Article written by Kyle Kempt

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Loved the line about him relating to Baker Mayfield as a walk-on who hung in there and just took advantage of the opportunities given to him.

I'm always surprised how disliked Mayfield is/was. I cheer for him over Coach Ryan Gossling in that story without blinking. He was clearly going to get screwed for no good reason and took charge of the situation, everyone but him probably thought it was a long shot but he knew he could do it.

A lot worse things have been done around the sport of football at every program, probably every week, than a crotch grab. Look at Maryland, that's not isolated. Not saying Mayfield was my favorite player or that I'd act like him, but I can find greater villains in college/pro football both among players and coaches.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman and cycart

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I'm always surprised how disliked Mayfield is/was. I cheer for him over Coach Ryan Gossling in that story without blinking. He was clearly going to get screwed for no good reason and took charge of the situation, everyone but him probably thought it was a long shot but he knew he could do it.

A lot worse things have been done around the sport of football at every program, probably every week, than a crotch grab. Look at Maryland, that's not isolated. Not saying Mayfield was my favorite player or that I'd act like him, but I can find greater villains in college/pro football both among players and coaches.

He’s definitely cocky, but I can easily argue he earned the cockiness. The crotch grab wasn’t a good look, but it’s sports. Stuff happens in the heat of competition when the adrenaline is going.

I thought he was pretty gracious in defeat after our upset win.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Really good article. Thanks for sharing. Sad to say it but I’m sure there will be some hate for his beliefs incoming.

Good article and as an atheist, I couldn't care less about someone's faith. What I think is powerful is when these people are consistent and true to themselves and their faith. We all get our strength from different sources - to each his own.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

What comes through loud and clear about Mayfield is how sincere he is. Looking at him and it seems like he's just a little kid running around with a bunch of other little kids playing in the dirt and loving it.

Reactions: khardbored

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
With a better looking wife/gf hopefully? JOKING but man her hair...
images

O.......K......??......... pretty crazy hair there.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I hope that Kyle Kempt's parents get a lot of love when they come to town. They bankrolled his walk-on status . . . with out-of-state tuition!

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Great story. Thanks for sharing, Kyle.

I had never put together the timeline that Nebraska stupidly hired away O'Reilly, who had originally recruited Kyle.

Just stumbled across it, but if anyone is interested, Iowa QB Nate Stanley also has a story published on the same site.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
His belief in hiemself is what mattered.

I don't want to turn this into a theological discussion (although given the theme of the article, kind of hard not to at least at some level) but I disagree with your statement here.

I firmly believe that it isn't an accident that so many high profile athletes (and especially QBs) have a strong Christian faith. (see most recent Super Bowl MVP for recent high profile example)

If you are a Christian and thus your faith teaches you that you are not completely in control and that if you put your faith in Jesus (and you truly believe this), it takes a huge burden off your mind. You essentially relinquish a portion of that immense pressure that you would otherwise take on all yourself, and you let it go (or maybe better yet, you hand it over).

I don't think you have to be a Believer to understand how this could help an athlete perform better.

To maybe turn this back to put a spin on it that agrees with your comment, it is a lot easier to believe in yourself when you don't feel like it is solely you, without assistance, that is making great things happen.

<edit> No need to stop at the Super Bowl QB...how about the NCAA QB champ too:

Last edited: