Friday OT #3 - I'm A Big Kid Now

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Along the same lines as the yogurt people- I have started to enjoy oatmeal for breakfast and also in winter I like some chocolate malt-o-meal. There are other things I do now that leads my wife to tell me that I have turned into my father....

Reactions: SC Cy

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Due to male pattern baldness my hair looks like **** every day. Therefore, if I'm not at work, I wear a cap almost every time when I leave the house. When going out to dinner, I've started asking my wife, "Can I wear a hat to this place or do you want to see my ugly hair?"

Shaving my head (by myself of course, why pay someone??) is one of the best things I have ever done.

This is both a contribution to the thread, and a friendly suggestion.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Shaving my head (by myself of course, why pay someone??) is one of the best things I have ever done.

This is both a contribution to the thread, and a friendly suggestion.
I've been contemplating it. My wife is against it but I think the time is coming soon. Also, I'm afraid to find out what's actually on my scalp. There could be a sign of the devil in there somewhere.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've always been a grumpy old man. I'm just starting to age into my personality now.

But I find myself siding against the main character in most kids' movies, as I rewatch them as a father.

No, Ariel, you shouldn't run off and sell yourself to the sea-witch for a crush.
Anna, that dude you just met might not be your soulmate.
Moana, you shouldn't go unaccompanied into the ocean with no prior sailing experience or supplies.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
I've always been a grumpy old man. I'm just starting to age into my personality now.

But I find myself siding against the main character in most kids' movies, as I rewatch them as a father.

No, Ariel, you shouldn't run off and sell yourself to the sea-witch for a crush.
Anna, that dude you just met might not be your soulmate.
Moana, you shouldn't go unaccompanied into the ocean with no prior sailing experience or supplies.

Speaking of Ariel, she's 16 in the movie. And gets married at the end. How freaking messed up is that?

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Angie, for context, I think we're about the same age. I got carded yesterday. In an AIRPORT BAR. I don't know, maybe they've had a string of minors that buy tickets, dress up, and go through TSA in attempt to get overpriced gin and tonics, but there seemed to be a number of context clues, not including my graying hair, that she completely ignored.

And I just grinned like an idiot as I handed her my ID. "Oh, sorry, you just look really young." Disagree, but, believe me, there is NO need to apologize!

That is the most ingenious scam ever, and TOTALLY worth the sunk costs to drink a gin and tonic at the airport bar. :D

I don't often purchase alcohol, but I always laugh when I get carded at the grocery store when I have my 8-year-old daughter with me. I mean, I guess it's POSSIBLE I had her when I was 13, but nobody is mistaking me for 21.

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
Getting new tires on my car makes me happy for quite a long period of time.

I went to a party and came home with three beers in my cooler.

Damn I'm getting old.

• Funny

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
That is the most ingenious scam ever, and TOTALLY worth the sunk costs to drink a gin and tonic at the airport bar. :D

I don't often purchase alcohol, but I always laugh when I get carded at the grocery store when I have my 8-year-old daughter with me. I mean, I guess it's POSSIBLE I had her when I was 13, but nobody is mistaking me for 21.

I still get carded at the grocery store occasionally, but back in the era of baggy flannel when I worked at Hy-Vee I carded everyone just to be safe, so that kind of makes sense.

It was a fine G&T, but definitely not a $700 G&T.

• Funny

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I still get carded at the grocery store occasionally, but back in the era of baggy flannel when I worked at Hy-Vee I carded everyone just to be safe, so that kind of makes sense.

It was a fine G&T, but definitely not a $700 G&T.

One of my first jobs was at a Casey's in a small town. We carded everyone, too. I carded more at the gas station than I did when bartending.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
This is my most recent one. I've was always the type to stay up until 2am and sleep in until 11am until I started in the working work with a 7am start time. I prefer to work out right after work but in the summer its just too nice outside to waste that time so I've started going to a class at 5am. I love it but it makes me question who I am anymore.

a couple summers ago, I was really into running and I'd go before work. I'd willingly wake up at a stupid early (to me - more of a night owl) time to go running. It only lasted about three weeks - when it was super hot and going at 6pm was suicide - but I really wondered who had bodysnatched me because old CG would never, ever do such a thing.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I think having my first person who directly reported to me at work made me realize I was an actual adult.

and when they come to you for advice on how to do something/fix something and you think shouldn't you go talk to someone in charge.........and then realize that's why they came to you.

Trigger

Dec 30, 2011
As a boy, eating breakfast with Dad before going out to do chores around dawn, Dad would often say after his 1st drink of coffee " This is the best I will feel all day".

I will turn 50 later this year and find myself thinking that exact same thing way too often.

Reactions: SC Cy