Okie State's New Video Board in 2018

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I'm sorry that I posted this to the Basketball Forum. I have requested that it be moved to the Football Forum.
Actually, it belongs in the Big 12 Forum. :) Basketball/Football forums are for ISU-related sport-specific posts.

Edit: and it looks like that's exactly where it is now.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Maybe they can flip it around during basketball season and show a video of a GIA crowd during Eddie Sutton's days.

I went to an OSU bball game this year. Their attendance is flat pathetic. Huge mistake adding on to GIA the way they did.

On a side note OSU is building some new soccer and baseball facilities which are going to end up being really nice when done.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
I'm no architect but that must be an April fools joke or the board will be somewhere else. It covers the whole building, and right behind the goal post. Maybe I need my glasses or the photo is somehow compressed?

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

danwbarrett

Mar 29, 2006
University City, MO
I'm no architect but that must be an April fools joke or the board will be somewhere else. It covers the whole building, and right behind the goal post. Maybe I need my glasses or the photo is somehow compressed?
Well that's how they usually do things at OSU:
1. Late 80's: OSU lowers stadium field to add seats on sidelines that results in nearly everyone in the stadium not able to see plays along the sidelines near the endzone, minimal sinelines for the teams and band, and requiring cushions on the stadium walls near the end-zones and
2. 2000: Gallagher-Iba Arena (east end of Boone Pickens Stadium) expanded from 6,381 seats to 13,611 seats by moving out the walls and raising the roof. That pushed the arena closer to the stadium.

The new video board will be close to the arena and goal posts as the picture shows.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Cool for them and I'm sure will be nice for game days. However, you get to a certain size of video board and they're all the same time. JTS has two nice ones. Not the hugest but I can see exactly what I need to for replays ect.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
What building is that board blocking? Is that like the coaches offices, similar to the Jacobson Building at ISU? That seems unfortunate that all those windows have to get covered up, and I'm guessing that building is used during the games as well? It would have made more sense to almost have two (albeit smaller) boards straddle the open spaces between that building and the stadium seating.

Edit: I didn't realize GIA was that close to the football stadium. Still seems like a poor location for that board.

Graves said another unique feature of this board is its brightness. He said it registers at 11,000 nits of brightness, while most similar boards measure 7,000 nits. The reason for the amplified brightness is to account for the fact that OSU's board faces west. That said, the brightness can be adjusted manually to achieve optimum brightness regardless of the position of the sun.
I do AV installs and work with digital signage. To explain that nits measurement: when I install a TV in a room with a lot of windows/ambient light, it typically registers in the 500-1000 nits range. An outdoor-rated TV can maybe get to 2000 nits. 11,000 is going to be crazy bright.

Last edited: