WBB: Kennedy-Hopoate transferring out

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Too bad we didn't also get her teammate from Hutchinson JC, Tiana Mangakahia. Averaged almost 10 assists a game at Syracuse this year.

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
IMO, I do not think there is any doubt that she can coach at a P5 level. I have watched Drake basketball many times and they are VERY well coached. They play an entertaining style of basketball with lots of ball movement rather than dribble dribble dribble. EVERY player is involved in their offense. Every player. No one is standing and watching. They are not UConn by any means But, the movement in their offense and having every player involved reminds me very much of UConn in many respects. And, yes, it does appear that her players love playing for her. IMO, she is already a successful coach and I have no doubt whatsoever that she will be equally successful at the P5 level if she is given that opportunity. JMHO.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and gizzsdad

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
IMO, I do not think there is any doubt that she can coach at a P5 level. I have watched Drake basketball many times and they are VERY well coached. They play an entertaining style of basketball with lots of ball movement rather than dribble dribble dribble. EVERY player is involved in their offense. Every player. No one is standing and watching. They are not UConn by any means But, the movement in their offense and having every player involved reminds me very much of UConn in many respects. And, yes, it does appear that her players love playing for her. IMO, she is already a successful coach and I have no doubt whatsoever that she will be equally successful at the P5 level if she is given that opportunity. JMHO.

I agree with what you are saying about how Drake plays - the challenge is can you continue to execute those things against the type of pressure defense and athleticism that teams like UT, Baylor, WVU etc play. That is IMO the biggest challenge of coaching at the P5 level, what do you do when the opponent can take away what you primarily want to do. No one can typically answer that until you see how they respond to the grind of a P5 Schedule.

Reactions: acoustimac

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
That's a very good point. And, it is certainly true. Again, Drake is certainly not UConn. But, I see many of the same tendencies with Drake that I do with UConn and UConn doesn't seem to have much problem with that kind of pressure. Personnel, personnel, personnel. JMHO, again.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
You can support Fennelly without dissing other coaches. It's not exactly like Fennelly came to ISU after a big start at some other P5 school. We didn't hire him away from Notre Dame or something.
Fen is a part of the Notre Dame legacy and did quite well at Toledo. (http://utrockets.com/mobile/hof.aspx?hof=69)
The Drake coach just needs to take the next step and win in the dance.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron