TSA finds another gun at DSM Airport

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Flying commercial is about the only place you can be relatively gun free in the United States. That and a handful of fed building and Congress themselves because Congress likes to be safe with all of their armed guards and security checkpoints and metal detectors. :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It blows me away that people not only tried to carry-on loaded hand guns, but some of them even had a round chambered.

The whole chambered rounds thing plus all of the little conceal handguns without traditional safeties goes a long way to explaining all of the accidental shootings you read about. Everything from adults shooting themselves to kids and toddlers doing it. I grew up in an era where everything had either a mechanical safety or a hammer.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
People are freaking dumb and should have their right to carry taken away. You damn well knew it was there and were just trying to either A. Stick it to the man if you got it through or B. Too lazy, cheap, etc to travel with it properly. That being said TSA provides a needed security measure but there is an element of it that is security theater. At the same time the practices are fairly standard in developed countries

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Had my electric toothbrush fire up inside my luggage at the baggage counter once. Got my **** rifled through real good for that flight.

Nine times out of ten it's an electric razor. But... every once in a while... it's a *****.
Of course, it's company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a *****. We have to use the indefinite article, "a *****", never ... your *****.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Care to buy 20 8x8 boxes of knives, box cutters and multi tools from the Pennsylvania TSA?

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=8471&acctid=3553

3553_8471_1.jpg

Reactions: ianoconnor

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Is this where I say "shall not be infringed?" I feel like I should say "shall not be infringed." What if a well regulated militia is needed to keep an overzealous air marshal in check between DSM and ORD?

Reactions: The_Architect

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Can we get an airline that encourages carrying and skip the TSA lines? That would be fun and get my money.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Can we get an airline that encourages carrying and skip the TSA lines? That would be fun and get my money.

You bet your ass you can! It is called becoming a pilot and flying yourself 99.9% of places there is no security and never any lines to get on the plane!

Reactions: cyfanatic

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Last time that happened?

It doesn't happen because people don't carry on a plane to state the obvious.

It won't happen like it does in the movies, I am aware, but the bullet can hit wiring or fuel which can definitely take a plane down.

If the bullet hits a window there are some pretty serious issues there as well.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
No Excuse. However, I did accidently bring an AR15 and a Glock 26 onto Air Force academy base two years ago. MP ask if I had any guns or drugs and since it was Colorado he specifically said "and that includes Marijuana. I said nope. Then drove to the chapel. Bought a new shirt for my kids, went to put it in the trunk and though crap. I have all of the above in this trunk right now. However, when flying I actually check my bags before I leave to make sure I have taken out any guns I might have.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It doesn't happen because people don't carry on a plane to state the obvious.

It won't happen like it does in the movies, I am aware, but the bullet can hit wiring or fuel which can definitely take a plane down.

If the bullet hits a window there are some pretty serious issues there as well.

I’m not really arguing for allowing loaded weapons on a plane, but when the topic of safety comes up, I think the scenarios in favor (of safety) get a bit outlandish.