I'm sorry, I just can't believe Baylor is in the news AGAIN!

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
The only reason Baylor is in the Big 12 and not Houston today is because Ann Richards was Governor of Texas and flexed some political power.

https://www2.baylor.edu/baylorproud/2016/01/ann-richards-governor-trailblazer-and-baylor-legend/

I wonder if the Big 12 could use these repeated instances to remove Baylor and add a team of their choosing.

The keys would be: 1) Does Texas want it to happen? 2) Does Oklahoma care? and 3) Would the networks prefer a new partner? (Nothing to do with morals or integrity).

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
The keys would be: 1) Does Texas want it to happen? 2) Does Oklahoma care? and 3) Would the networks prefer a new partner? (Nothing to do with morals or integrity).

1.) From what I understand, there's bad blood between Houston and Texas. Maybe going back to the last time they played in football, when the temp seats at the UH stadium were deemed unsafe and the two couldn't come to an agreement on changing the venue? When Herman left UH, they offered a home/home in bball and football as a way to reduce the buyout, Texas declined. Also remember Texas wanting to build an urban campus in Houston and UH not liking that.

2.) OU only cares about OU.

3.) IDK, but do either draw enough to move the needle one way or another?

• Informative
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
The only reason Baylor is in the Big 12 and not Houston today is because Ann Richards was Governor of Texas and flexed some political power.

https://www2.baylor.edu/baylorproud/2016/01/ann-richards-governor-trailblazer-and-baylor-legend/

I wonder if the Big 12 could use these repeated instances to remove Baylor and add a team of their choosing.

Well apparently some of the Big 12 coaches are afraid to recruit against a potential juggernaut in Houston. Tom Herman was able to kick that program into high gear without P5 membership. Imagine what they could accomplish with major conference status. They could easily become Miami of the 80s & 90s.

But wouldn't that be good for conference health?? We could use another dominant program in our league. Oklahoma has been pulling their weight, but Texas certainly has not been lately. TCU, KSU, WVU, & OSU often overachieve but will they ever be considered blue bloods?

Reactions: skibumspe

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't disagree with the first sentence. I also don't think replacing Baylor with Houston affects the money at all.

Honestly, I could see it being a financial opportunity. Baylor has a small fanbase and doesn't draw that well. Being a private school, they're room for growth is limited too. They've basically been grandfathered in to P5 status.

Houston could really boost their profile in the spot, and being a large public school, could maximize that opportunity and be a more valuable conference member than Baylor in short time, as well as not be a constant human rights embarrassment.

Agreed, plus bumping Houston in A&M's backyard could weaken them.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
The NCAA condones sexual assault.

Agreed. But getting rid of BU has to come from the conference anyway. I suspect other members would be reluctant to set a precedence of kicking out members for lack of institutional control but damn, BU is just a disaster.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Three months into their "investigation" and no action. I think they were hoping that this would just quietly go away. Good on the local news affiliate in Waco for breaking the story. It would suck if the only way the school could be spurred to act was by public pressure, but if that's what it takes to get them to do anything then so be it.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Kick Baylor out. Add Cincy.

shooter.jpg

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I'm sure this time they will fix things. It's not like they just had a huge sex assault scandal that got their coach and freaking college president to be removed.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I’m sorry, I just can’t believe you didn’t post this in the Big 12 forum, where it belongs!

(Couln’t resist. And I really need a jimlad for this!)
It was a coin toss. The incident happened before Iowa State played Baylor in football this past fall, and it involved members of the football team molesting members of their equestrian team, so...

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Well apparently some of the Big 12 coaches are afraid to recruit against a potential juggernaut in Houston. Tom Herman was able to kick that program into high gear without P5 membership. Imagine what they could accomplish with major conference status. They could easily become Miami of the 80s & 90s.

But wouldn't that be good for conference health?? We could use another dominant program in our league. Oklahoma has been pulling their weight, but Texas certainly has not been lately. TCU, KSU, WVU, & OSU often overachieve but will they ever be considered blue bloods?
Being afraid will kill the conference eventually. Add talent if you can. I'd take this trade tomorrow. Screw Baylor.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I think the lawsuits Baylor would throw at the Big 12 would be the biggest sticking point with making a change.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
The conference could kick them out and backfill with Houston immediately.

If OU would be ok with it, I would do it in a heart beat and it would be a HUGE win for the league. Switzer in the past was very vocal about not granting Houston P5 status in the league for recruiting reasons.

But if OU would approve it, IMO Houston would increase the ratings for our existing games more than any other G5 school and possibly more than a lot of P5 schools. Right now Houston is a Big 12 market but not a Big 12 town and that market is huge for tv and recruits. A Big 12 team in Houston increases ratings Houston is involved in but also would intensify the ratings for other Texahoma games because we would have a team in the market. In the past Texas A&M provided that.

It probably wouldn't happen but if the league could kick out Baylor, now or at tv negotiations the real steal would be to get Nebraska or Arkansas to take the 10th spot and stick at 10. Even better yet convince the Huskers to come and get the SEC to take WVU and let Arkansas come to the Big 12. That move wouldn't hurt the SEC at all market and ratings wise and it would be a better athletic home for Arkansas. Probably won't happen but both programs would be better off athletically in the Big 12 than their current leagues.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
The conference can take their Big 12 Money away. Hit them where it hurts. College athletics is all about $$$ anyway.

cyco4tds

Aug 16, 2015
If we are fortunate enough to get rid of one Texas school, we should never add one back.
totally agree. If we add a school to replace Baylor, I think it should be Tulane. They were once a member of the SEC and we would move into New Orleans. New stadium. Great academics. A win for ISU each year.

• Dislike
Reactions: drmwevr08

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
totally agree. If we add a school to replace Baylor, I think it should be Tulane. They were once a member of the SEC and we would move into New Orleans. New stadium. Great academics. A win for ISU each year.

Look at the Big10 adding Rutgers. Adding a team from the area does not give you that market. The only college sports that anyone cares about in Louisiana is LSU.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Brands and ratings draws matter now. Kick Baylor out, see if Nebby or Arkansas is interested in coming home.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron