Andy Katz seeds the unseeded non-conference tournaments

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Came across this nice write up on the Maui Invitational

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...ence-basketball-tournaments-could-be-key-come

"The Maui Invitational (Nov. 19-21) is back to being the best tournament of the non-conference with Arizona, Auburn, Duke, Gonzaga, Illinois, Iowa State, San Diego State and Xavier. There is no longer a spot in the main field for Chaminade. Here is how I would seed the field: 1. Gonzaga; 2. Duke; 3. Auburn; 4. Iowa State; 5. San Diego State; 6. Xavier; 7. Illinois; 8. Arizona. Wow. Think about this field for a second. In a given year these could be the top eight seeds in a regional. Gonzaga was my top pick for the pre-season Power 36. Duke will get plenty of love for being a top choice. But they still should be 1-2 in some order and be set up on opposite brackets for a possible Maui final.

Iowa State will be a sleeper in the Big 12 with the return of Lindell Wigginton. A quarterfinal matchup between Iowa State and San Diego State would be a high-level March game. And how about the other quarterfinals: Gonzaga-Arizona? Duke-Illinois? Auburn-Xavier? The organizers can’t go wrong with tweaking a few of the bottom four seeds. Gonzaga, Duke and Iowa State are going to have tremendous power-rating schedules based on non-conference games and/or conference slates in the ACC and Big 12 for the latter two. San Diego State is the one school here that can benefit the most by winning two games in this field."

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I like how high Katz is on Iowa State, but I don’t agree totally on his seeding for Maui. Arizona may have a major rebuild in store (relatively), but I don't see UA getting placed at #8. 5th or 6th maybe.

Illinois has to be #8 don't they? They were horrible last year, and lost some transfers too.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Illinois has to be #8 don't they? They were horrible last year, and lost some transfers too.

I'd probably put Illinois at 8, too. San Diego State is the other one. Xavier lost a lot, but has been prominent in past few seasons, I think it'll stay off 7/8 line.

If I were seeding it today, I'd guess:
1. Duke
8. Illinois
4. Iowa State
5. Arizona
3. Auburn
6. Xavier
2. Gonzaga
7. San Diego State

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I'd probably put Illinois at 8, too. San Diego State is the other one. Xavier lost a lot, but has been prominent in past few seasons, I think it'll stay off 7/8 line.

1. Duke
8. Illinois
4. Iowa State
5. Arizona
3. Auburn
6. Xavier
2. Gonzaga
7. San Diego State[
/QUOTE]

I'm just excited to see us possibly match up against some of these powerhouse programs to see where we are.

I agree with your seeding, here.

Reactions: cyclones500

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I actually don't hate them playing Duke right away. It may give them the opportunity to pick them off. Lately Duke has really struggled defensively, especially early, mostly do to so many freshman playing. ISU would be way up for that game it would be the first time some of these kids would be playing a really competitive college game. Pick Duke off and it would immediately get national attention and be great for the resume obviously.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Architect

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I actually don't hate them playing Duke right away. It may give them the opportunity to pick them off. Lately Duke has really struggled defensively, especially early, mostly do to so many freshman playing. ISU would be way up for that game it would be the first time some of these kids would be playing a really competitive college game. Pick Duke off and it would immediately get national attention and be great for the resume obviously.

Duke was a top 10 defensive team last year

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Bottom line, I can't recall the last time ISU was in a fully bracketed 8-team tournament with such an overall strong field. I'm sure it occurred more recently than I assume, just nothing comes immediately to mind. I'm open to examples.

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016

1. Duke
8. Illinois
4. Iowa State
5. Arizona
3. Auburn
6. Xavier
2. Gonzaga
7. San Diego State

Xavier also lost their head coach, so I'm expecting that to be a decent roadblock as well.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Bottom line, I can't recall the last time ISU was in a fully bracketed 8-team tournament with such an overall strong field. I'm sure it occurred more recently than I assume, just nothing comes immediately to mind. I'm open to examples.

It's a great schedule builder, with a lot of opportunity there. We still have a relatively young team, but this will provide a great early measuring stick, and if we can pull out a couple, it will help launch the year.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Duke was a top 10 defensive team last year

You must not pay close attention to college basketball as a whole. For most of the season they were a piss poor defensive team because they couldn't stick with anyone in man to man because of their ball-screen defense. That is when K switched exclusively to the Syracuse 2-3 zone. After that their defense ranking kept going up and up but that was later in the season. Probably the last month and the tournament.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone