Gamer nerds: what video game affected you the most emotionally?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
For Plot - the Mass Effect series. Great characters and story and you get to make so many fun decisions.

Excitement - NCAA 2014. I still bust it out and play my dynasty and play with friends. Always gets me fired up and close games are so intense.

But that Skyrim music...always takes me to a great peaceful place when I hear it.

Reactions: Angie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Really haven't played since the NES days with just a bit of a dive into SNES and N64, but nothing angered me more than getting into a groove on whatever game I was playing, only to have it freeze up DESPITE the fact that I wiped down the cartridge, blew into it, etc. before starting.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
All of you easily affected by emotion in video games, do NOT play That Dragon, Cancer... unless you have tissues at the ready. I'm not going to even blame my tears on onions, that game was a gut punch.
Yeah, this game wrecked me, especially as a new father. It reminds me a lot of the emotion in Dear Zachery. For those that don’t know, you play as the father of a young boy diagnosed with cancer. It is their real story. Have tissues, and hug your kids.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Red Dead was perfect.

GTA5 was unique with the 3 roles and choosing which to take out in the end. (Can’t wait for the new Red Dead and the posse feature which I am sure will build on this)

But for me... Ocarina of Time takes the cake. That was the first time that I truly felt connected to the action on screen. Add in a great story, wonderful puzzles, and a fully explorable and interactive world, and that was my first glimpse into what gaming could and should become.

Last edited:
Reactions: khardbored

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
As a kid, I think Final Fantasy 4 (2 US) was the first game I remember having some great emotional moments. Palom and Porom sacrificing themselves by turning to stone to stop the walls from crushing everyone. Tellah failing to avenge his daughter. For an early 16bit game, it really set the tone for future Final Fantasy's.

Wow. Me too. First game I ever had those emotional moments with and I think it was the genesis of my love of a good RPG.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Dragon age origins. I put so many hours into that game plus all the dlcs so when it was finally over and my Warden got a half ass semblance of a happy ending with Morrigan I was fairly sad that the story was over.

• Agree
Reactions: cycart and CloneIce

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

Yeah, this game wrecked me, especially as a new father. It reminds me a lot of the emotion in Dear Zachery. For those that don’t know, you play as the father of a young boy diagnosed with cancer. It is their real story. Have tissues, and hug your kids.

Try Firewatch, it's right along those lines.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've been meaning to try this, but I'm always put off by the cutesy anime style, plus I don't want Steam to start recommending the deluge of other visual novel games they have on the service if I do dare to try this game one day.
That was the only visual novel game I have played. They haven't recommended any more to me at all. Though I didn't thumbs up or rate the game. So you might be good?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I haven't owned a system since the ps2 besides xbox 360 just for GTA so I can't speak to newer games like Last of Us.

For me like others have mentioned it I would say FF7 when the girl dies. I had all custom names so not sure what her name was.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
I haven't owned a system since the ps2 besides xbox 360 just for GTA so I can't speak to newer games like Last of Us.

For me like others have mentioned it I would say FF7 when the girl dies. I had all custom names so not sure what her name was.
Aerith I believe. IX and X were my jam but I played VII some.