Kinnick north end zone renovation

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not sure what that has to do with anything. I’ve been to six or seven different stadiums, and Iowa State has the 2nd worst tailgating environment out of them. They’ve got a really big parking lot though!!!

I haven’t been to several of those big ten places but I can see you rankings as a little logical. Iowa state second to worst and Iowa worst. Those two are at least correct in order.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Haven't been there but coming in at #10 Michigan sounds pretty good. Not #6 good, but top-10 is impressive. Texas isn't ranked so I'll call BS on that one. I believe you on Kansas.

Austin during football season is amazing. I know you don't like quality smoked meat but there's a lot of it down there for a tailgate

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
I’ve been to a bunch of stadiums. Tennessee was my favorite, setting aside my Iowa bias. You can’t compare Iowa and Iowa State. Too different of an experience. If you are a regular tailgater, and go with a group, it’s hard to beat Iowa. If you’re a first time visitor, and you walk around, and introduce yourself, you’ll have a great time. ISU obviously is just different. Granted I wasn’t there for an ISU Iowa game so it might be way better.

I encourage anyone in the area to do a Volunteer game and hang out with the Vol Navy

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
I’ve done ISU, Iowa, Wisconsin, West Virginia , Michigan, Minnesota, UNI, James Madison, and Virginia tailgates and the only one I was really let down by was UNI (stopping tailgating before kickoff was really strange). I wasn’t a fan of Iowa but could see the appeal.

From my experience, as long as there are passionate fans, good food, and cold beer, any tailgating is a good time.

• Agree
Reactions: breck53

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I’ve been to a bunch of stadiums. Tennessee was my favorite, setting aside my Iowa bias. You can’t compare Iowa and Iowa State. Too different of an experience. If you are a regular tailgater, and go with a group, it’s hard to beat Iowa. If you’re a first time visitor, and you walk around, and introduce yourself, you’ll have a great time. ISU obviously is just different. Granted I wasn’t there for an ISU Iowa game so it might be way better.

I encourage anyone in the area to do a Volunteer game and hang out with the Vol Navy
Setting aside your bias? LOL.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
ca·pac·i·ty
kəˈpasədē/
noun
  1. 1.
    the maximum amount that something can contain.
    "the capacity of the freezer is 1.1 cubic feet"
    synonyms: volume, size, magnitude, dimensions, measurements, proportions
    "the capacity of the freezer"
You bragging about having a puny stadium? Iowa had 8300+ more fans per game. Nuff said....

• Useful
Reactions: JP4CY

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Not sure what that has to do with anything. I’ve been to six or seven different stadiums, and Iowa State has the 2nd worst tailgating environment out of them. They’ve got a really big parking lot though!!!

And that qualifies Benji for my Ignore list. Good bye.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You bragging about having a puny stadium? Iowa had 8300+ more fans per game. Nuff said....
Jeez Dex, you’re not that dense are you? Do you say the same thing about Iowa basketball and Duke basketball since Cameron is smaller than Carver?

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
Kinnick is a nice stadium. Even with my cardinal and gold blinders on I can admit that. But still, **** Iowa.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyTwins

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would agree with the trolls if they said Iowa was historic because it is nearly 100 years old. Not too many of those around. But they try to put little things in there that aren’t.

One thing I think they forgot to add to the historic part is the longest college D1 losing seasons streak. Unless somebody has passed it recently. I don’t know.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It’s so cute that Iowa State fans try to talk smack about Iowa’s tailgating, as if the only thing that matters is how big the main parking lot near the stadium is. The funny thing is, the only people who think Iowa State has a special tailgating environment are Iowa State fans.

Since about 2012 or so, most of my Iowa season ticket holding buddies have preferred tailgating in Ames.

Iowa's pretty damn fun if you have a group with a spot, but it's a mess if you don't. Plus, the university and local police have gotten a lot stricter in recent years. Tailgating is treated more like a nuisance than an asset there.

I've been to the following schools for games:
Iowa State
Iowa
UNI
Minnesota
Nebraska
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Oklahoma State
TCU
Baylor
Texas A&M
Texas
Akron
West Virginia

Iowa's up there for great tailgating, but ISU is a little better. Out of that list, my Top 5 would be ISU, WVU, Texas, Iowa, and KSU. Nebraska was worse than I expected. Kansas was better than I expected. OK State is really good and just missed that cut. Baylor is god awful.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: ATCy and ThriceHawk

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
Since about 2012 or so, most of my Iowa season ticket holding buddies have preferred tailgating in Ames.
Same here. My neighbor who is an Iowa 20 year season ticket holder for fb and b-ball who has been to every big ten stadium says he likes our tailgating and game day experience as much as any and prefers most over Iowa’s.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Same here. My neighbor who is an Iowa 20 year season ticket holder for fb and b-ball who has been to every big ten stadium says he likes our tailgating and game day experience as much as any and prefers most over Iowa’s.

My Iowa buddies like tailgating at Iowa, they just think our set up is a little better and always have fun when they come to Ames.

I'd put Iowa pretty high, but it's just such a cluster ****.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
@Al_4_State you never made it to Colorado?

I had a good time at aTm with as creepy as their fans are. Texas is a lot like Wisconsin. Lots of city tailgating. Texas was a great time.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
@Al_4_State you never made it to Colorado?

I had a good time at aTm with as creepy as their fans are. Texas is a lot like Wisconsin. Lots of city tailgating. Texas was a great time.

Nope. The year my crew went I was in a wedding back home. Which was fine, it was the day Arnaud died along with our 2010 bowl expectations.

A&M was fun. Their fans are fine in one-on-one interactions. But once they enter the church, the cult comes at you with a frenzy. College Station was actually pretty similar to Ames.

Agree on the Texas/Wisconsin comparison. I haven't been to a game in Wisconsin, but have spent a lot of time in Madison. Really similar vibe to Austin with the whole state capital/flagship college thing.

Help Support Us

Become a patron