Best Cyclone Game Dunker

Gomer80

May 17, 2011
Nevada, Iowa
Since it's the off-season, I would like to see everyone's opinion on the best overall Dunker in a game situation. We all know the "BIG" individual dunks, but I want to know your thoughts on this. In my opinion, Ejim is/was the best. He had the power and the frequency of power. Thoughts?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
My knowledge of ISU b-ball doesn’t run that deep past when I was in school but Deonte would be up there if he didn’t clang so many off the rim.

It has to be Ejim over the course of my fandom. Lob city.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
And anyone that doesn't say Jeff Grayer doesn't know jack.

I guess it depends on what the OP considers “best.”

If you’re talking just someone that is great with an aggressive two hand slam, sure, Grayer or even Ejim. But when I think of “best dunker” I think of someone that’s more flashy. A Vince Carter as opposed to a Shaq.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
My knowledge of ISU b-ball doesn’t run that deep past when I was in school but Deonte would be up there if he didn’t clang so many off the rim.

It has to be Ejim over the course of my fandom. Lob city.

I would say Ejim gets the overall...from consistent, often, and game changing. I remember some of his reverse oops, etc. I also remember hearing recently that they didn't have any set plays for Ejim, he just cleaned up.

Burton certainly had his moments, but I'm taking into account dunks that also were meaningful and game changing (sorry Rashon...LOVED his dunks, but they were about all that was good during that time).

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
Not to rag on Melvin, but he also got rejected by the rim multiple times during his career. The below people put down some nasty dunks at one point or another:

Royce White
Will Blaylock
Deonte Burton
Rashon Clark
Kelvin Cato
Marcus Fizer
Mike Taylor
Abdel Nader
Barry Stevens
Lindell Wigginton
Shane Power

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I'd say it was an easy choice until Burton came along.

I think Burton’s reputation before ISU set him up as being a phenomenal dunker, but I don’t think he lived up to that reputation here, in-game. Don’t get me wrong, he had some nasty dunks, especially in the Big 12 tournament, but I feel like there were a lot more times where I thought “why didn’t he throw that down like he should have?” He also had a lot of would be bad ass dunks get rejected by the back of the rim.

• Agree
Reactions: CyJeans

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
What about:

Nader - he brought the "uuugggghhhh", had the "Finger of God" dunk vs OSU, and more than a few other impressive slams

Royce - "I'm the best player" - some "unstoppable force of nature" dunks

Both those guys could take a guy off the dribble and go right thru them and crush the rim. So in a game situation, impressive momentum changers.

McKay - not impressive dunks, but a LOT of them on the back end lobs. Should be on the list just on volume.

Reactions: carvers4math

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Not to rag on Melvin, but he also got rejected by the rim multiple times during his career. The below people put down some nasty dunks at one point or another:

Royce White
Will Blaylock
Deonte Burton
Rashon Clark
Kelvin Cato
Marcus Fizer
Mike Taylor
Abdel Nader
Barry Stevens
Lindell Wigginton
Shane Power

I would put Fred on this list based on him posterizing Acie Earl.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron