Iowa Toll Road?

Cyczech

Feb 24, 2013
Rockford IL
Don't do it, Iowa. Don't open that box.

The toll road would never leave. It will expand and expand and never go away.

It's a deal with the devil. A bad deal with the devil
Agreed. Why do some people in Iowa look to Illinois policies as a template for the future? Whatever they do use it as the "what not to do". History will be on your side.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I-80 in eastern Iowa reminds me of the driverless semis and horse trailer crash scene in the last Wolverine movie. Honk honk zoom zoom zoom zoom honk!

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Study after study show the more lanes you add, the more traffic you add. Right now, based off trip numbers, the busiest two sections of Interstate are 35 between Ames and Des Moines (about 45,000 ADT) and 380 between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City (about 50,000 ADT). Outside of the DM metro, 80 is busiest between the Quad Cities and Iowa City, but it is still between 30,000 and 35,000 ADT.

Get the first two done, and then worry about 80. I like the idea of a toll road as it brings in out of state monies to help pay for it.

This is interesting to me. Is the increase in traffic strictly because a lane was added or was a lane added because the DOT knew more traffic was coming in the future. I80 seems like on of those that people are going to travel on regardless of how many lanes are available. If you want to get from Omaha to Davenport, what other options are you going to consider? Traffic would have to get really bad before people started taking rural roads.

I could see this being the case for a stretch of road like 235 but not a 300+ mile interstate.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
That would cause a lot of traffic, especially trucks, to avoid Iowa. Hwy 34 and Hwy 30 would get a lot busier. Then the DOT would whine about the increased wear and tear on those roads. Trucks that could would go I-90 or I-70 around Iowa.

They would whine, but then come up with the obvious solution to make 34 and 30 toll roads. Expansion for safety and whatnot

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
That would cause a lot of traffic, especially trucks, to avoid Iowa. Hwy 34 and Hwy 30 would get a lot busier. Then the DOT would whine about the increased wear and tear on those roads. Trucks that could would go I-90 or I-70 around Iowa.

Maybe they would start using highway 20 in western Iowa, which is a complete waste of money.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Not true at all. Trucks are going to go the shortest distance 99 times out of 100. Fuel cost alone would offset that minor of an expense.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
So what are you saying? Are you saying Iowa is a less expensive per mile. It looks like the Pennsylvania turnpike is about 50 miles longer.
Looks like Iowa would charge a bit less for cars, but more for trucks. And, it is hypothetical, as it looks like it will not go any further than the discussion range.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Not true at all. Trucks are going to go the shortest distance 99 times out of 100. Fuel cost alone would offset that minor of an expense.

Bingo. That is an industry that is based on time. Although they may ***** about the increased cost it is a drop in the bucket compared to driving tens if not hundreds of miles out of the way.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Maybe they would start using highway 20 in western Iowa, which is a complete waste of money.

Why was it a waste of money? The 4 lane hasn't even been completed up in NW Iowa yet but the increase in traffic is off the charts. Iowa's infrastructure in the northern 1/3rd of the state was severely lacking.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Branstad's fuel tax increase wasn't enough, apparently. Increases in taxes...never enough.

Yes what happened to that money. Before anything is done the DOT needs to look at how bad they are getting screwed by contractors. Then they need to look at how they spend money. They can afford to plant, tear out, and replant trees over and over yet they cannot afford to mow the medians.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
How about three other projects that need updating instead:

1) Highway 17 between Wesley and Eagle Grove
2) Highway 18 between Clear Lake to Spencer
3) Blow up Mason City...has to be the worst city to drive through in Iowa besides Sac City

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Why was it a waste of money? The 4 lane hasn't even been completed up in NW Iowa yet but the increase in traffic is off the charts. Iowa's infrastructure in the northern 1/3rd of the state was severely lacking.

Once you get west of 35 on highway 20 you see about 1 car every 5 miles. I'd rather have seen them add additional lanes to highways/interstates that actual see some volume. Expansion was not needed and this was more political than anything.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron