Big 12 Conference Payment Distribution

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
That OU site article was worth a read, but I have to chuckle at the smug dripping from the author and the commenters. Just like the last round of re-alignment, it feels like the Blue Bloods can't wait to stick it to the lesser schools and go form an exclusive club. Sorry, I don't buy it. College football can't thrive with 40 elite teams beating up on each other.

I am really enjoying reading about Nebraska's lost decade of revenue. Go back to 2010 and read some of the prognostications about how the world would look 5-10 years down the road. Well here we are and ISU is pulling in more revenue than PAC XII and ACC heavyweights (not to mention the mighty Huskers). All ISU can do is keep controlling what they can control. Hire good administrators and get the best football coach we can. Keep a seat at the table. The rest will take care of itself.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The Blue Bloods can’t form an exclusive club - because half of them would automatically become losers. The fans of those universities are all under the assumption they are elite until they lose in the regular season and then they can give X, Y, & Z excuses about why they are still better than teams in other conferences or even the other division in their own conference. “Elite League” football would be terrible in practice, as it would mean some Blue Bloods would have immediate & multiple losses with no excuses other than their team just stinks. Imagine the outrage and negative press the loser universities would generate - they would need immediate (and more expensive) coaching upgrades with faster results, lest that school becomes the new “bottom feeder” of this new league.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Here is TV revenue for Nebraska since leaving the BIG:
$14 mil
$15.4 mil
$16.9 Mil
$18.7 Mil
$ 20.9 Mil
$23.6 Mil
$50 Mil- This year

$159 Mil

Here is Iowa State Tv Revenue to compare (Im going to use about $2.5 mil for Tier 3)

$20.5 Mil
$23.5 Mi
$25.5 mil
$25.8 Mil
$32.5 Mil
$37.3 Mil
$39.3 Mil

$204 Mil

Since Nebraska Departure..little Ole Iowa State has made roughly $40 mil more in TV revenue...That number was much larger accept this summer Neb started getting a full share. So it will be until roughly 2023 until Nebraska actually starts making up completely for leaving the conference.

One could also argue that the disparity is actually larger because Nebraska Tier 3 deal would have been a minimum of $6-$8 mil a year..
They start catching up pretty quick at $10M surplus each year though...

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
You guys with PAC-12 mergings have to remember. Texas and Oklahoma are on the list of states California state employees cannot set foot into for business purposes. Unless something changes, the public California schools will be out of play.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
You guys with PAC-12 mergings have to remember. Texas and Oklahoma are on the list of states California state employees cannot set foot into for business purposes. Unless something changes, the public California schools will be out of play.
Dang...I was really looking forward to that Cal/Oklahoma rivalry. Best thing since Nebraska/Rutgers.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The Blue Bloods can’t form an exclusive club - because half of them would automatically become losers. The fans of those universities are all under the assumption they are elite until they lose in the regular season and then they can give X, Y, & Z excuses about why they are still better than teams in other conferences or even the other division in their own conference. “Elite League” football would be terrible in practice, as it would mean some Blue Bloods would have immediate & multiple losses with no excuses other than their team just stinks. Imagine the outrage and negative press the loser universities would generate - they would need immediate (and more expensive) coaching upgrades with faster results, lest that school becomes the new “bottom feeder” of this new league.

Is there someone you have in mind in the state of Iowa?

• Funny
Reactions: SolarGarlic

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I can see Amazon or Netflix buying the top streaming rights to the top schools, but it would not be 40 universities. It’ll be all Power 5 teams and Notre Dame. You’re going to be leaving out some extremely valuable properties at 40 schools.

I still think we see a regression to traditional conferences with an expanded playoff. Original PAC 8, Big 10, Big 8, SEC, ACC with new versions of a SWC, Big East, and a Northeast football conference. All of them owned by one streaming service. That would be an incredibly valuable product.

Reactions: norcalcy

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
That OU site article was worth a read, but I have to chuckle at the smug dripping from the author and the commenters. Just like the last round of re-alignment, it feels like the Blue Bloods can't wait to stick it to the lesser schools and go form an exclusive club. Sorry, I don't buy it. College football can't thrive with 40 elite teams beating up on each other.

I am really enjoying reading about Nebraska's lost decade of revenue. Go back to 2010 and read some of the prognostications about how the world would look 5-10 years down the road. Well here we are and ISU is pulling in more revenue than PAC XII and ACC heavyweights (not to mention the mighty Huskers). All ISU can do is keep controlling what they can control. Hire good administrators and get the best football coach we can. Keep a seat at the table. The rest will take care of itself.
The OU article then uses Wall Street Journal most valuable College programs to create a list of who would be included but cuts the list conveniently at top 27. Not 40 or so as the Amazon Executive suggested would happen... Why? Oklahoma State was #28 KSU, #30, Tech top 40 oh and Iowa State #41 (and rising). That didn't fit the OU narrative so they capped it at 27... plus ignores value of basketball program and ISU's is arguably second most valuable after KU. We would have a legit chance of being among 40 programs that got a deal should that article turn out to be prophetic as would most of the big 12.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
I found it interesting that many of the comments on the OU article that were showing possible scenarios all included KU. No one in their right mind would consider KU even sniffing the top 100 in a "football" conference realignment worthy of earning big dollars.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Here’s an easy scenario that took me 10 minutes. All of these schools own by Amazon on one streaming app? $$$$$. Half the damn country watches these 65 schools

Pacific
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
UCLA
USC

Plains
Nebraska
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Missouri
Colorado
Iowa State

Southwest
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah

Southeast
LSU
Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Arkansas
Tennessee
Vandy

Atlantic
Florida
Florida State
Miami
Georgia
Georgia Tech
South Carolina
Clemson

Coastal
North Carolina
Duke
NC State
Wake Forest
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Maryland

Northeast
Penn State
Pitt
Syracuse
Boston College
West Virginia
Rutgers
Louisville
Kentucky

Midwest
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue
Ohio State
Michigan State
Michigan

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The streaming companies need to start investing in sports broadcasting now if they are serious about getting into college football. There is a lot of work on the production side that I’m not sure they have any experience with. That means they need to start hiring sports production people much like they’ve hired many people from Hollywood for their hit shows.

The writer of the OU article is funny. So, an Amazon rep told you they’d prefer to just bid on the top 30-40 teams? Wow, I’m sure ESPN never thought of that.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: TykeClone

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Interesting article. Some of the content goes against the current trend of schools trying to play cupcakes to maintain a good record to be eligible for the playoff. For the (top 40) plan to come together it has to include a path for those programs to reach the playoff and have losses. I also don't think that the current broadcast partners are just going to sit and watch their sports content disappear.

I think it would include a structure where the teams left would be in smaller divisions and the post-season would more resemble the NFL. Regular season, you play all of the teams in your division plus each division would have a rotating other division the played. "Natural" rivals (i.e USC vs. Notre Dame) would be gone. There may or may not be a "preseason" which allowed teams to play teams from outside the "Power 40" or what ever it may be.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
They start catching up pretty quick at $10M surplus each year though...
Is actually going to be about $20 million by next year as B10 tv deal projects payouts of approximately $60 million per school.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I found it interesting that many of the comments on the OU article that were showing possible scenarios all included KU. No one in their right mind would consider KU even sniffing the top 100 in a "football" conference realignment worthy of earning big dollars.
Flagship school with good recognition in a Top 35 market.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Here’s an easy scenario that took me 10 minutes. All of these schools own by Amazon on one streaming app? $$$$$. Half the damn country watches these 65 schools

Pacific
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
UCLA
USC

Plains
Nebraska
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Missouri
Colorado
Iowa State

Southwest
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah

Southeast
LSU
Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Arkansas
Tennessee
Vandy

Atlantic
Florida
Florida State
Miami
Georgia
Georgia Tech
South Carolina
Clemson

Coastal
North Carolina
Duke
NC State
Wake Forest
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Maryland

Northeast
Penn State
Pitt
Syracuse
Boston College
West Virginia
Rutgers
Louisville
Kentucky

Midwest
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue
Ohio State
Michigan State
Michigan

Agree with this 100%. Just a matter of where the line is drawn and if schools are paid individually based on value or whether there is revenue sharing.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Is actually going to be about $20 million by next year as B10 tv deal projects payouts of approximately $60 million per school.
But that will also likely take a bit of a hit in the not to distant future when Rutgers' and Maryland's transitions end. Rutgers started with a paltry estimated $10M in their first year and while it likely ramped up from there, there will be a huge jump when they get full shares which will have to come from the shares of all of the other league members.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
But that will also likely take a bit of a hit in the not to distant future when Rutgers' and Maryland's transitions end. Rutgers started with a paltry estimated $10M in their first year and while it likely ramped up from there, there will be a huge jump when they get full shares which will have to come from the shares of all of the other league members.
No doubt. But the gap has widened to the point Nebraska will be better off, even in consideration of the relatively "paltry" years very soon. Which is the point I was responding to. Additionally, they landed in a more stable conference that revenue shares equally and does not include Texas, which was their beef with the B12.