Appliances around the DSM Metro

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
We are replacing our kitchen appliances. Will be a gas stove, side by side refrigerator and dish washer. Besides the big box stores, are there any good local places that have a good selection? We'd love to be able to buy local and support local but also going to go the route of best service/bang for the buck route, if the ends up being a big box store or even online so be it.

Any recommendations for where to buy appliances? Most likely looking at the whirlpool family and Frigidaire family as those are the brands we've had the best luck with. LG and Samsung probably won't happen as we've had bad luck with them but for the right price, could be persuaded.

Also, does anyone really care if the appliance are brand matching?

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
I needed a new washer last month and could not find a store that I could go to and pick up. Everything had to be ordered so plan ahead

Reactions: jdcyclone19

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
There will be a bunch of sales going on for Memorial Day. Try NFM in Clive. Also, you can find some decent deals at appliances direct.

Edit: Menards also has their 11% rebate going on right now. We have around 125 bucks coming from a washer and dryer last weekend. It’s adds up quick on appliances.

Last edited:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Not real local but we had a good experience at The Appliance Barn in Kalona. They must do a lot of business in the Des Moines area because they said that once we week they head to Des Moines to do installs. We went there because we were looking for a specific brand but I really liked the salespeople we dealt with. i don't know if it's still in business but Factory Direct in Urbandale also had a nice selection.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
They're hard to find and I don't live in Iowa, but the last two appliance purchases I've had were with small retailers. The prices were just as good as big box stores and they were easy to work with. Knowledgeable as well. I'm done buying from big box stores or online to try and save $100. It's been a hassle too many times.

Matching appliance brands? I couldn't care less.

Good luck with your purchase.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
We spent a fair amount on a nice GE slide in gas range with convection electric. Wife new someone that worked at Factory Direct and gave us his lowest possible price and then we went to NFM and their floor sticker was less than that.

For brands matching I think that’s not such a big deal anymore. I was adamant about a Bosch dishwasher 6 years ago when we bought the house and it’s still quietly kicking ass.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Matching appliance brands? I couldn't care less.

I’d match for the simple fact that all colors are not the same. There is a wide variance in the look and color of the “same” finishes, especially stainless. It also can look a little goofy with different handles on everything.

The only exception to this is maybe the dishwasher.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
I've gone with Metro Appliance in Des Moines because it can be absurdly cheap. Admittedly it might not be for everybody. But they pay bottom dollar for shipments that have been damaged en route and oftentimes there are many from the batch that are still in perfect condition. If you time it right, you're able to get things half off what they'd be at a big box retailer as well as in the same condition. I'm willing to poke around for a while to find a huge deal.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
We spent a fair amount on a nice GE slide in gas range with convection electric. Wife new someone that worked at Factory Direct and gave us his lowest possible price and then we went to NFM and their floor sticker was less than that.

For brands matching I think that’s not such a big deal anymore. I was adamant about a Bosch dishwasher 6 years ago when we bought the house and it’s still quietly kicking ass.

I've been in Factory Direct and that place is a sham!

• Informative
Reactions: jdcyclone19

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Matching appliances? Hell I am lucky if I have matching socks.

Care even less if my fridge and stove match, just want them to work.

• Agree
Reactions: urb1

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
This is actually one place we were highly considering going and checking out.

I emailed them the model number of the washing machine I wanted and they quoted me via email. Just took the quote in and showed it to them and they ordered it for me. They are very good about responding to you via email if you want to do some pre-work before visiting in person.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Nebraska Furniture Mart has been a sponsor/supporter of Cyclone Fanatic as well.
Oh. If that's the case, anyone who doesn't buy their appliances there is basically a communists and probably an *******.

Do we a CF discount?