On That Note: Songs By “Someone Else”

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Welcome back to "On That Note," @MeanDean/cyclones500 weekly music exploration.

This week's focus: What songs have you mistakenly attributed to the incorrect artist or group? How did you become aware of your mistake? Did you ever set anyone straight about their misattribution?

To initiate the conversation, here's an example. I didn't confuse these, but apparently it’s a common misconception. And I can totally understand how someone could get it wrong.

The song: Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress)
Erroneous performer: Creedence Clearwater Revival
Actual performer: The Hollies

Last week’s OTN — a two-fer!:
(1) Mood Elevator
(2) Was it Recorded in Ames?

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Great music thread idea. I been listening to the Iheart channel that features old Casey Kasem Top 40's from the 70's and 80's. Not only is in fun to listen songs from long ago I love how within the countdown Casey always had great nuggets of music history / stories.

I was listening to a one of his countdowns from 1987 when the top hit was I think Were Alone Now by Tiffany. Always thought that was hers but Casey informed on this show that it was a remake as the original artist was Tommy James and the Shondells. He always brought up that the song right behind it in the countdown that followed Tiffany's song at number 1 was Mony Mony by Billy Idol which also happened to be a Tommy James and the Shondells remake.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Another Casey story that is topical to this is the Famous song Louie Louie which has been recorded over 1,000 times (most famously by the Kingsmen) was a song written and song originally by Richard Berry. Berry needed money to pay for his wedding in 1959, and so he sold the copyright of the song for only $750. Eventually in the mid 80's while on welfare he was able to regain some rights to the song and finally got some much needed money.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Another Casey story that is topical to this is the Famous song Louie Louie which has been recorded over 1,000 times (most famously by the Kingsmen) was a song written and song originally by Richard Berry. Berry needed money to pay for his wedding in 1959, and so he sold the copyright of the song for only $750. Eventually in the mid 80's while on welfare he was able to regain some rights to the song and finally got some much needed money.

Richard Berry's wife, Dorothy Berry, released two singles on this label. Both flopped at the time but are now Northern Soul legends, especially this one. An interesting tidbit tying this back to your 70's era is that the song is written and produced by none other than Dave Gates. AKA David Gates, the guy from/leader of the group Bread. I love this one from 1964!

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Not exactly the same thing, but I didn't realize until my late teens that "Dream On" was Aerosmith, because the vocals sound NOTHING like Steven Tyler.
I just heard this on the radio recently and thought, "I know this is Aerosmith but it sounds nothing like Steven Tyler."

• Winner
Reactions: Lexclone

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Early on, it was a real pain differentiating between Jan & Dean and the Beach Boys when I first heard the songs. Bobby Vee & Bobby Vinton sounded very similar too.

In a similar vein, it was difficult for me to tell the difference between The Mamas & The Papas and Spanky and our Gang. In particular Cass Elliott and Spanky McFarlane sound very similar. I started listening to The Mamas & The Papas well after they had disbanded, and had a "greatest hits" type album of theirs. From time to time I would hear these cool songs on the oldies station that sounded very much like The Mamas & The Papas but the songs weren't on my greatest hits album. I came to find out these songs were by Spanky and our Gang.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Most of my mixups are when lead singers change bands or go solo like Cream and Eric Clapton.

Also, for some reason I always attributed Stuck in the Middle with You to Bob Dylan instead of Stealers Wheel.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Most of my mixups are when lead singers change bands or go solo like Cream and Eric Clapton.

Also, for some reason I always attributed Stuck in the Middle with You to Bob Dylan instead of Stealers Wheel.

To be fair, Stuck in the Middle with you is a brilliant imitation of Dylan.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
During the heyday of music sharing, there was a cover of Snoop Dogg's "Gin and Juice" that was floating around Napster (and other file-sharing sites) that was attributed to the band Phish. Based on this (and the fact I hadn't listened to a lot of Phish), I assumed it was by Phish. It was actually by a band called the Gourds.

Reactions: cyguy9320

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron