Iowa Football Recruiting

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
CMC says he feels confident in their program and isn't going to make a kid decommit to take a visit somewhere else. It's their biggest decision of their life. There is a reason Kirk's no visit policy is so highly criticized
It was criticized a couple years ago during the Eno....not so much anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: breck53

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
So you're telling me that if a 4-star kid decommits for 4 months and wants to come back later, he's told he can't because another 3-star or other lesser recruit took his spot?

That just sounds like bad/unnecessary business strategy, but alright. That's why I'm not a recruiter.

Frankly, in that scenario I wouldnt be surprised if they would not allow the lower ranked kid to commit until the higher ranked kid has made his decision again.

Recruiting is fairly fluid.

Either that or some kids are takes no matter what the numbers are at their position group. They would take the 3 star and then if the 4 star wanted to get back on board later on down the road they would make it work somehow.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
So let me get this straight:

When it comes to players, objective evaluations (stats) are the only thing that matters. Twins doesn’t accept any form of subjective evaluation (such as the eye test).

When it comes to teams, subjective rankings (like the AP eye test) are the only thing that matters. Twins doesn’t accept any form of objective (stat-based) ranking.

Seems like a bit of a logical inconsistency. Unless you’re trolling, of course.

Whereas your method of ranking is much simpler; iowa is simply better than isu at all things and all positions despite any statistical evidence.

CRCy

Sep 13, 2016
Frankly, in that scenario I wouldnt be surprised if they would not allow the lower ranked kid to commit until the higher ranked kid has made his decision again.

Recruiting is fairly fluid.

Either that or some kids are takes no matter what the numbers are at their position group. They would take the 3 star and then if the 4 star wanted to get back on board later on down the road they would make it work somehow.

I don't think that is entirely correct. I am pretty sure Iowa uses the philosophy that one kids isn't going to make or break a class. A lot of schools follow the same strategy. Others don't.

Let's say a school has 10 offers out to players for 4 LBs spots. Once those 4 LB's spots are "taken" they focus on other positions. Sure they might take a 5th LB if things fall right, etc. but it allows them to move on.

Then there is ISU and others that says lets get our foot in the door with an early offer to a lot of guys as if we wait we will lose or shot so they have 25 offers out to players for 4 LB spots. Knowing full well that they have little to no shot on a lot of those offers but again it at least gives them a chance to generate interest on both sides and sometimes you get a kid nobody would have thought you had a chance getting.

Neither is "the right" or "wrong" way to recruit. All schools do it a little differently and both methods can and will work some fans just like to make fun of other teams that recruit a different way.

As the saying goes there are more then one way to skin a cat.

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
CMC says he feels confident in their program and isn't going to make a kid decommit to take a visit somewhere else. It's their biggest decision of their life. There is a reason Kirk's no visit policy is so highly criticized

Kirk doesn’t make kids decommit if they want to visit other schools either.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
I don't think that is entirely correct. I am pretty sure Iowa uses the philosophy that one kids isn't going to make or break a class. A lot of schools follow the same strategy. Others don't.

Let's say a school has 10 offers out to players for 4 LBs spots. Once those 4 LB's spots are "taken" they focus on other positions. Sure they might take a 5th LB if things fall right, etc. but it allows them to move on.

Thats not true, Dallas Craddieth was an extra DB Iowa took last year.

The same can be said for Nick Henrich this cycle. He will have a spot whether Iowa has 3 other LB's committed before him or not.

CRCy

Sep 13, 2016
Thats not true, Dallas Craddieth was an extra DB Iowa took last year.

The same can be said for Nick Henrich this cycle. He will have a spot whether Iowa has 3 other LB's committed before him or not.

You clearly missed-

"Sure they might take a 5th LB if things fall right, etc. but it allows them to move on."

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
You clearly missed-

"Sure they might take a 5th LB if things fall right, etc. but it allows them to move on."

This is universally true in recruiting I would have to imagine...if a recruit at or near the top of your board wants to commit, you take them. It doesn’t matter whether or not you are “full” at that position.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
You clearly missed-

Then the 2 scenarios you went through have the same concept in that both schools would always have room for their top targets.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
You old people sure are stubborn. Kids change their mind all the time. They might be "all in" and commit and later on want to make a couple more visits
True but you have to stay true to what you believe. MC takes a different approach and that's fine

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Haven't read any of this over the weekend and have no idea what happened in the spring practice because I just don't care but I bet I can guess what is happening on here since Friday:

Cytwins= oh my god look how bad x is. yikes. Repeated over and over probably about individuals and about position groups. maybe even a yikes about a coach thrown in here or there.
yeahbuddy = responding to cytwins, sometimes trolling sometimes not but still responding which makes Cytwins keep trolling.

And then round and round we go.

It's weird. They both care what the other thinks, which is what blows my mind.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves