Back to the Future Gets Time Travel Wrong.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
This is all so silly. Time is just the measurement of how long something takes or a marker based on how long it has been since something or how long it will be until something else.

History and time are not the same thing. History is what happened. Time is just markers about when something happened. You can't go back.

Even if you were to travel fast enough in the opposite direction of the earth's rotation, you don't go back in time. At best, you arrive one millisecond after you left. Just because the clock and calendar can't mark it with our current system, time still moves forward.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This is all so silly. Time is just the measurement of how long something takes or a marker based on how long it has been since something or how long it will be until something else.

I mean, its a little bit more complicated than that, given time dilation and whatnot

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
This is all so silly.
What is played out is not time travel as reality per se but the logical implications of "if this than that" as presented in the movies.

I love both movies but see a lot of problems with time travel as portrayed in these and other plots. Suspending disbelief is needed to go back in time (science makes predictions of possibly moving into the future} as beating time's arrow (always pointed forward) seems implausible.

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I HATE time travel movies because if you went back in time and changed something the future would change and that means you Wouldn't necessarily go back in time to begin with. It's a cyclical loop of impossibilities.
You have given the link dealio in a nutshell.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Stewie didn't get it quite right either.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: CycoCyclone

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I HATE time travel movies because if you went back in time and changed something the future would change and that means you Wouldn't necessarily go back in time to begin with. It's a cyclical loop of impossibilities.

I think what is fun about Back to the Future is they aren't trying to convince you it's logically solid. They have fun with it hence the Delorean and Flux Capacitor. They just use it to help aid a fun story. Still one of the best movies ever.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
the guy invents time travel by falling off the toilet. I don't think accurate time travel science was the films focus. Pipe down and enjoy a fantastic movie.