New Iowa license plates

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
And this...
corntrophy.jpg
I always wonder what the artist who designed and created this feels about it now. It's been universally panned and berated.

Does he/she:
not care cause they still got paid?
cry self to sleep every night because of the criticism?
wish they had done things differently?
gave up art and now works as a cashier at Menards?

There's a "where are they now?" story for you...

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I remember that when I did the online vote there was one that I liked more, but these are fine. Such an odd thing to get worked up about.

The old ones aren't great either. Pretty impossible to tell what the (very) light blue "silhouette" is supposed to be from even a short distance. If you don't know what you're looking for, it's really hard to tell.

I appreciate the more distinct color change from blue>white>green on the new ones in that regard

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
They supposedly had online voting and this was the one people chose?

I remember the online voting, but I don't remember any of the options having a big blank white rectangle in the middle.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I had R1NG4CY ISU plates on old an car of mine. I just junked that car a couple weeks ago, and have decided to hang the ISU plates in my first home the wife and I just bought. One plate will go in the garage, the other in the basement (man cave).

Now I need to think of a new vanity ISU plate to put on my current car.

If you go to the DMV website, you can enter text to find out if the plates are already taken. Also, I've made a list of hundreds of ISU vanity plates that I've seen over the years. Lots of good ideas on there. And lots of clever ways to steal someone else's good ideas, such as use the numeral "1" for the letter "I" in words like H1LTON.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If you go to the DMV website, you can enter text to find out if the plates are already taken. Also, I've made a list of hundreds of ISU vanity plates that I've seen over the years. Lots of good ideas on there. And lots of clever ways to steal someone else's good ideas, such as use the numeral "1" for the letter "I" in words like H1LTON.
Brilliant! I'm stealing that.

Raymeus

Nov 8, 2006
I always wonder what the artist who designed and created this feels about it now. It's been universally panned and berated.

Does he/she:
not care cause they still got paid?
cry self to sleep every night because of the criticism?
wish they had done things differently?
gave up art and now works as a cashier at Menards?

There's a "where are they now?" story for you...

In Illinois the new plates were done in-house to save money (since the state's finances are such a train-wreck). I can only imagine that the bum who designed them was a political appointee hack who maybe had one art history class at community college. My eyes hurt every time I see these pieces of dung on the road.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
We've been seeing a few around Ames and our first thought was that something's missing in the center of the plate. Like the plate didn't get printed correctly and the whole center portion is plain/white. Nope, don't like them, never have, never will. And sorry/not sorry to the poor person who designed them.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm starting to see them around now too. I don't love them but don't hate them. I thought the old ones were better.

But I have ISU plates on all our cars, and will continue to do so in the future, so I don't really care all that much

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Can you get period-correct plates for antique vehicles in Iowa like some other states offer?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I would like something like this but it's not available. My understanding is that they took the Dordt college plate and modified it but I'm not sure.
OK maybe not, if it was a college plate it wouldn't have the county. No clue how this person got this plate.

MoeYvN6.jpg

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am a fan of the European license plates. All pretty much standard with the country code on the far left.
2025_greece.jpg

You could have a US standard and have the State postal code on the far left or something.

european-license-plates-us-states.jpg

One caveat is that it only looks good when it is the wide version not the more boxy shape of ours. Which would require a lot of change in the US if we went that route.

plate-jpg.85642

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
That's why I had R1NG4CY plates. Someone already had RING4CY on their vehicle.

I'm just drawing a blank to what I even want next before checking to see if it's available.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Can you get period-correct plates for antique vehicles in Iowa like some other states offer?
I think in Minnesota if you can find MN period plates (or Year of Manufacture plates) you can register them with the state and use them on your antique auto. They have to have a plate identifier ("plate number") that is no longer in use in the state, however.

EDIT: You can do that in Iowa as well:
https://www.dmv.org/ia-iowa/special-license-plates.php

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Acylum

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron