Texas zeroing in on Neill Berry

ISUser

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2009
Topeka, KS
Berry was Wigginton's lead recruiter. A lot of players these days are more attached to assistant coaches than the head coach. I wonder if him leaving the staff would influence his decision to stay in the NBA or not?

• Dislike
Reactions: bawbie

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Berry is an up and comer as a young recruiter and is likely to move on at some point soon (if not to Texas now). Much like Otz leaving for Washington, NB is probably looking to make a bigger name form himself to accelerate career. I would rather he went outside of the Big 12 but obviously UT would allow for a lot of access and money on the recruiting trail. Couldn't fault him for making this move.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Isn't Shaka on thin ice there? Hasn't done anything with the talent he's brought in.

Would think staying at ISU would be more stable and be a quicker path to a head coaching job.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Berry was Wigginton's lead recruiter. A lot of players these days are more attached to assistant coaches than the head coach. I wonder if him leaving the staff would influence his decision to stay in the NBA or not?

True, but Prohm was very hands on in Lindell's recruitment as a Head Coach could be. Plus they seem to have a close relationship. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions on the NBA front with LW if Berry leaves.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

Doubtful. He's already at ISU. HC usually has a bigger impact.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Berry is an up and comer as a young recruiter and is likely to move on at some point soon (if not to Texas now). Much like Otz leaving for Washington, NB is probably looking to make a bigger name form himself to accelerate career. I would rather he went outside of the Big 12 but obviously UT would allow for a lot of access and money on the recruiting trail. Couldn't fault him for making this move.

Yeah, the big thing for assistant coaches is building that resume. You could be successful for a long time at one school, but then your next job might not know if it's you, or the school you were at.

Having success at multiple schools is key to getting a better job and possibly a head job if that's what you want.

Prohm will find another good guy if Neill leaves.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
I'm doing some digging on this. Had started hearing rumblings late last week but wasn't sure what the timeline was or anything. I'll report back if I hear more.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

I think his draft decision hinges on getting into the first round, a guaranteed contract, and a chance to play on that team.

If everything he's hearing says he needs another year, then he'll be back at ISU. Assistant coach shouldn't change that.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
If he goes, it's hard to fault him. He played for Prohm, but it's a natural progression for coaches to go to a bigger-named program to work your way up through the ranks. I'd rather see him move out of conference, but I'll wish him well wherever he goes.

Maybe we can replace him with Jeff Prohm.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Bad move but I get it. Shaka is on thin ice. The good thing is Prohm is way more involved in recruiting than Hoiberg. Also, I am pretty sure we can get another guy to replace him these days that may be in contact with some other recruits that are solid.

Reactions: cyfan21