Purchasing an Engagement Ring

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I took my fiance with me to the store and had the salesman show her different clarity, color, etc. to see where she could no longer tell the difference. Then that's the one I purchased.

• Agree
Reactions: ZB4CY

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Go with your gut. You can spend what you feel comfortable and put some thought into it you'll be fine. If she's truly the one she won't be a gold digger, she'll appreciate the ring. Just put some effort into the proposal.

I had a pretty good experience with mine. I went to Gilger in Ames after gathering info online. Spotted 1 of his designs and I think I went with a diamond between a .8 - .9 carat. Placed a couple of each of her birth stones on the insets. Paid for about half with cash and "financed" with him. He didn't charge me any interest and I had it paid off in 5 months.

Surprised my then gf with the proposal on a mountain top and she loved the ring, was very caught off guard. All her friends predicted a proposal on the trip, but she didn't believe them.
Nice idea with the proposal. Another area I'm currently debating on. Her mom passed away a few years back, and I've played around with the idea of taking her to the cemetery where she's buried and pulling the ring out next to her mom's grave.

I've had people tell me this is a great idea, but am aware it could also come off as a bit dark.

• Funny
  • Dislike
Reactions: nickcyv and Cycsk

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Nice idea with the proposal. Another area I'm currently debating on. Her mom passed away a few years back, and I've played around with the idea of taking her to the cemetery where she's buried and pulling the ring out next to her mom's grave.

I've had people tell me this is a great idea, but am aware it could also come off as a bit dark.

Yeah, I don't know that I'd pull that move.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I also got my mount from one store and the stone from a diamond dealer. The dealer only had a 4 pronged mount and I wanted a 6 pronged one for stone security.

Another tip, if you want it to be the right size when you give it to her, watch if she ever wears a ring on the ring finger of either hand. If so, get a hold of that ring and have it sized. Even if she wears it on the right hand, they are generally the same or nearly the same size so your ring will be really close to correct when you give it to her. I couldn't get that ring away from her for long but tried it on my fingers and discovered it fit one of my pinkies so I could just size that pinkie for her ring size.

On a related note, you also should ask to take a look at your stone through their gem microscope when you take it in for cleaning or repair unless it never leaves your sight. That way they know you know exactly what your stone looks like. If you have to leave it there ask to look at it again when you pick it up. You can also do a quick diagram of the flaws for your reference. There have been cases of less reputable jewelers switching people's stones for ones of lesser quality so they can sell the purloined stone.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines

You obviously know her better than we do but..
giphy.gif

Reactions: Macloney

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I felt like I got a better deal by buying the diamond, and having them set it. But I was going for the simple look--not a lot of crap on the ring other than the diamond. The wedding band had plenty of that extra crap!

I'll agree with clarity and color being more important than size. Of course size is important, but she doesn't want a big dull yellow diamond.

cyclonestans

Dec 20, 2013
Iowa
What are some rules of thumb to follow?

Spend "x" months income? How do you decide your budget?
Shop at more than 1 store?
If you can't pay cash, how should you finance? What should a down-payment look like if so?
Do you need the jewelry insurance, or is this similar to the bogus warranties car salesmen try to push?

SIAP, look into a personal articles policy or something of that nature. While most homeowners policies (this includes renters) cover jewelry they are generally subject to deductible and named perils. There is however personal articles policies that cover all perils and have a zero deductible.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I felt like I got a better deal by buying the diamond, and having them set it. But I was going for the simple look--not a lot of crap on the ring other than the diamond. The wedding band had plenty of that extra crap!

I'll agree with clarity and color being more important than size. Of course size is important, but she doesn't want a big dull yellow diamond.
Who knows yellow diamonds may become a big deal. Hell they took diamonds they just about couldn't give away because of terrible color and marketed them as "chocolate diamonds" to create a market for them and amazingly a whole market was created out of thin air.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
We went on a trip together and on the last day she told me she was disappointed that I hadn't asked her on the trip since it was a prime opportunity. Little did she know that the ring was in the safe back at the hotel. I went to the hotel office when we got back late "to complain about a problem with our room" but when I got back to our room I told her that they said the moon was fantastic so we should go out on the beach and see it. Actually the moon was full and fantastic and I proposed on the beach. We were in Mexico so I proposed in Spanish.
calm down there casanova.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This is probably a good time for me to restate another safety reminder.

Rings are for boys and girls who aren't doing heavy or dangerous jobs. If you are doing physical labor leave your ring on the night stand and make sure you come home to your sweetie safe and in one piece. I know of too many people who have lost a finger due to a ring catching on something as innocuous as a basketball net or the back of a hay rack. I also have heard of someone being electrocuted when his ring contacted and wedged in a live electrical panel. It isn't worth the risk for sentimentality. Explain to him or her why you are doing it and live up to your vows so they don't have to worry.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
calm down there casanova.
It was special to her specifically because I'm not a Casanova. Just trying to give him ideas on how to personalize the moment and make it special. She was expecting it on the trip so I tried to find a way to surprise her anyway.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Don't shop at any chain as they are crazy high. I bought directly from a broker in downtown Chicago that my sister knew.

We did something similar. In the early 90's, we lived in the Chicago area and went to a jeweler in the Jewelers' Row downtown Chicago. They were great. We ended up designing our own rings and they built them for us. Very affordable. Great quality. Much better than just going to a store.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

If this fits your relationship with her, then I suppose you could do it. Do you spend a lot of time with her at her mother's grave? Creeps me out. In fact, I'm a little scared about replying to your post.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
For insurance, yes get the insurance as you never know how she might lose it. I added on a personal article policy when I was at State Farm. Cost like $30/year. I did not add it to the homeowners insuance because I did not want to have to pay the deductible or make a homeowners claim. There are places you and buy standalone ring insurance. Jewelers Mutual is a Geico company that sells policies online.

I was recommended Jeweler's Mutual (it's not a GEICO company; GEICO just sourced all of their jewelry coverage through them) by Joseph's Jewelers because the claims experience at least on their end with other big insurance companies apparently wasn't great with little things like where you can get a replacement from, types of loss and service. Definitely worth looking into what exactly is covered and not; adding it on to a Homeowners/renters or a personal article policy might have a list of excluded losses. Haven't had a claim yet and hopefully won't need it.

serverguy

Apr 11, 2006
From the financial and insurance side make sure you update the appraisal with your insurance company every few years. If you have to file a claim it will be based on that.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
If this fits your relationship with her, then I suppose you could do it. Do you spend a lot of time with her at her mother's grave? Creeps me out. In fact, I'm a little scared about replying to your post.
Her mother was the nearest and dearest person to her in life. She was, and still is devastated by the loss (it was breast cancer). I thought it would be symbolic in a way, of being able to do this in front of her mom. Obviously I will get her father's blessing, but this would be the closest I could get to including her mom. If any of that makes sense...which it's starting to less and less.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Her mother was the nearest and dearest person to her in life. She was, and still is devastated by the loss (it was breast cancer). I thought it would be symbolic in a way, of being able to do this in front of her mom. Obviously I will get her father's blessing, but this would be the closest I could get to including her mom. If any of that makes sense...which it's starting to less and less.

Seems like you want to make this special for you and her, not focus so much on it being part of her grief. Maybe go to her mother's grave later to "show her" the ring and "include" her in the big day.

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis
legally it's considered a gift i believe
"A conditional gift is one where the giver gives the gift to the receiver with the expectation that some future event or action will take place. If the agreed-upon event does not occur or the agreed-upon condition is not met, then the gift-giver has the right to get the gift back. The majority of courts classify engagement rings as a conditional gift, and award the engagement ring to the giver in broken engagement cases."

https://family.findlaw.com/marriage/what-happens-to-the-engagement-ring-in-a-broken-engagement.html