We never learn

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is a train wreck of a start to the 2018 season. The cancelled 1st game and a complete disaster at Iowa.

It looks dark. No o-line. A QB that's a better story than a football player. Rivalry loss...

But

The season can still be saved

This is true though. We are likely to have zero wins after 3 games.... and who would have predicted that? And yes, the cancelled game is now considered a loss basically because it isn't a win, and wins are all that matters when you need 6 of them.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
Whats scary is that we will see a lot better d lines this season. To me it seems like we didnt have a offensive game plan.

Not sure I agree w/this. TCU may a better DL than Iowa, OklaSt, OU and maybe Texas DL are serviceable to good, but probably not better than Iowa. Big 12 is just not a big DL league anymore

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Besides OU and that is not a given who has a better dline?

Texas usually does if they're not all trying to keep themselves healthy for the draft.

If the play calling is something out of middle school it won't matter.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Best part of this is that I still like Campbell as a head coach. A wreck of a season this year, if he has any worth, the next couple years should be good. Plus, let’s not forget, Iowa pulled out all the stops tonight. Every other team that saw this game, should be able to beat them.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
In no way shape or form am I happy with the offense today. But we’ve laid big fat eggs with an OC as well (Texas last year, the entire year before that). My point is that this talking point is a cheap cop out and just a predictable line of attack from trolls that really has no way of being proven out except that we lost this time. If we win next week and play well on offense are these people coming back to start threads about how it was a good call not hiring an OC?
I don't totally disagree with you. Personally, I think that last week's cancellation really hurt us today. I fully expect us to improve over the next 6 days, but we have to play Oklahoma next week.

I believe that we will win at Akron. And I think we can win some of the close games we lost last year. Big 12 Officials notwithstanding. But our best outcome against OU and TCU will be experience and a lack of serious injuries.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If you want to get technical Tom Manning essentially was promoted to OC within and had no prior OC experience. He was supposed to only be the O-Line coach and Jason Candle was supposed to be the OC until Toledo offered him Campbell's old job and in hindsight that allowed Heacock to take our DC job because he was named interim HC at Toledo when Campbell left. Maybe "that guy" just wasn't available for Campbell to bring in to replace Manning right now. Maybe Campbell eventually turns the play calling over to someone else this season if we struggle out of the gates. If you look at his coaching staff most of the guys have been with him for awhile or have past ties with him. As position coaches and recruiters they have done a great job in a short time so far at ISU. We may just have to wait until the off season for the right guy for the job to come available too. Manning took the Colts job in late February which isn't the best timing as most of the coaching changes in college football happen in December and January.

It's 1 game folks, we made a lot of 1st game mistakes especially with O-Line penalties and missed blocking reads that killed some drives. Too much talent at the skill positions to think this team is going to struggle to score points, especially against some poor Big 12 defenses. If the O-Line can make adjustments and improve that will allow the offense to open things up more. I think our defense answered a lot of questions tonight while the offense is still a work in progress. It sucks that our real 1st game to knock off the rust and work out the kinks had to be the CyHawk game but I bet you the coaching staff and team won't dwell on it for long and are already focusing on Oklahoma now. At least we now have some game tape to go over and work on things that we didn't have coming into the CyHawk game.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
First game, on the road, against a very good defensive line. I have no doubt that those complaining now were giving us no chance of success after our start last season too.

What sucks from the Cy-Hawk perspective (or those of us that live in B1G country) is that if the offense gets better (it'd better) the 'no defense' stigma will come out since Iowa basically had to stand there and let ISU beat themselves into submission.

Iowa's D is good but to not let ISU's weapons have a legit chance is mind boggling.

OtisMyMan

May 3, 2013
Best part of this is that I still like Campbell as a head coach. A wreck of a season this year, if he has any worth, the next couple years should be good. Plus, let’s not forget, Iowa pulled out all the stops tonight. Every other team that saw this game, should be able to beat them.

You thought Iowa pulled out all the stops? I thought they were as predictable as ever. Just goes to show no matter who they name OC over there, Ferentz, a very boring offensive mind, is really pulling the strings

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
You thought Iowa pulled out all the stops? I thought they were as predictable as ever....

Agree. Fortunately for the TOE, we were even more predictable the last three quarters. Up the gut for 1 yard, over and over.
Vanilla play calling, piss poor punting, and a bad day for most of the offense won't beat good, but not great teams like we faced today. At least the D played as we thought they would.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015

It’s their Super Bowl, LOLZ

Help Support Us

Become a patron