NIT field ...

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Wow Okie State got a great draw. USC is not deserving of a #1 seed. Don't believe they beat a tourney team all year.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
See they are doing the 4 quarter system in the NIT. God I hope this isn't leading to a permanent change. The 2 half format is fine.

I'm afraid the change to quarters is coming at some point, weather we fans like it or not. They have already gone to it on the women's side. It did take me awhile to get used too it, but, it is growing on me now

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I'm afraid the change to quarters is coming at some point, weather we fans like it or not. They have already gone to it on the women's side. It did take me awhile to get used too it, but, it is growing on me now

They've already ruined selection Sunday, why not just go ahead and finish off college basketball for good.

• Funny
Reactions: harimad and cdface

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I sometimes feel bad for the analysts when watching an NIT game, especially someone I like, like Fran Fraschilla. You can almost hear it in his voice he wishes he was calling the games that actually matter.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The two halves has never made sense to me. Every other level of basketball plays quarters.

i'm kinda with you, it's pretty meh to me but it was something unique about the college game. The thing I don't like quarters though are the foul changes that come along with it. It sounds like they want to get rid of 1 and 1's.

I don't mind extending the lane or 3 point line which is the other change they are testing out in the NIT. At some point though you need to extend the width of the court because the corners are closed in where the 3 point line is.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
See they are doing the 4 quarter system in the NIT. God I hope this isn't leading to a permanent change. The 2 half format is fine.
I personally dont care one way or the other. Honestly, whats the difference? I question the benefit to the NCAA by going to 4 quarters, and I question the harm to teams/fans by going away from 2 halves.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Wow Okie State got a great draw. USC is not deserving of a #1 seed. Don't believe they beat a tourney team all year.
And couldn't beat Western Kentucky at HOME to get a trip to Madison Square Garden. Doh! For them

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
The two halves has never made sense to me. Every other level of basketball plays quarters.

This is exactly why they will change it. It does seem to speed up the game for the women too me but, there are not typically the number of fouls called in those games so the real test would be on the mens side

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
i'm kinda with you, it's pretty meh to me but it was something unique about the college game. The thing I don't like quarters though are the foul changes that come along with it. It sounds like they want to get rid of 1 and 1's.

I don't mind extending the lane or 3 point line which is the other change they are testing out in the NIT. At some point though you need to extend the width of the court because the corners are closed in where the 3 point line is.

That's how the women's game is. 1 and 1's suck, IMO, especially when you have a team and/or shooter who is not a good free throw shooter (which we have had plenty at ISU). If going to 4 quarters gets rid of the 1 and 1, it leans me to support the change.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Next year’s experiment should be no three point shot and no shot clock.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
That's how the women's game is. 1 and 1's suck, IMO, especially when you have a team and/or shooter who is not a good free throw shooter (which we have had plenty at ISU). If going to 4 quarters gets rid of the 1 and 1, it leans me to support the change.

Ya 1 and 1's are insanely cheap and rarely ever occur due to the reason I'm sure it was created and intended for. It's just a cheap way to try to get back into a game, but it does make the drama a little more fun.

I agree though that it sucks when your team is on the losing end of them, as we have been many times.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
60% of the time, ISU misses the front end of a 1 and 1 everytime.

• Funny
Reactions: chuckd4735

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa

You are correct, with the change to quarters would also come new foul rules
- Team fouls reset to 0 at the qtr break
- 1 and 1 eliminated in favor of 2 shots starting with the 5th team foul of the qtr.
- No foul reset in OT (team fouls carry over and teams stay in the "Bonus" for the rest of the game

I think the 5 foul is too high. It may not be for men but, it is for the women. Teams rarely get to the bonus and it hurts a team like ISU that shoots FTs well and likes to get to the line

Last edited:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Next year’s experiment should be no three point shot and no shot clock.

giphy.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron