Iowa State Alumni tweet today

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I don't think her sexuality has any bearing on her being selected CEO of Land of Lakes. So I believe the answer to your question is no.

I think its newsworthy. She is the first openly gay female CEO - and we love "firsts" in this country.

Not mentioning it in the lede but doing so in the article seems perfectly fine for me. Some people REALLY like to get worked up (like the OP).

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City
I think its newsworthy. She is the first openly gay female CEO - and we love "firsts" in this country.

Not mentioning it in the lede but doing so in the article seems perfectly fine for me. Some people REALLY like to get worked up (like the OP).

Except for the OP getting worked up part, I agree with you entirely.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
You didn’t mention the context in your original post. You wanted to cause trouble based on one tweet.

So, yes, you were being an ******* by bringing it up and trying to get people riled up.

So instead of posting a thread about how cool it is that an Iowa state alum is the CEO of a major company and that she happens to be a woman and gay, you are trying to cause some stupid ******* fight.

Jesus Christ you need a mood stabilizer. Just because he forgot to link the tweet in question doesn't mean he was trying to stir the pot.

OP next time include all details in the original post so as not to upset Fred's deranged stalker.

• Friendly
Reactions: Redman97

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Whether the shout-out is worthy of criticism. I think Arce’s response would have been fine if not for the scolding preamble.

I've never heard of either of them so not really sure what's relevant about his response/shout out.

I occasionally eat Land O'Lakes butter though so my only hope is they continue with the honey butter.

Also I fully enjoy the Land O'Lakes, WI surrounding area.

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City
You didn’t mention the context in your original post. You wanted to cause trouble based on one tweet.

So, yes, you were being an ******* by bringing it up and trying to get people riled up.

So instead of posting a thread about how cool it is that an Iowa state alum is the CEO of a major company and that she happens to be a woman and gay, you are trying to cause some stupid ******* fight.

I should have included the context - my apologies.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If I were openly gay and became the first openly gay CEO in the country, I would NOT want it mentioned at all. I'd want to be treated just like anyone else. Isn't that how most gay people want to be treated... just like anyone else.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Unless being gay was the reason she got the job, it doesn’t need to be mentioned, especially in a headline tweet with limited characters.
Should we start posting everybody’s sexual orientation when they receive a promotion?

“Jon Doe was just promoted to police chief. He is a straight male btw.”
“Jimmy is the new CEO of Wal-Mart, he’s black and gay.”

See how weird that is?

Ha, I just pictured the commercial for this in my head and it makes me laugh

Reactions: khardbored

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Couple comments from long time Twin Cities guy.

1. New CEO here being gay isn't much news. Might be the gay friendliest metro outside of San Francisco. Hell, the real estate nickname for my city within the gay community is Lavender Valley*.

2. Cyclones are taking over up here. CEO of Toro is also an ISU alumni.

3. 10,000 plus Cyclone alumni in the Twin Cities and I am disappointed I don't know them all. :rolleyes:

* I'm a straight guy who digs contemporary architecture, gardening and mid-century Scandinavian furniture so I fit right in.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Great news and I’m very happy for her. Proud to have more successful alumn out there representing in a positive way.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
If I were openly gay and became the first openly gay CEO in the country, I would NOT want it mentioned at all. I'd want to be treated just like anyone else. Isn't that how most gay people want to be treated... just like anyone else.
just like every other group there will be people that have opposing views. I agree with you wholeheartedly but this came to mind.
Yankees will be the only team to not host a gay pride night. Yankees response was everyone is welcome at Yankee stadium at every game. Perfectly respectable response. The guy in this article who I guess represents the LGBQT community didn’t think so. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna889101

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
**** like this brings out my inner-conservative.

Faux-outrage over **** that doesn't matter.

Literally one person on Twitter was outraged. No one in this thread was. And the original poster was just trying to start trouble.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm sure if you asked her she would want to earn the job based on merit only not by the fact of her gender or sexual preferences.

And there is no evidence that she didn’t earn the job based on those factors.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I'm sure if you asked her she would want to earn the job based on merit only not by the fact of her gender or sexual preferences.

I agree. We really shouldn't have to be even be making a big deal out of the fact that she is a woman. She is a person that worked her way to the top of a fortune 500 company and should be applauded.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I occasionally eat Land O'Lakes butter though so my only hope is they continue with the honey butter. .....

Good product, but LOL butter is the most overpriced thing in the dairy case.

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City
Literally one person on Twitter was outraged. No one in this thread was. And the original poster was just trying to start trouble.

From the article: But now Ford has taken another giant career leap that lands her in rarefied air: one of only 25 female chief executives, and the first-ever lesbian CEO, at a Fortune 500 firm.

Actually, the truth is that I'm a lefty in a sea of lefties in Iowa City. And I think we'd be a lot more effective if we weren't so self-righteous and scoldy. This thread confirms the knee-jerk, tribalistic miasma in which we live with all it's mind reading and assuming the worst of each other.

I'll be wearing a pride t-shirt from Schlafly at Irishfest in the 'Loo this Saturday, and I'll buy you a beer if you're there.

It's Fareway salted butter for me.

• Useful
Reactions: crawfy54