A good run of bad luck

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
This happen to me as well, but my story goes a little differently. My apartment does not have any off street parking which can be problematic in the winter. I parked my car in an area where I thought I was safe and my wife and I leave a couple of days to go to her family for Christmas. We come back home, but noticed my car wasn't anywhere to be found.

We find out my car car was rear-ended and towed away to somewhere else in town. It was a hit-and-run and the police were unable to figure out who hit my car meaning I had to pay the deductible. I take my car to get fix and the dealership offers me a loaner to drive while they fix my car. Before I leave with my loaner car, they warn me that any damage that happens to the loaner will be on my insurance, and I figured that sounded agreeable.

That night I park my loaner on the opposite side of the street where my own car was hit, because in my estimation that was by far the safer side. Well anyway that night, a snowstorm happens and somebody hits the front end of my my loaner car. This person was an uninsured driver, and I have to pay the deductible yet again. So in matter of a couple of days I had to pay my deductible twice for a car that simply parked.

Very similar story here. About a year after graduating college, my beater (99 Mercury Mystique) was about on it's last leg, so I took my bonus & got a couple year old Impala.

About a month & a half later, took it to my hometown (Council Bluffs) to visit family for Thanksgiving. We get up at like 4 am to go Black Friday shopping, and notice my car is gone - thought it must have gotten stolen. Called the police, & when they got there they said they found it in the middle of the road, back end smashed up. Registered address was out of town, so they just towed it.

So here I am out of town on a holiday weekend. Didn't have rental coverage so had to pay out of pocket for that to get home. Car was totaled, but the insurance payout was a couple thousand light. I didn't need Gap coverage cause I knew it all. So then I had to get another loan for a much crappier car with basically $0 down, and pay 2 car payments for a few months.

Credit card took a beating for a few months there. Luckily after being on CF for awhile, I'm now out of CC debt & own my current vehicle outright.

wcamnclone

Oct 24, 2008
Fargo, ND
I wouldn't say this is a run of bad luck, but definitely my top story of my worst luck.

4 years ago we were going on a cruise with my wife's family, and the day before we were supposed to fly out my son, who was 11 months old at the time, got some sort of stomach bug and was having some nasty diapers. Well, we weren't going to let this stop us from going on our first vacation as a family.

We get up the next morning and getting ready to go to the airport, we have a blowout and a great start to our morning. As we are going through security at the Fargo airport we here a gurgle from his stomach and the subsequent filling of the diaper. Luckily everything stayed in the diaper though for this.

Skip ahead a couple hours and we are on our flight from Fargo to O'hare and we are in the air for maybe 30 minutes and the flight attendant is just coming through the cabin with the drinks. We hear the same gurgle as my son is sitting on my lap. My wife takes the blanket that was covering us and immediately starts laughing. Massive blowout all over my lap. Our flight attendant was luckily amazing and did a ton as far as getting garbage bags, wet paper towels, etc. However, I was wearing jeans and its not the easiest to exactly get out of. So for the next hour and 15 minutes of the flight, I'm gagging as I have the smell of sick diarrhea in my lap.

So the one lucky thing about this is that we didn't have a layover in O'hare, as my in-laws who live in the Chicago suburbs were picking us up, and we would be flying Southwest out of Midway to fly down to Ft. Lauderdale. But with that, I get to walk from F12 in O'hare to baggage claim with sh*t covering my jeans from my knees to my waist.

I immediately take my luggage off the luggage carousel, open it up in front of everyone and grab a pair of shorts and sprint to the bathroom to change.

By far my most embarrassing moment of my life.

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I wouldn't say this is a run of bad luck, but definitely my top story of my worst luck.

4 years ago we were going on a cruise with my wife's family, and the day before we were supposed to fly out my son, who was 11 months old at the time, got some sort of stomach bug and was having some nasty diapers. Well, we weren't going to let this stop us from going on our first vacation as a family.

We get up the next morning and getting ready to go to the airport, we have a blowout and a great start to our morning. As we are going through security at the Fargo airport we here a gurgle from his stomach and the subsequent filling of the diaper. Luckily everything stayed in the diaper though for this.

Skip ahead a couple hours and we are on our flight from Fargo to O'hare and we are in the air for maybe 30 minutes and the flight attendant is just coming through the cabin with the drinks. We hear the same gurgle as my son is sitting on my lap. My wife takes the blanket that was covering us and immediately starts laughing. Massive blowout all over my lap. Our flight attendant was luckily amazing and did a ton as far as getting garbage bags, wet paper towels, etc. However, I was wearing jeans and its not the easiest to exactly get out of. So for the next hour and 15 minutes of the flight, I'm gagging as I have the smell of sick diarrhea in my lap.

So the one lucky thing about this is that we didn't have a layover in O'hare, as my in-laws who live in the Chicago suburbs were picking us up, and we would be flying Southwest out of Midway to fly down to Ft. Lauderdale. But with that, I get to walk from F12 in O'hare to baggage claim with sh*t covering my jeans from my knees to my waist.

I immediately take my luggage off the luggage carousel, open it up in front of everyone and grab a pair of shorts and sprint to the bathroom to change.

By far my most embarrassing moment of my life.

The dreaded Rumble Tum, harbinger of Parental Woe...

We had something similar, except we were getting ready to leave my parents house and drive home. 12+ hour drive. In a moment of brilliance, I advocated for stopping and getting some of those absorbent pads for folks who are incontinent to put down between him and the carseat. Saved our bacon.

Had a similar outcome in a plane. I only had a few drops on my pants, but a little bit goes a long way.

We also learned that it's easiest to get through security holding a baby with a blowout at arms length. TSA couldn't get us through fast enough. Gives new meaning to the term "dirty bomb".

• Funny

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Five unexpected deaths in 13 months. Suicide, brain aneurysm, drowning (truck overturned in creek), Reyes syndrome (11 month old nephew) and hunting accident. Plus neighbor lost 3 fingers in a combine accident.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Five unexpected deaths in 13 months. Suicide, brain aneurysm, drowning (truck overturned in creek), Reyes syndrome (11 month old nephew) and hunting accident. Plus neighbor lost 3 fingers in a combine accident.
And cycloner29 wins the thread.

In all seriousness, though, had a summer like that in 1987: Drowning, suicide, cycle accident. Then two more the next summer. It really does a number on you. I'm still emotionally scarred from it.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
3 deer hits in 18 months while living in northern Wi. and working 3rd shift. One front end, one right side swipe, and a left front fender. Needless to say I think there are too many deer.
And not enough vehicle?

• Agree
Reactions: OBE4ISU

clonedmax

Apr 19, 2006
Earlham, IA
3 deer hits in 18 months while living in northern Wi. and working 3rd shift. One front end, one right side swipe, and a left front fender. Needless to say I think there are too many deer.

I have a similar sort of story. I'm in my mid forties, I've hit three pheasants in my lifetime with a vehicle. All three occurred within the same month when I was in my late twenties.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Bad car luck?

I had a car I bought in 2004 for about ten years when the truck in front of me didn't use his turn signal before a quick right turn and I couldn't stop in time. He had a small scratch on his bumper, my sedan was totaled.

I ended up getting a new 2014 vehicle that I still really like. Shortly after I bought it we took the kids on a road trip. Middle son will never drink chocolate milk in the car again because he puked it all over the inside of the new car. Unfortunately he tried to cover his mouth, making the vomit spray to each side as well.
It was maybe 10 degrees out and I had to scrape and squeegee vomit out of the back of my new car in a Casey's parking lot. It smelled so rancid, my oldest would rather freeze outside than be in the car. He didn't have any extra clothes either because we were going to Grandpas house in CR just for the day. He ended up wearing an old shirt from a rag bag the rest of Thanksgiving.
I cleaned it multiple times and even had the dealership try to detail it and clean it, it still smelled until summer.

Maybe a month after that, I hit a deer with the same car. Decent amount of damage but it took forever to get it in to fix it. Bumper, quarter panel and headlight all needed fixed.

L

LincolnWay187

Bad car luck?

I had a car I bought in 2004 for about ten years when the truck in front of me didn't use his turn signal before a quick right turn and I couldn't stop in time. He had a small scratch on his bumper, my sedan was totaled.

I ended up getting a new 2014 vehicle that I still really like. Shortly after I bought it we took the kids on a road trip. Middle son will never drink chocolate milk in the car again because he puked it all over the inside of the new car. Unfortunately he tried to cover his mouth, making the vomit spray to each side as well.
It was maybe 10 degrees out and I had to scrape and squeegee vomit out of the back of my new car in a Casey's parking lot. It smelled so rancid, my oldest would rather freeze outside than be in the car. He didn't have any extra clothes either because we were going to Grandpas house in CR just for the day. He ended up wearing an old shirt from a rag bag the rest of Thanksgiving.
I cleaned it multiple times and even had the dealership try to detail it and clean it, it still smelled until summer.

Maybe a month after that, I hit a deer with the same car. Decent amount of damage but it took forever to get it in to fix it. Bumper, quarter panel and headlight all needed fixed.
I onced DD'ed for a friend...I could tell he was gonna barf and started rolling down the windows. As he got his head halfway out the window..half the barf went out the window and the rest got into the car including a bunch down between the crack of the window where is comes out. Yeah that stunk to high hell forever until it finally went away...even after detailing.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I onced DD'ed for a friend...I could tell he was gonna barf and started rolling down the windows. As he got his head halfway out the window..half the barf went out the window and the rest got into the car including a bunch down between the crack of the window where is comes out. Yeah that stunk to high hell forever until it finally went away...even after detailing.

That sucks. My car still has some dingy spots on the side he ralphed on. But it doesn't smell like yack anymore.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

Almost had the same thing happen, but it was a buddy's car. Window got down in time, so we lucked out there. Got home and hosed out down.

Next day at work was not fun for that guy.

Ahhhh, college internship days.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
In the space of 6 months my wife fractured her foot right before vacation. I seriously injured myself building a deck, got an infection that put me in the hospital and knocked me out of work for most of the summer. I no more than got back up and around and my wife got a diagnosis of the big C. That one in itself caused about 3 years of really rough going.

If I were smart enough I'd post the appropriate Clint Black video here, too...

• Friendly

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'm 50 and dating again. I could start a whole new thread about this. The good news is that I'm getting more pu55y than a crazy cat lady. But my gawd they're nuts...

Goes with the territory young fella.

Cydaddy

Aug 20, 2012
Eight or nine years ago I had abdominal pains late in the year. Ended up going into the ER on New Year's Eve morning on a Friday. Had my gall bladder out after laying in the hospital all weekend and ended up with two large deductibles.

• Dislike
Reactions: wxman1