How would this affect fandom in the state?

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
Within the next 15-20 years, Iowa will become (even more so than it already is) the classic state school that has "T-shirt fans" as the majority of their fan base.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Winning football games changes everything.

Yeah, pretty much sums it up. You can talk demographics until the world ends, but winning games in FB and MBB will do more than anything to improve the fan base. BTW, I personally think ISU is in great shape and moving in the right direction to get a lot of new fans in the next 5 years.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I agree that population is the least impactful of all the things that have been mentioned. Where I am ASU is in a behemoth metro and u of a in a much smaller one but that does not mean that ASU has more fans.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
The geographical similarity between CR/IC and Ames/DSM is striking, with Ankeny playing the part of Coralville. The "corridors" are filling in, albeit CR/IC is further along.

However, with Collins drifting away and HQ heading to Florida, this could ding CR quite a bit over time. Not sure that will impact the fan ratios much, but it will hit the economy here.

It will be interesting to see where the recent interest in hemp oil/medical marijuana goes. With CR's manufacturing and transportation base, that could end up being a strong export industry over the next decade or two.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Evidently, you haven't been to Ankeny lately. The boom in apartment housing, and in particular, low income , assisted apartments have brought in quite a bit of diversity. Work out daily at the Y or visit K&G, or Quik Trip on 1st St, you will change your mind.
I live in Ankeny. I definitely don’t see it.

D

Deleted member 8507

Davenport bleeds population to surrounding communities (Bettendorf, Eldridge, northern and western Scott County). The school system is meh compared to Bettendorf, Pleasant Valley, and North Scott, and outside of several nice neighborhoods it's trashy and crime-ridden for a city of its size.
The one thing Davenport has going for it is that it is in Iowa and not Illinois. I follow Illinois politics and finances for a laugh. I have had offers but would never consider moving to Illinois at this time. I saw and article that the Illinois QC lost 6,500 people last 5 years which happens to be approx. number that Iowa QC gained.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Davenport has the Moline airport going for it as well. It drives me nuts that I can often fly cheaper out of Moline than Cedar Rapids.

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Davenport is showing the same 'very' slow growth I independently prepared two years ago.

PS - that is part of my job.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I legitimately think over the next decade or two Iowa State overtakes the Des Moines metro area as the preferred University/sports team. I also think we take over pretty much the entire state besides the SE quadrant that would include CR, IC, Dubuque, and the Quad Cities.

The alumni base is growing rapidly with these large classes and many of the alumni are staying in Iowa.
First part....overtake in DSM metro area? It is impossible to know for sure but pretty sute we have if we are actually talking active fans. It is even at worst in western suburbs, heavy ISU in Northern suburbs, even in eastern suburbs and DSM proper oy place I would say ears Iowa now is southern suburb of Norwalk. Now only way I see Iowa having more is in surveys were non fans are forced to pick one or other. Iowa still gets some brand default there. Second part is more of a stretch.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Davenport bleeds population to surrounding communities (Bettendorf, Eldridge, northern and western Scott County). The school system is meh compared to Bettendorf, Pleasant Valley, and North Scott, and outside of several nice neighborhoods it's trashy and crime-ridden for a city of its size.

I hate too admit it, but this feels true. I grew up in Davenport and whenever I come back, it has a very different vibe now. My friends that I grew up with, that stayed in the QC have all moved to the towns you mentioned in your post.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I hate too admit it, but this feels true. I grew up in Davenport and whenever I come back, it has a very different vibe now. My friends that I grew up with, that stayed in the QC have all moved to the towns you mentioned in your post.

I grew up and spent most of my life in Davenport until I moved to Michigan in 2011. Every time I come back to the QC to visit family and friends Davenport just looks more and more run down. Same with most of my friends - most of them left Davenport for the surrounding area, and the one that I can think of that stayed bought in a newer subdivision out near I-80. My parents and my sister both bought houses in new subdivisions in Bettendorf.

I'm not saying Davenport is a dying city, but it's not the Davenport I knew 30 years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: harimad