On That Note: Hits that time forgot

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Welcome back to On That Note, @MeanDean/cyclones500’s weekly music series (with contributions from @CycloneRulzzz). This time, the focus is on songs that charted well, but faded somewhat from collective memory.

Some songs may exist as parts of collections (such as “hits of the decade” or genre-specific releases), but don’t get much “standalone” exposure anymore.

I plan to post clips along with year of release and top U.S. chart position (with occasional additional comments). This year/chart position is optional for all contributions, of course.

Key point: This topic differs from “one hit wonders,” which still tend to resurface. Most examples I found are by artists with multiple hits in top-40 range. (We’re bound to have exceptions along the way).

An example or two coming in my next post, to get us rolling. Meanwhile, chime in!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Two for starters.

“Shine a Little Love,” ELO (1979) … Billboard Hot 100: #6.

This was lead-off track to “Discovery” (which peaked at No. 5 on Billboard 200). As a single, it was in the same territory as two others from the LP, “Don’t Bring Me Down” and “Confusion” (both top 10 in US). “Don’t Bring Me Down” had more staying power, for whatever reason. (A theory, albeit unfair: Shine a Little Love is fringe-disco; DBMD is more rock-ish).

“3 Strange Days” -- School of Fish (1991) … U.S. mainstream #12; US Modern Rock #6

A slight exception to my one-hit-wonder rule (its only single to chart on US Main), but it doesn’t have the novelty element associated with many OHWs. I consider it an example of a "modern rock tweener” -- released in the sweet spot between hair-metal's dominance and the breakthrough of “grunge.”

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Two for starters.

This was lead-off track to “Discovery” (which peaked at No. 5 on Billboard 200). As a single, it was in the same territory as two others from the LP, “Don’t Bring Me Down” and “Confusion” (both top 10 in US). “Don’t Bring Me Down” had more staying power, for whatever reason. (A theory, albeit unfair: Shine a Little Love is fringe-disco; DBMD is more rock-ish).

“3 Strange Days” -- School of Fish (1991) … U.S. mainstream #12; US Modern Rock #6

A slight exception to my one-hit-wonder rule (its only single to chart on US Main), but it doesn’t have the novelty element associated with many OHWs. I consider it an example of a "modern rock tweener” -- released in the sweet spot between hair-metal's dominance and the breakthrough of “grunge.”

I honestly don't even remember/recognize the ELO cut. And I should because I was pretty heavy into music then and still at ISU. But had moved more out of the arena rock into more new wave stuff like Blondie, Police, Elvis Costello and even the Clash. So probably sort of dismissed it as a bit of "same old, same old" as it really just sounds typical ELO. Why it is ignored and Don't Bring Me Down is remembered, I don't know.

Reactions: cyclones500

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Georgie Fame (and the Blue Flames) "Yeh Yeh" Late1964. Only reached #21 here in the States but topped the charts in his native England.

I posted his "Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde" a couple weeks ago in the history music thread, which sort of reminded me of this one.

He's still out there performing - often with his contemporaries, Van Morrison and Bill Wyman

He also has the distinction of having his only 3 top ten song ALL 3 get to number 1.

Very much jazz influenced. Probably a bit too much for AM top 40, but still it did make some noise.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
This song was number 1 for 6 weeks and Rolling Stone rated it as the 41st most popular song of all time. It was also Michael's 7th top ten hit of the year. That is a huge song and I don't hear about this song ever. That's even though it is sung by, arguably, the two most popular musicians of the rock era.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Georgie Fame (and the Blue Flames) "Yeh Yeh" Late1964. Only reached #21 here in the States but topped the charts in his native England.

I posted his "Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde" a couple weeks ago in the history music thread, which sort of reminded me of this one.

He's still out there performing - often with his contemporaries, Van Morrison and Bill Wyman

He also has the distinction of having his only 3 top ten song ALL 3 get to number 1.

Very much jazz influenced. Probably a bit too much for AM top 40, but still it did make some noise.

Glad I didn't get through this without at least recognizing ONE song. I do remember this one getting quite a bit of airplay back in the day and none since.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
The first thing that jumped into my mind was a cross-over hit from 1982 by Sylvia. Sylvia was a country singer who was quite successful on those charts throughout the 1980s, with three top 10 country albums, eleven top 10 and two #1 songs on the country singles chart, and winning the Academy of Country Music's Female Vocalist Award for 1982 (in spite of NEVER being nominated for a CMA award in the same category).

The song is called "Nobody." It was the second single from the album "Just Sylvia" and it soared to #1. Then, pop radio caught on and it ran up the Billboard Hot 100 to #15 and Cashbox Top Singles to #9. "Nobody" won the BMI Song of the Year award for most country airplay. Billboard ranked it the #2 country song for all of 1982. Sylvia has said she loved the song immediately because of the hook. The very first time she heard the demo, she was singing along by the end and knew she HAD to record it.

Sylvia never had another pop hit, which was surprising because of how pop-friendly her music was. Songs like "Snapshot" and "Like Nothing Ever Happened" would have fit in well on pop radio. I think cross-over songs are possibly more readily forgotten and dismissed than others. Many people (who are old enough to remember) might think that "Nobody" was just a country song and forget that it was simply a massive HIT that didn't need to be categorized. There was no official video for "Nobody," unfortunately.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
The first thing that jumped into my mind was a cross-over hit from 1982 by Sylvia. Sylvia was a country singer who was quite successful on those charts throughout the 1980s, with three top 10 country albums, eleven top 10 and two #1 songs on the country singles chart, and winning the Academy of Country Music's Female Vocalist Award for 1982 (in spite of NEVER being nominated for a CMA award in the same category).

The song is called "Nobody." It was the second single from the album "Just Sylvia" and it soared to #1. Then, pop radio caught on and it ran up the Billboard Hot 100 to #15 and Cashbox Top Singles to #9. "Nobody" won the BMI Song of the Year award for most country airplay. Billboard ranked it the #2 country song for all of 1982. Sylvia has said she loved the song immediately because of the hook. The very first time she heard the demo, she was singing along by the end and knew she HAD to record it.

Sylvia never had another pop hit, which was surprising because of how pop-friendly her music was. Songs like "Snapshot" and "Like Nothing Ever Happened" would have fit in well on pop radio. I think cross-over songs are possibly more readily forgotten and dismissed than others. Many people (who are old enough to remember) might think that "Nobody" was just a country song and forget that it was simply a massive HIT that didn't need to be categorized. There was no official video for "Nobody," unfortunately.

This is a good one. I can't remember the rest of the lyrics but the chorus is now stuck in my head.

Reactions: Buster28

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This song was number 1 for 6 weeks and Rolling Stone rated it as the 41st most popular song of all time. It was also Michael's 7th top ten hit of the year. That is a huge song and I don't hear about this song ever. That's even though it is sung by, arguably, the two most popular musicians of the rock era.

Good example. I suppose that one got lost in the shuffle of Jackson's other big hits at the time ... also, I wonder if it had been on "Thriller" instead of McCartney's "Pipes of Peace," would it have maintained more presence? (Which sounds odd in itself).

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I honestly don't even remember/recognize the ELO cut. And I should because I was pretty heavy into music then and still at ISU. But had moved more out of the arena rock into more new wave stuff like Blondie, Police, Elvis Costello and even the Clash. So probably sort of dismissed it as a bit of "same old, same old" as it really just sounds typical ELO.

I had at least a couple transitional periods like that, when my focus in taste was changing. One came around 1984-85. Artists I had consumed heavily in late-70s/early-80s that were still active, I have sort of a gap.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Two for starters.

I don't remember that School of Fish song at all, and I really love 90s music. I wonder if it hit just a little too early to be part of the "Grunge" era and just fell aside.

I'm listening to their two albums now and I think I'll add some of their songs to my library. Good stuff.

As for the ELO song, I think you are right and it was a little too Disco to be a well remembered hit. DBMD has that rock hook to it that is just has more staying power.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames

I still like this song. It was released during a time when I was working in a music store, so I got to hear a lot of stuff I might not have heard otherwise. Ended up getting the CD (which I still have).

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Two for starters.

You know what, watching the School of Fish video again, I can see why it didn't fit in the grunge era. The sound could fit, but they are way too clean cut. Great song though.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The first thing that jumped into my mind was a cross-over hit from 1982 by Sylvia.

I hadn't thought about that song in years! Excellent sample.

I associate it with a specific radio memory (if my memory is reliable — anyone in-the-know can correct me on the details). Excuse my indulgent side-tracking here.

Around the time "Nobody" was hit, I was listening a lot to KWSL 1470-AM from Sioux City, specifically remember doing farm work and listening to that station in the tractor cab.

My previous go-to rock station, WOW in Omaha, had recently switched to country format (which some in my peer group felt was a massive betrayal at the time) so KWSL was about the only rock/pop outlet within earshot where I lived.

Then I noticed the rotation was becoming extremely narrow (even by radio standards) and Nobody was among the set list, so I heard that several times a day for weeks. Jump ahead a couple of months, and I'll be damned, KWSL switched to country. Ugh. That's when I abandoned AM radio.

Before this post, I searched online and the station is now Spanish adult hits format on iHeart. Things change!

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A few more for the list

“Love Is Alive,” Gary Wright (1976) … #2 Hot 100, spent 27 weeks on the chart, seven longer than “Dream Weaver.” (It has been covered numerous times since, more than I realized until I was doing research). I still think this song has a cool groove.

“Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin),” Sly and The Family Stone (1969) … #1 Hot 100 …. SATFS gets short-shrifted as it is, but other than “Everyday People” (which also went to #1) I don’t hear much else anywhere.

“Hitchin a Ride,” Vanity Fare (1970) #5 Billboard

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Two for starters.

THE GREATEST BAND THAT NEVER WAS...
Hearing 3 Strange reminds me of another band from 1990. I was living in a duplex on Beach across from the stadium at the time and I remember receiving a CD-sampler in the mail of a band called Maggie's Dream and it was awesome! I was impressed by the marketing effort. This was around the same era as Living Color who played at JTS with Rolling Stones. I went ahead and bought the full CD and it was great. Wish they'd stuck around, or gained traction longer.

Last edited:

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Following Living Colour's first two albums and how successful they were I was really looking forward to their third album. It went without much notice, and they disappeared thereafter. But one track from that album was really good and should have gotten more airplay: