Seriously Leistikow?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I love that something in the byline says 22 year sportswriting career or some such.

Isn't time to quit writing like you're 12 then?

To be fair he has quite the diverse resume...I mean he grew up in Iowa City.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Lol - Chad just posted an article to the Register about the top 10 OMG moments in Fry/Ferentz era. Bet he had to do quite a bit of laundry after writing that one.

Lol he doesn't even try to hide it anymore.

"The Beathard-to-Smith TD pass, despite the loss, still brings goose bumps today."

• Funny
Reactions: mj4cy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...-ten-basketball-opponents-revealed/525312001/

All in all, count this is as a good scheduling break for Iowa, which figures to be contending for the top four in the league as it brings back most of its 2016-17 roster that finished 19-15 and reached the NIT.

giphy.webp

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009
http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...-ten-basketball-opponents-revealed/525312001/

All in all, count this is as a good scheduling break for Iowa, which figures to be contending for the top four in the league as it brings back most of its 2016-17 roster that finished 19-15 and reached the NIT.

giphy.webp

We don't agree on much, Cy, but I do agree on the curiosity at the overwhelming optimism at of the local media toward the Iowa basketball team. There are some nice pieces, but what the national media sees is a 19-15 NIT team that was 13th out of 14 teams in defensive efficiency, which lost its leading scorer from last year. Combine that with some of the teams in the league (Northwestern, Purdue, MSU, Minnesota) returning as much/more players than Iowa does and you can see why some pumping of the brakes is in order.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
We don't agree on much, Cy, but I do agree on the curiosity at the overwhelming optimism at of the local media toward the Iowa basketball team. There are some nice pieces, but what the national media sees is a 19-15 NIT team that was 13th out of 14 teams in defensive efficiency, which lost its leading scorer from last year. Combine that with some of the teams in the league (Northwestern, Purdue, MSU, Minnesota) returning as much/more players than Iowa does and you can see why some pumping of the brakes is in order.

I think if Iowa is fortunate and things go well they will barely sneak in the tournament but I do think they will be an NIT team again. I know bracketology and all that stuff doesn't mean much now but when none of the guys are putting Iowa anywhere near it I'm not sure the local media would predict contending for a top 4 finish in the conference.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

I think though, if you look at the bottom half of the big ten I can see why there is optimism. I don't think Illinois, OSU, Indiana, Rutgers, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Penn State are going to be very good. I think MIchigan is just going to be ok. I think all they have to do is not have bad non con losses and then finish with a winning record in Big Ten and they will be in the Dance.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I think though, if you look at the bottom half of the big ten I can see why there is optimism. I don't think Illinois, OSU, Indiana, Rutgers, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Penn State are going to be very good. I think MIchigan is just going to be ok. I think all they have to do is not have bad non con losses and then finish with a winning record in Big Ten and they will be in the Dance.

I would be shocked if Wisconsin isn't better than Iowa.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Here is the link of any Hawk fans want to look back at some great moments.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...-omg-hawkeye-plays-fry-ferentz-era/522759001/

"I’m going for the shock and elation of the moment here. The kind of moment where you’re uncontrollably jumping around and hugging everyone in your jubilant path."

And Houghtlin's winning FG isn't even in the top 10, much less at the top where it should be? Duh. And there isn't even a mention of Charlie's naked bootleg against Michigan St.

Nice idea. Bad execution.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009

Of the teams you mentioned:

Wisconsin - gets the benefit of the doubt. When you've been to how many straight NCAA tournaments you have proven you can reload. Yes, they will not be as good as last year. It doesn't mean they won't be good.
Illinois - now has a far better coach with Underwood than Groce. Some talent is in place. They will be difficult to be at Champaign.
OSU - likely down this year.
Rutgers - came back from the depths 2 years ago to bad last year. Return most of what they had last year. Likely not good, but will be better.
Penn State - candidate to be much better. Iowa is 3-3 at Happy Valley in Fran's tenure and I would be surprised if Iowa wins this game. They have talented freshmen class back as sophomores. I don't think Chambers can coach much, but at some point a combination of talent and experience may be enough for them to be good.
Michigan - they will not be bad. Wagner is good piece to build around, they have transfers coming in and good freshmen class. Belien can coach.
Nebraska - Miles is on fumes.
Indiana - lost 3 underclassmen. They still have some talent and Miller is a good coach.

None of those teams is a gimme on the road for Iowa. In fact, Iowa lost at Illinois, at OSU, @Nebraska and @indiana last year.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Of the teams you mentioned:

Wisconsin - gets the benefit of the doubt. When you've been to how many straight NCAA tournaments you have proven you can reload. Yes, they will not be as good as last year. It doesn't mean they won't be good.
Illinois - now has a far better coach with Underwood than Groce. Some talent is in place. They will be difficult to be at Champaign.
OSU - likely down this year.
Rutgers - came back from the depths 2 years ago to bad last year. Return most of what they had last year. Likely not good, but will be better.
Penn State - candidate to be much better. Iowa is 3-3 at Happy Valley in Fran's tenure and I would be surprised if Iowa wins this game. They have talented freshmen class back as sophomores. I don't think Chambers can coach much, but at some point a combination of talent and experience may be enough for them to be good.
Michigan - they will not be bad. Wagner is good piece to build around, they have transfers coming in and good freshmen class. Belien can coach.
Nebraska - Miles is on fumes.
Indiana - lost 3 underclassmen. They still have some talent and Miller is a good coach.

None of those teams is a gimme on the road for Iowa. In fact, Iowa lost at Illinois, at OSU, @Nebraska and @indiana last year.

Great post but only people with 3000 posts in less than six months are to be believed.

Reactions: HawkeyeMashup