Ames Rental Cap and Parking

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It isn't like this is a big secret, but it's still a little alarming to see it in print:

http://www.amestrib.com/news/201805...ordinance-places-limit-on-seven-neighborhoods
"Councilwoman Gloria Betcher, who lives in SCAN, said she prioritizes the input from homeowners who live in the neighborhood opposed to people who move in and out of the neighborhood and rental-property owners."

For reference, Ames Ward 1 (Betcher's ward) stretches from Towers to the stadium, all of S. 3rd, S. 4th, S. 5th, S. 16th, S. Duff, and basically everything from Grand east to the city limits.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
It isn't like this is a big secret, but it's still a little alarming to see it in print:

http://www.amestrib.com/news/201805...ordinance-places-limit-on-seven-neighborhoods
"Councilwoman Gloria Betcher, who lives in SCAN, said she prioritizes the input from homeowners who live in the neighborhood opposed to people who move in and out of the neighborhood and rental-property owners."

For reference, Ames Ward 1 (Betcher's ward) stretches from Towers to the stadium, all of S. 3rd, S. 4th, S. 5th, S. 16th, S. Duff, and basically everything from Grand east to the city limits.

I think Gloria is mis-quoted, she ignores not prioritizes input from anyone that isn't in her little circle. I've tried to talk with her twice and exchanged emails. Her email response clearly showed she didn't care about getting input from anyone other than Barbara and Fern.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Ha, I see the stupid Ames activists are still at the "good" fight. They started the crap with the number of unrelated people living together back when I was in school. This is not only impossible to administer it will only make the problem worse by scattering the rentals around town. And make rents continue to go higher. Man I so wish we had bought that rental house on Beach when I had the chance.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
One interesting item is Mayor Haila isn't talking about this or any issues really. He was supposed to give Ames an alternative to the Progressive Alliance. Instead, Ames is taking more and more stances against businesses and students. It is becoming more impossible to deal with the City of Ames. The Chamber of Commerce may want to start publishing how many businesses are leaving Ames; despite the Research Park push.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
Ha, I see the stupid Ames activists are still at the "good" fight. They started the crap with the number of unrelated people living together back when I was in school. This is not only impossible to administer it will only make the problem worse by scattering the rentals around town. And make rents continue to go higher. Man I so wish we had bought that rental house on Beach when I had the chance.

My landlord wasn't for the cap because he was going to sell when I moved out. Now he said, he thinks he will keep it as long as the SCAN people are alive and raise rent because the cap creates a limited supply of houses. He has always rented the house out at the lower end of the market basically to not lose money. Now he sees an opportunity to make more money to offset any potential decline in property evaluation.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I love all these do-gooders who think they know and should control every aspect of whatever town in which they live. Most of them can't balance a check book let alone run a Dairy Queen. But don't you dare let that grass grow more than 8 inches.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Man looking at a couple of the houses that I lived in as rentals and wow, those landlords have done well. Values are probably at least double or more.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
I hate to complain
but

I was up in Ames a week ago at the Stomping Grounds. Sat outside right by my car. Watched a parking enforcement truck park way down the street and just sit in his vehicle waiting for meters to expire. He was watching my car and sure enough when my meter was turning red, the guy walked out of his little truck with the ticket in his hand. I got up, walked 10 steps to my car and put a quarter right before it turned and time ran out.

I was joking with him and he was cool but still really rubbed me the wrong way.

Side note - I was told The Stomping Grounds can't have live acoustic music on the patio anymore because of neighborhood complaints. That's crazy if true!! What next, no outdoor seating.

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin

They actually just scrapped this law... The new cap is based upon the number of bedrooms a place has. 5 bedrooms = 5 tenants allowed basically (I think there are a few other stipulations, but overall many houses are now allowed to have more occupants).

One interesting item is Mayor Haila isn't talking about this or any issues really. He was supposed to give Ames an alternative to the Progressive Alliance. Instead, Ames is taking more and more stances against businesses and students. It is becoming more impossible to deal with the City of Ames. The Chamber of Commerce may want to start publishing how many businesses are leaving Ames; despite the Research Park push.

While I disagree with many actions of the current city council, this seems like complaining just to complain. What companies are you speaking of?

I do not envy city council members or most of the city staff.... It seems like half of the populace would be unhappy no matter what they do. See: city council meeting a month or so ago where parks and rec could not move forward with bike path lights that they had been working on in Brookside park because one citizen was concerned that they could potentially disturb owls.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA

Ames employment and business activity/GDP continues to grow. Not sure what you are talking about as I can't think of any major employers that have left the area recently. I can understand your stance against the cap, but the city has been moving forward on that issue for sometime now. Since the old policy was overturned by the state and well before Haila took office. I don't really like the cap, although the idea of some of these low density neighborhoods becoming nearly 100% rental is justifiably concerning I think (especially for long-time residents of the area). I know many other cities similar to Ames have enacted similar policies. With the number of rentals likely remaining unchanged in these neighborhoods and ISU enrollment leveling off I don't see it impacting rental prices much in the near term.

Last edited:

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
Ames employment and business activity/GDP continues to grow. Not sure what you are talking about as I can't think of any major employers that have left the area recently. I can understand your stance against the cap, but the city has been moving forward on that issue for sometime now. Since the old policy was overturned by the state and well before Haila took office. I don't really like the cap, although the idea of some of these low density neighborhoods becoming nearly 100% rental is justifiably concerning I think (especially for long-time residents of the area). I know many other cities similar to Ames have enacted similar policies. With the number of rentals likely remaining unchanged in these neighborhoods and ISU enrollment leveling off I don't see it impacting rental prices much in the near term.

My comment is based on having dealings with the City on permits and discussions with business owners regarding expansion in Ames. The business owners are not interested in expanding in Ames and many have expressed it is too hard to deal with the City. Couple that with the thoughts that their employees have a hard time finding housing in Ames. The cap is just the latest in a series of decisions the City Council has done to perpetuate the issues.

Not every recent graduate can afford to purchase a house nor will they want to immediately. This recent action affects the entire inventory of rentals in Ames. While this was pointed at students, this action lowers the number of units available for those who don't want to live with undergrads in the new apartments -- married students, grad students, recent grads, temporary staff/professors, etc. Now they are competing with undergrads for housing in other parts of the Ames. The only winners are the rental owners, who can charge more.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron