Dante No Longer On The Roster

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’ve heard from multiple people that were at nationals and raved about degens fight and showing. Underscored by his freshman status. Is this valid?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I’ve heard from multiple people that were at nationals and raved about degens fight and showing. Underscored by his freshman status. Is this valid?

I watched all of Degen’s matches, and I think he showed really, really well.

McCrystal is good, and Degen’s win against him was no fluke. I actually think he outwrestled Heilmann, but Heilmann was just stronger. He eventually lost to a former National champ (Tsirtsis) in a match that could have gone either way.

EDIT: Heilmann finished 4th, losing a decision to Zain in the semifinals and Kolodzik in the 3rd place match. Kolodzik was considered to be a break out guy in the tournament, and beat Heilmann 3-2.

• Agree
Reactions: csteve and jkbuff98

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Not surprising with Degen there and Leisure showing a lot of promise.
Agree fully there Buf. I think Leisure is kind of a forgotten man sometimes but he has very high upside. I think he will compete at 157 next year.

Another guy that people are sleeping on IMO: Alex Mackall. I know people are going to look at his record wrestling up at 133 and not expect much, but I think he is going to surprise people next year if he stays healthy. He will be a big 125 - His motor runs hot and he has a nice attack rate - Our staff is a great fit for him - He had some very nice wins in HS and was rated higher than Parker and Degen in the Class of 2016. Was a national runner-up in HS too.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Glad he stuck the season out and thanks for his work/time. Dante was fun to watch. Will be best move for both parties!

• Agree
Reactions: 6scrapper7

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not alarmed with departures now. Kids have had a chance to see what the staff is about and how they fit. I have no bad feelings for ones changing at this point. Start next year with those that want to be here and with this staff and move forward.

• Agree
Reactions: 6scrapper7

cyclonenation5

Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I'll remember the good times with Dante, like when he headlocked and pinned future Olympian Jesse Thielke as a true freshman. Still one of the coolest things I've seen, especially knowing how good Thielke is in upper body situations.

Best of luck to him in the future, and I hope he continues to wrestle.