MLB: ***Official 2018 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Monty pitches another solid game and gets no run support. Today is pretty much like a kick in the nuts watching our buyer's remorse in Chatwood walk a small village again (hey at least he made it through 5 this time!) then the guy that should have his spot in the rotation Montgomery pitches another great game and the offense doesn't do crap for him up until that Schwarbomb as I type this...

When Bass went out there, I didn't hear his name. Instead, I saw the beard and thought, "Good night, not Chatwood again."

• Funny
Reactions: CYdTracked

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Not sure why they didn't pitch to Baez there. He'd be swinging for the fences instead of just swinging to get the ball out of the infield and would likely hack at the first 3 pitches.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Man I love Almora. Doesn't matter how Maddon uses him he just keeps coming up with big plays to prove he is becoming another guy the Cubs need to keep in their core to build around

Reactions: Clonefan32

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Good to get that W. Getting the one earlier today coulda made today really sweet. And yeah like ISUAlum2002 said, why the **** would you walk Javy? It sets you up for a DP but with no outs that means nothing and it doesn't give you a force at all. And instead you're going to a guy that's a hell of a lot less likely to strike out. If Joe makes that call he gets crucified

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Not sure why they didn't pitch to Baez there. He'd be swinging for the fences instead of just swinging to get the ball out of the infield and would likely hack at the first 3 pitches.

Agreed, and if you do walk him, then why not walk Almora as well to set up the force play everywhere?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Agreed, and if you do walk him, then why not walk Almora as well to set up the force play everywhere?

I have no idea what Roberts was thinking here. Baez is second in terms of strikeouts on the Cubs, so work on striking him out with sliders. Once you do that, walk Almora and Rizzo, and let Contreras ground in to a double play (which he leads the team in doing). If you end up walking Baez, walk Almora, and then you have Rizzo who is second on the team in terms of grounding into double plays.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
When they didn't send Morrow out there I really missed Edwards. I really think with him they would have gone 2-0 yesterday and taken over first place.

Morrow now on 10 day DL. Would this be retro to Sunday since he last pitched on Saturday?

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I have no idea what Roberts was thinking here. Baez is second in terms of strikeouts on the Cubs, so work on striking him out with sliders. Once you do that, walk Almora and Rizzo, and let Contreras ground in to a double play (which he leads the team in doing). If you end up walking Baez, walk Almora, and then you have Rizzo who is second on the team in terms of grounding into double plays.

This is my thought exactly. Try to get the Baez strikeout, put Almora on, and take your chance of Rizzo grounding out into the shift like he does quite often. If you get beat on Rizzo's power, so be it, but you've given yourself your best shot at getting out of a situation where the chances of runs scoring are over 80%.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com