***Official FIFA World Cup 2018 Thread***

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
That Mexico vs. Germany was so fun to watch. To those that find soccer boring, that match had excitement the whole time IMO, and yes it was a 1-0 final.

It was just back and forth with Mexico getting run outs all day long. Very fun to watch. Glad Mexico won.
I was watching it taped, and after the first half I decided to skip to about the 75th minute to see if Germany would change anything. Their midfield was so terrible, it kind of ruined the game for me. I really wanted to see Mexico counter-attack against the best the world had to offer, not some slow, poorly organized, hesitant excuse for a midfield. And I'm partial to Germany, so it was a just a lot of disappointment. They need wholesale changes. Rudy and/or Goretzka for Oezil and/or Khedira. Or move Kimmich inside.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I was watching it taped, and after the first half I decided to skip to about the 75th minute to see if Germany would change anything. Their midfield was so terrible, it kind of ruined the game for me. I really wanted to see Mexico counter-attack against the best the world had to offer, not some slow, poorly organized, hesitant excuse for a midfield. And I'm partial to Germany, so it was a just a lot of disappointment. They need wholesale changes. Rudy and/or Goretzka for Oezil and/or Khedira. Or move Kimmich inside.
Mueller was crap too. He's pretty dependent on his service, but I felt like Werner and Kimmich were the only ones willing to make a run until they brought on Brandt and Reus.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I don't think Fekir's happening if Liverpool weren't pleased with his physical at the France training camp. Great player though.

Been lots on this- There is an opinion that the director of football wanted to save face and that the deal will be completed after the WC as he said it would be. He is an investor in the club but he does have a board of directors to answer to so he does not want to appear weak but rolling over and giving LFC what they wanted which is before WC. We will see- If we don't get Fekir it will be someone else of equal talent.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Think you are a little too down on Germany. A lot of teams looked rusty in the first match. Honestly they need to work harder in the last third but 9 times out of 10 they get at least a point playing this way. They had 2/3 of the possession. They just need to have a better plan to get their target men open. I’ve seen matches like this all over the premiere league. They happen. Germany is suffering from champions syndrome. It’s not that uncommon to see the previous WC winner not make it out of group. It happened to Spain in the last cycle.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I don't think I've seen a single person take the ball away from Isco, when he is on the ball, these first two games. His touch with passes and his ability to keep the ball glued to his foot in tight spaces is really incredible.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I don't think I've seen a single person take the ball away from Isco, when he is on the ball, these first two games. His touch with passes and his ability to keep the ball glued to his foot in tight spaces is really incredible.
Was it him that made the cool looking scoop turn pass to Iniesta a bit ago? That was pretty sweet looking.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Was it him that made the cool looking scoop turn pass to Iniesta a bit ago? That was pretty sweet looking.
yeah, he does that a bunch I've noticed. The ball seems stuck on his laces at some points throughout play. Pretty impressive to watch.

Edit: w/ Video

Last edited:

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Think you are a little too down on Germany. A lot of teams looked rusty in the first match. Honestly they need to work harder in the last third but 9 times out of 10 they get at least a point playing this way. They had 2/3 of the possession. They just need to have a better plan to get their target men open. I’ve seen matches like this all over the premiere league. They happen. Germany is suffering from champions syndrome. It’s not that uncommon to see the previous WC winner not make it out of group. It happened to Spain in the last cycle.
I get what you mean, but most of their possession was useless. And when I see wholesale changes, I really just mean central midfield. The Khedira-Oezil-Kroos midfield is failure, and I think most of it is on Khedira. There's no excuse for a veteran like him to be so far out of position, and he looks like he's lost his legs. They need a new defensive midfield anchor, because they can't rely on Oezil for defensive cover.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Isco's amazing. Sometimes you wish he was a little more direct, but that's a little like squeezing creativity out of an artist. You can't just make a Messi or Isco beat five guys on demand. It just happens.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Iran is sure boring to watch with the way they play, but they do it so well. Gave Spain a good fight and think they could give Portugal trouble if Ronaldo has an off night.

• Agree

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
Isco's amazing. Sometimes you wish he was a little more direct, but that's a little like squeezing creativity out of an artist. You can't just make a Messi or Isco beat five guys on demand. It just happens.

Completely agree. Dude was easily the best player when he played for Malaga 3 yrs ago, and could probably be even more established now. But, he would prefer to spend most of his time on the bench for Real. Totally blows my mind why players do that, atleast James figured it out and left for Bayern where hes in the regular 11.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Yeah, he definitely seems to run away from open spaces and loves being in close on either the line or defenders, or both haha. But that is what allows him to make the things look so impressive like he does

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Neither the Argies or the Croats can hit the broad side of a barn. Two open goals gaping and nothing!

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Argentina is a dumpster fire at this point. All but maybe 2-3 of their players are just lazy on the field. Lots of walking around off the ball. Lots of lazy close-outs even within their own third. Lots of players behind the ball standing right next to each other walking around. Messi looks disinterested unless he has the ball. Keeper gives the ball to a Croatian standing alone right in front of him to give up the first goal. I've never seen such disinterested play by a team in the world cup. Hell, Brazil team that lost 0-7 showed more effort than the Argentinian team this half.

• Agree

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Argentina is a dumpster fire at this point. All but maybe 2-3 of their players are just lazy on the field. Lots of walking around off the ball. Lots of lazy close-outs even within their own third. Lots of players behind the ball standing right next to each other walking around. Messi looks disinterested unless he has the ball. Keeper gives the ball to a Croatian standing alone right in front of him to give up the first goal. I've never seen such disinterested play by a team in the world cup. Hell, Brazil team that lost 0-7 showed more effort than the Argentinian team this half.
Holy ****, everything you just described was shown in that last goal. Their entire defense stopped, cause they thought he was offsides.. Just stopped. As 3 croatians were in the box

IaState95

Jun 12, 2018
Colorado
Wow so if Iceland beats Nigeria, Argentina is knocked out of the World Cup? I think it’s pretty clear that Ronaldo is the best player in the world

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Messi is a great player; I just don't think he loves playing for Argentina. He got a lot of hate after the last world cup and I'm surprised he decided to play for them again this time around.

I'm guessing he caught a lot of hate the last couple days for missing the PK in their first game and is mentally checked out at this point. Seems that most of their team is completely disengaged by the end of this game. They deserve to go home.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Portugal's lesser players work hard on and off the ball, and actively seek out Ronaldo in the final 1/3rd. Argentina's lesser players work hard when they think they can make a play, then disengage once they don't.

Tough to watch if you're an Argentina fan.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron