2017 ISU loss to Texas

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
(From previous thread......) Finally broke down and watched the full Iowa replay. A couple of things stood out to me.

• Park's arm is twice that of Kempt.
  • Iowa ran all over ISU.
  • ISU ran out of gas in the 4th Qtr
  • Yep, am still sick.

In follow-up, watched the Texas game. Replay is the same as i remember it.

• Park could throw 10-20 yd darts to open man on a rope. Anything else, he was totally inept. IMO, single handedly, lost us the game. Puzzled as to why the coaches did not pull him to start the second half.
  • Texas ran all over ISU.
  • I like the 3 down linemen scheme, BUT letting Texas QB "HAVE ALL DAY" to pass is trouble. When the QB understands he can stand there for essentially an eternity, he eventually finds an open man. Same thing beat us in KSU game on final drive.
  • ISU ran out of gas in the 4th Qtr.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
tenor.gif

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I dont blame Park. It was the worst coaching i have ever seen. Montgomery averaged 5 yards per carry and passing plays went for less than 3 yards per attempt with 2 picks in the first half, yet the coaches only gave the ball to montgomery 3 times in the second half.

Park wasn't good at all but its nlt his fault the coaches refused to give the damn ball to their all american rb.

Styx

Nov 16, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
  • I like the 3 down linemen scheme, BUT letting Texas QB "HAVE ALL DAY" to pass is trouble. When the QB understands he can stand there for essentially an eternity, he eventually finds an open man. Same thing beat us in KSU game on final drive.

Yeah, I fully disagree with the criticism here. This game is what made me realize how fortunate we are to have Heacock as our DC. His game plan was ingenious and he ran a scheme and blitz package that Texas had never seen him run on film. That three man front that let the QB "HAVE ALL DAY" gave the kid a sense of comfort. Once he saw that the QB had a false sense of comfort, he started hitting him with the blitz and their QB had no idea how to handle it. Holding Texas to 17 should have been enough to win the game. That loss was completely on the O.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I smell a Park/Kempt debate coming on.

Kempt: would probably prefer that nobody even knows he's on the team, wins big games. Good friends with his backup.

Park: shows up Hollywood for Thursday night CFB pregame, checks the cameras while he's talking to teammates after he screwed up another drive. Never won a big game and threw the staff under the bus on his way out.

The defense wasn't the issue in that loss.

The poop helmets shouldn't be to blame, but geez that was a bad reach for establishing a 'brand'.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
First, let’s move on. Do you go back and rehash every time a woman dumps you after you start dating another?

Next, everything I’ve heard is that Park was changing plays quite a bit. So if you want to know why we rarely used DM and had poor set up, you probably are still wondering why Campbell was upset at Park and bumped him.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I dont blame Park. It was the worst coaching i have ever seen. Montgomery averaged 5 yards per carry and passing plays went for less than 3 yards per attempt with 2 picks in the first half, yet the coaches only gave the ball to montgomery 3 times in the second half.

Park wasn't good at all but its nlt his fault the coaches refused to give the damn ball to their all american rb.

IIRC there were a lot of RPO's that Park threw on or running plays he audibled out of

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Helmets. Anyone take Psych 101 at Iowa State?
The Helmets sucked. We were out-coached.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Why rewatch the Texas game? That's one you just move on from IMO. Everyone knows why we lost that game, fix it in the locker room and on the practice field.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Then the coaches should not have called RPOs.

As much as everyone wants to hate on Park, that game was 100% on the coaches.

A lot of mistakes besides just the coaches. If I call a left sweep that gets changed in the huddle to outright pass by the QB, how would I as a coach be 100% responsible for that.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
A lot of mistakes besides just the coaches. If I call a left sweep that gets changed in the huddle to outright pass by the QB, how would I as a coach be 100% responsible for that.

If its really that bad, where the QB is ignoring the coaches 100%, then its 100% on the coaches to bench the QB. Period.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
There is blame to pass around to both players and coaches.

Oh, you're right. No one on the offense played well that game. However, getting beat physically sucks, but you are going up against players fighting back against you. Sometimes you get beat.

There is no excuse for letting your All American Running Back have 3 carries in the second half of a close football game. Its not like there was something Texas was doing to physically stop Iowa State from handing the ball to their All American Running Back.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Oh, you're right. No one on the offense played well that game. However, getting beat physically sucks, but you are going up against players fighting back against you. Sometimes you get beat.

There is no excuse for letting your All American Running Back have 3 carries in the second half of a close football game. Its not like there was something Texas was doing to physically stop Iowa State from handing the ball to their All American Running Back.

Were we calling Montgomery an All-American as early as the Texas game last year?

• Winner
Reactions: cynile

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Were we calling Montgomery an All-American as early as the Texas game last year?

UNI: 82 yards on 14 carries (5.9 yards per carry)
Iowa: 112 yards on 20 carries (5.6 yards per carry)
Akron: 127 yards on 22 carries (5.8 yards per carry)
First half against Texas: 5.0 yards per carry
Second half against Texas: 3 freaking carries

For the game, we averaged 3.98 yards per play on passing plays, with 3 interceptions.

He ended the year as an all american and actually played better than that in his first 3 games. Even if he wasn't officially an all american yet, he was playing like one.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron