Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I had it all stored away at one point and then my boss left and I had her job too. It's never recovered. A lot of mine end up requiring follow up or other info so I let it sit until it's complete and then it gets buried. I don't like filing until it's done or I'll lose it (and yes, I flag important stuff but that gets long too). Lot of times once it was dealt with, I moved on to the next thing and didn't file away the emails. Also, I pretty much don't delete things that aren't random announcements/crap. Been burned too many times on that.
It's my project for this summer before I'm on leave to keep getting the right folders set up (so I can find the **** I file!) and get the inbox mess dealt with. DH has asked me this too - he gets a lot of auto report type stuff that he can quickly check and file. Almost all of mine are things that require a response or something from me. Or I'm waiting for someone else to give me something. I had made good progress last fall and have tried to maintain it at that 8k level. Am trying to set aside 30 minutes a week or so to go back through the week and file/delete anything that's now dealt with.
giphy.gif

Reactions: SaraV

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
**** you NBC15. They decided to show some NFL program last night in The Blacklist's time slot. It's not a big deal that I have to watch it online, but how are you supposed to know about it? Especially if you record it and watch it later. If I would have decided to watch it last night after the game, I would have been extremely pissed.

Last edited:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
What's the reasoning behind keeping all that mail in your inbox? Seems inefficient and cumbersome. Once I read an email, it's either deleted or filed away if it's something I should keep. My Inbox is always empty.
A lot of it has to do with the fact that I get email after email and it becomes a full time job sorting through the junk. I try to do a cleanup once in a while. Now that the company has been sold I will need to really scour through what is in there and archive most of it so I have a pst file to access old stuff.
The current company added some ridiculous security to email, it has to call my work phone and I have to answer to confirm it's me or else. Of course if you're trying to access email from the road it's rather difficult to answer the work phone and I am not transferring my calls when on pto.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I had it all stored away at one point and then my boss left and I had her job too. It's never recovered. A lot of mine end up requiring follow up or other info so I let it sit until it's complete and then it gets buried. I don't like filing until it's done or I'll lose it (and yes, I flag important stuff but that gets long too). Lot of times once it was dealt with, I moved on to the next thing and didn't file away the emails. Also, I pretty much don't delete things that aren't random announcements/crap. Been burned too many times on that.
It's my project for this summer before I'm on leave to keep getting the right folders set up (so I can find the **** I file!) and get the inbox mess dealt with. DH has asked me this too - he gets a lot of auto report type stuff that he can quickly check and file. Almost all of mine are things that require a response or something from me. Or I'm waiting for someone else to give me something. I had made good progress last fall and have tried to maintain it at that 8k level. Am trying to set aside 30 minutes a week or so to go back through the week and file/delete anything that's now dealt with.

My work started a program this year. If the email is in you inbox it is deleted after 90 days. Completely. Archived items after 12yrs I think.

Every Friday I try to go through the most recent (top down) to see if I've missed anything. I try to keep mine under 500... I've started filing items if I have a more recent email that contains the whole thread. There have been times, like after the budget creation period that I schedule in an afternoon to go through to make sure I am not missing anything.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Trailer parks are tornado magnets. It's a scientific fact.
Lincoln, Nebraska used to be considered just the opposite. Back in the '90s many people there had all sorts of outrageous theories why storms would be on track for Lincoln and then mysteriously split, swerve or break up right before hitting Lincoln. Two of my favorites were the giant military runway just west of town that used to be used for bombers with solar heating or something creating a disruptive updraft there that disrupted storms and indian burial grounds.

I believe they have had their share of tornadoes since to totally blow these theories away (pun intended).

Reactions: jcyclonee

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Like I said, burned too many times on that. It's nice having the email stating that yes, yes you did say that you would do X or show that I did y. Some projects I kept everything for potential legal purposes as well.trying now to at least delete older emails of a chain if the most recent one has the full chain in it. That helps clean a lot.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
My work started a program this year. If the email is in you inbox it is deleted after 90 days. Completely. Archived items after 12yrs I think.

Every Friday I try to go through the most recent (top down) to see if I've missed anything. I try to keep mine under 500... I've started filing items if I have a more recent email that contains the whole thread. There have been times, like after the budget creation period that I schedule in an afternoon to go through to make sure I am not missing anything.

90 days? Yikes. Though I think by the time I left the 13th my most recent email was from late March so I was getting it cleared. Two week's worth, lol. Want to do same as you, schedule time to regularly clear and make sure nothing is missed.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
90 days? Yikes. Though I think by the time I left the 13th my most recent email was from late March so I was getting it cleared. Two week's worth, lol. Want to do same as you, schedule time to regularly clear and make sure nothing is missed.

It doesn't always happen. I think had over 1k due to this year's budget planning. It took me several weeks to file and catch up. YIKES

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I also get emails with questions like "remember that thing from 8 months ago? I think it might have happened again"
I'm finally getting people weaned off of assuming I have something (electronic or hard copy) from years ago. I have thrown a lot away and lost some to memory failures, but I still have a lot of purging to do.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I also get emails with questions like "remember that thing from 8 months ago? I think it might have happened again"

Yep! Also, I keep every single IT ticket because it never fails that I'll ha e the exact same issue on a new computer/person with one of our programs requiring admin privileges or something else out of the norm and it'll be all new IT people who don't believe me and have no documentation on how to handle said issue. So I pull up old tickets.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
I was trying to get my inbox reduced before I left. Went from 12k last fall to 7k but it crept back up to 8300 this month. Had it to like 7500 when I left. I'm scared to see it on Monday. Also because I don't want to see all the **** to deal with either. Haven't checked since we took off the 13th. Told myself I needed to not check and force a good practice run on people.

Twitchy eye.

Really. REALLY. Twitchy eye.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
4am is too early to land. And now regretting not taking the shorter connection, but didn't think we should risk it at LAX, no experience flying thru here. Landed 40 minutes early and the walk to our connection was 3 gates. DH is all I told you but whatevs, hard to know how these things will work out.

Going to try and look at baby furniture when we get to Chicago since they have more options and an Ikea. I'll let you know if we settle on a $2500 set :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron