other than hoping the starters improve or the defenses in the Big 12 are not as good?

Mueller and Knipfel graded out pretty well apparently. I'm hoping we see Newell at C and JGJ at LT

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop

That's been my feeling as well. All this "TOE has the best d-line we will see this year" is hard for me to believe at the moment. I feel it has more to do with ISU's OL being bad and less TOE's d-line being good. imo

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Mueller and Knipfel graded out pretty well apparently. I'm hoping we see Newell at C and JGJ at LT

I think it was JW on Fanatics yesterday who said that if the SDSU game had been played in its entirety then ISU would have rolled with Newell at C and JGJ at LT last week. I assume that's the plan for this week. I don't know if that fixes everything, but if that's how they were linign up for all the fall camp and practice reps then it shouldn't hurt any.

If the staff hasn't settled on their best five yet then they'll have to keep mixing and matching. The problem is that at some point there has to be some continuity.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
That's been my feeling as well. All this "TOE has the best d-line we will see this year" is hard for me to believe at the moment. I feel it has more to do with ISU's OL being bad and less TOE's d-line being good. imo

I think they are plenty good, just not sure they are the best in the country. Time will tell, but ISU sure made them look great.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I am with you on that part. Really question why you would make that switch for the Iowa game after practicing with Newell at center all Fall.

They went with experience in a hostile environment, and I kind of understand that. I think they were worried about a local kid getting overexcited for his first start in a CyHawk game and airmailing a shotgun snap or something.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Architect

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
"OL Going Forward" - I am totally in favor of that. We tried "OL Going Backward" against Iowa.

I don't have the insight that some of you have on these young men. But we will never be a Top 25-type program with that kind of line play. Ferentz gets a lot of credit from commentators for developing good linemen; I hope that this is realistic for ISU because blue-chippers don't usually fall in our laps.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Need to figure who can be strongest where and what the unit's strengths are and play to those.

The strengths aren't shoving it down the d's throat.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think they are plenty good, just not sure they are the best in the country. Time will tell, but ISU sure made them look great.
You’re not sure they are the best in the country?
They’re absolutely not.

Sorry, but having success against our OL isn’t exactly a litmus test of a good DL. And that doesn’t even factor into account the inherent disadvantage of it being Game 1 vs Game 2.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if Ramos is starting by the end of the season.
I know this kid was well regarded coming in but if that's the case then what's that say about the "veteran" OL men when a true freshman LT has to play.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We desperately need someone in the box helping Campbell call plays.

I don't blame the OL for atrocious rush game last Saturday. Not for all of it anyway. I blame Campbell for stubbornly running into a stacked box over and over and over again. Then we'd spread everyone out on 3rd and 8 and throw vs a 5 man box. I was baffled.

We weren't even missing assignments in the run game a lot of the time. We were trying to block 7 or 8 guys with 6

swessball

Mar 23, 2016
You’re not sure they are the best in the country?
They’re absolutely not.

Sorry, but having success against our OL isn’t exactly a litmus test of a good DL. And that doesn’t even factor into account the inherent disadvantage of it being Game 1 vs Game 2.
Its not just the success against our O-line that has people impressed with them. Its the way they owned Northern Illinois (a legit contender in the MAC) and finished strong at the end of last year. They have three guys on that line that have legit shots to make NFL rosters in the near future.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
While i dont think North IL will win the MAC as their QB was god awful...but their OL has several guys who will get drafted on that OL probably..and Iowa’s DL once it settled down pretty much dominated that OL...

So I think IOwa’s DL is def legit..as is ours..

Downing and Ramos are the young cats right now and we have 2 more in the 2019 class coming who should be solid as well. But those cats aren’t gonna play much until prob 2020 and beyond..

I Could see the staff looking for a darn good grad transfer for 2019 as they should IMO. I think Knipfle is a solid lineman...JGJ i’m Not sure what his deal was Saturday..baffling. Mueller i believe will become a solid guard he’s still a RS Soph. I think we have 3 pieces that are capable of doing well in the big 12...we really need to develop and find 2-3 others for 2019..Not to look ahead as i believe this team will have a successful year this year but 2019 this roster is going to be stacked and it will be a team full of experienced talent and a defense that is going to be real real nasty..

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Its not just the success against our O-line that has people impressed with them. Its the way they owned Northern Illinois (a legit contender in the MAC) and finished strong at the end of last year. They have three guys on that line that have legit shots to make NFL rosters in the near future.
Your merits are describing an okay defense, not the best DL.

Utah’s DL gave Northern Ill, who won’t likely even win their divison, just as much trouble. Memphis gave our Ol just as much trouble. Put down the Press Citizen.

swessball

Mar 23, 2016
Your merits are describing an okay defense, not the best DL.

Utah’s DL gave Northern Ill, who won’t likely even win their divison, just as much trouble. Memphis gave our Ol just as much trouble. Put down the Press Citizen.
Best D-line? I didn't say that. But if you don't think that line is legit, I don't know what to tell you. Again, three NFL caliber players. We probably won't see a better one all season.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
We desperately need someone in the box helping Campbell call plays.

I don't blame the OL for atrocious rush game last Saturday. Not for all of it anyway. I blame Campbell for stubbornly running into a stacked box over and over and over again. Then we'd spread everyone out on 3rd and 8 and throw vs a 5 man box. I was baffled.

We weren't even missing assignments in the run game a lot of the time. We were trying to block 7 or 8 guys with 6

We have at least two guys in the box helping call plays

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron