Levi Williams Commits

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Occasionally guys are grey shirts or preferred walk ones. The last couple guys fill more that profile.

Out of staters very rarely greyshirt or accept preferred walk on schollies if they have any other offers. Out of state tuition is stupid expensive. Has it happened? Yes. But unless they have some connection to the state of iowa, I would anticipate these are full ride guys.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The amount of guys Rhoads recruited that never played a single down at ISU was astronomical.

He was a victim of his own quote (somebody else will have to post it because I don't remember exactly how it went).

The number of guys that CPR recruited that never saw year 4 or 5 was even worse. There is nothing wrong with taking the developmental approach as long as you recruit kids that are willing to put in the work. CMC and his staff are identifying their guys early in the process while CPR was beating out North Texas and Texas State on signing day for the Texas leftovers...

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
The amount of guys Rhoads recruited that never played a single down at ISU was astronomical.

He was a victim of his own quote (somebody else will have to post it because I don't remember exactly how it went).
Something to the tune of how we aren't supposed to beat teams like Texas?

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Rhoads had more success in evaluating in some areas rather than others but remember that a lot of last years key contributors were Rhoads guys and there are still Rhoads guys left that are some of the best players on the team. As others have mentioned though, retention became a problem. I don't put too much emphasis on the star ratings because with programs like Iowa state some of the most important things are not how they are rated in HS but how good they are after a few years in the program so talent evaluation and program fit are huge and then development and retention once they get to campus.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Rhoads had more success in evaluating in some areas rather than others but remember that a lot of last years key contributors were Rhoads guys and there are still Rhoads guys left that are some of the best players on the team. As others have mentioned though, retention became a problem. I don't put too much emphasis on the star ratings because with programs like Iowa state some of the most important things are not how they are rated in HS but how good they are after a few years in the program so talent evaluation and program fit are huge and then development and retention once they get to campus.

CPR had way too many guys lost to attrition, injuries, and being stupid. Yes he also had more than a few complete misses, but every program is going to have some of those. Guys that are on scholarship for 2-3 years and never contribute are killers to a FB program. (with the exception of OL, that do take a while to develop.)

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
CPR had way too many guys lost to attrition, injuries, and being stupid. Yes he also had more than a few complete misses, but every program is going to have some of those. Guys that are on scholarship for 2-3 years and never contribute are killers to a FB program. (with the exception of OL, that do take a while to develop.)
I'm not sure why you would exclude OL from this. They do take longer to develop, but then you expect them to contribute at least 1-2 years before they're out of eligibility. If they don't contribute at all before they leave the program, then it's just as harmful to the program as any other position...maybe even worse since it takes longer to get others up to speed and ready to play.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
In a thread that's supposed to be about Levi Williams (and how the media isn't writing about it) the main discussions have been David Montgomery's Rivals page and how Rhoads sucked at recruiting.

Classic CF.

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I'm not sure why you would exclude OL from this. They do take longer to develop, but then you expect them to contribute at least 1-2 years before they're out of eligibility. If they don't contribute at all before they leave the program, then it's just as harmful to the program as any other position...maybe even worse since it takes longer to get others up to speed and ready to play.

2-3 years would make them juniors or RS juniors, which I think is the year that you expect contributions out of OL. ISU has had a lot of starters that were younger than this, but that was more of a case of necessity than ability/development.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Taking a commit from a lower rated recruit in June isn't even comparable to taking similarly rated kids in January. One is an example of getting who you want, the other is getting who you can.
This was said about Rhoads as well. There were early commits and everyone thought it was a guy the staff "wanted" rather just scrambling to get anyone who wants to come.

Not saying that Rhoads=Campbell by any stretch, just pointing out that people have ALWAYS made these points about diamonds in the rough, and "kids you want" vs "getting whoever you can"

To this point, I completely believe that the Campbell staff is 100x better at recruiting than Rhoads'. It's just that these arguments always come up.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron