Should Punting Cost a Point?

Should it cost teams a point to punt the football?

• Yes

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • No

Votes: 135 87.1%

• Total voters

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I am not in favor of this. However, it would make it interesting if a team were between the 35-45 yard line. Do they go for it on 4th, or lose the point and punt to force the other team's offense close to their goal line?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is a horrible idea and will never happen, but hypothetically what if this indeed was a new rule for this year. If you were the head coach, would you ever punt? If so, at what yard line would you draw the line? I know it all depends on the game situation, the time left and so forth, but generally speaking, what yard line would you draw the line?

Off the top of my head, you wouldn't want to put the other team automatically in field goal range, but there is a chance you would make the 1st down on 4th too, so you have to factor that in. Tough call.

Let's say it's a tie game early in the 4th quarter, you're on your own 10 yd line with 4th and inches. That would be VERY difficult to call IMO. Punting would automatically put the other team ahead by 1.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
This an awful idea but it's probably not much different than when the 3pt line was added or the DH in baseball. It would drastically change how the game is coached and played.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I am not in favor of this. However, it would make it interesting if a team were between the 35-45 yard line. Do they go for it on 4th, or lose the point and punt to force the other team's offense close to their goal line?

Yeah. I could at least make an argument for punting on the opponent's end of the field for costing a point.

Or alternately, a FG when the LOS is within the 5 yard line only being worth 1-2 points. Give teams more incentive to go for it.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
GIF-what-George-C.-Scott-Dr.-Strangelove-GIF.gif

Reactions: Rolling Clones

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Intriguing concept to think about, but probably not in favor of it.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I'm probably not the first person to think this, but wouldn't this rule disincentivize turnovers for a defense? Depending on field position, you'd much rather have the punt than a fumble recovery or pick. Teams defensive strategies would shift away from turnovers (which are fun) and more towards punts (which are only as fun as the return team).

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm probably not the first person to think this, but wouldn't this rule disincentivize turnovers for a defense? Depending on field position, you'd much rather have the punt than a fumble recovery or pick. Teams defensive strategies would shift away from turnovers (which are fun) and more towards punts (which are only as fun as the return team).

Maybe for teams that have slow coaches. Why would any team say,hey don't recover that fumble and set us up in instant FG territory or pick off that pass and run back to the 20 so we can make them punt to our 30 and get a point?