I-35 / US 30 Flyover Progress

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
8 hrs isn't all that big of a deal. There is a portion of the 35W/94 interchange in Minneapolis that is currently closed for the next 3 years.

I can see it being a big deal that they just now came up with this staging plan and ample time has not been given to notify public.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
8 hrs isn't all that big of a deal. There is a portion of the 35W/94 interchange in Minneapolis that is currently closed for the next 3 years.

I can see it being a big deal that they just now came up with this staging plan and ample time has not been given to notify public.
Actually it opens in fall of 2021 so it is closer to 3 1/3 years. This better be good when they are finished.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Where did you get your degree?
B/S Industrial Administration, Iowa State University,....minors in chemistry, zoology, and biology,....I completed my pre-med requirements then changed my mind.

Last edited:

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Actually it opens in fall of 2021 so it is closer to 3 1/3 years. This better be good when they are finished.
Slacker project. The new I-74 bridge crossing the Mississippi in the Quad Cities is a 10 years in the making.
5951de5dba9b1.image.jpg

Last edited:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
They did flyovers at the I-80 I-29 interchange at Council Bluffs. A couple of those are open now. I swear that project has been going on for close to 5 years.

• Agree
Reactions: cydsho

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
I'm not in the industry but I asked someone associated with the Highway 330/Baxter exit project why they didn't pour the road last fall before winter and his reply was they had to let the land settle over the winter before they could pour the concrete.

They did the same for the 100th St bridge in Urbandale. You'd be surprised how much built-up soil can settle over a winter, even when compacted. And even more surprised how little settlement it takes to really mess up a roadway.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
JFC, wonder how much taxpayer money is being flushed on this project.

If its the contractors error, the contractor should be responsible for the waste/mistakes, the State should only pay for the final product.

I don't think the DOT necessarily gets to pick the contractors. It's all public bid type work.

Im assuming the DOT has some sort of public purchasing policy that allows them discretion. Cost is not always a deciding factor when choosing between RFP's, there should be numerous factors accounted for (cost being one of them). Im assuming the DOT Board gets to make the final decision on who is awarded the bid, and obviously that CAN become political.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
If its the contractors error, the contractor should be responsible for the waste/mistakes, the State should only pay for the final product.

Im assuming the DOT has some sort of public purchasing policy that allows them discretion. Cost is not always a deciding factor when choosing between RFP's, there should be numerous factors accounted for (cost being one of them). Im assuming the DOT Board gets to make the final decision on who is awarded the bid, and obviously that CAN become political.

Bottom paragraph is true of private development. Most government contracts go to the "lowest qualified bidder", and the definition of that can be murky. If these guys have never done this type of construction, they may fall into the category of an unqualified bidder. However, it can open the DOT up to a potential lawsuit if the contractor thinks they are qualified and discriminated against.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
They did the same for the 100th St bridge in Urbandale. You'd be surprised how much built-up soil can settle over a winter, even when compacted. And even more surprised how little settlement it takes to really mess up a roadway.

Oh trust me I understand the concept. A huge retaining wall at our house just fell over because of settlement issues. So I can imagine a highway with trucks running on it 24/7.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
At what point does the contractor just walk away from a project like this? They must be losing a ton of money and it is hard to imagine that they will get any more business of this type. It just seems like a bankruptcy waiting to happen.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
At what point does the contractor just walk away from a project like this? They must be losing a ton of money and it is hard to imagine that they will get any more business of this type. It just seems like a bankruptcy waiting to happen.

Agree. I think there's a reason you pretty much see the same company's doing a majority of the road work in Iowa. It's because they are tried and true and know what they are doing.

I'll be curious to see how long it takes them to do the expansion between Tama and Cedar Rapids.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I'll be curious to see how long it takes them to do the expansion between Tama and Cedar Rapids.

They’ve been cruising on the dirt work so far. I can’t believe how much they’ve gotten done across that whole stretch.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Oh trust me I understand the concept. A huge retaining wall at our house just fell over because of settlement issues. So I can imagine a highway with trucks running on it 24/7.

I'm talking even without loads yet. When you pile up a bunch of dirt in an area, it's going to settle multiple inches from rain infiltration alone. After a few weeks to a few months, depending on the amount of dirt and depth of new fill, the amount of settlement without loads will diminish to near zero. That's when you can start adding ramps onto it.

Long-term settlement of a retaining wall is a different animal, because there are lateral loads behind it, but yes, the overall concept is the same.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

Basically when they go bankrupt. At some point if they don't perform, you get the bonding company involved and then their ability to get future work goes down the hole.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
They poured some or maybe all of the piers about 30" too tall is what I've heard. Now the piers have to be shortened. Not a good look for the DOT or whoever has the contract. About a month ago the project was supposed to be completed by this November. Not sure how this changes the timeline now.

Need to have this done before football season starts. That intersection is a disaster and this construction will make it worse. Someone is going to die this fall there.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Need to have this done before football season starts. That intersection is a disaster and this construction will make it worse. Someone is going to die this fall there.
I don't see how that's possible at all. I'm hoping they are at best done in time for snow and ice at the end of the year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron